Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: A database of gardeners in e' county

Default A database of gardeners in e' county

Loads of grass cutters posting here. Also a few gardeners. It's a big county, and most of us will - indeed can only afford - to work within a certain area. I ask the moderators here, can we have a sticky? Gardeners in e' County? Lets have a platform to post our services, within this Gardening section. That way we can identify what we do and the area within which we work. Instead of loads of random posts. Moderators, can we gardeners and grass cutters have that facility? I think it is a sensible request, and one which would be of benefit to others. A Gardener's database as a sticky would help gardeners and clients.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

Excellent idea.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

great idea hope it's aloud

Don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. It does exactly what e' org forums are about. It brings people together. Now just need a moderator to chip in here.

E' org has a problem with it's "Contact Us" link. That link takes us directly to Bill, who I am sure has better things to do with his time . . . I'm not going to follow that link, out of respect to Bill, and because there should be a better and more up-to-date way under the Contact Us button. Moderators should pick up on things like this, without being asked. But they should be contactable. The "Contact Us" link shouldn't take us to Bill, it should take us to moderators. Come on, it's not rocket science. Just sort it.

Being able to identify Gardeners/Grasscutters in a certain area is all well and good assuming that once one has been located they have the courtesy to attend when arranged and are reliable enough to complete the job instead of getting paid, with promises to return, and then are not seen again, leaving the job half finished. Due to this it is necessary to source other gardeners who may not come from the immediate vicinity.

That's an interesting reply. I don't think we have met, so I guess I have not let you down. Never pay anything up front to anybody, gardener, builder, roofer or anybody. You obviously have had a bad experience. There are bad apples in every barrel. All the more reason to have a dedicated place for gardeners to post their services. Then those who have had a bad experience can post there too. It works both ways, surely?

There is another snag, if you lump us all in together there are grass cutters who when asked "can you?" cannot resist saying yes even when they are not capable of the task requested they just see the "dollar signs" and leave the mess and us " Gardeners " get the flack best keep us separate.

Thats's a very good point. An honest gardener will say no if he's too busy. I've just seen a post from a grass cutter asking folk to pm him with the price they are currently paying, and he'll undercut it. That's not the way we do business. There's plenty work for those who do a decent job. If you're only approach is to threaten to undercut others, you might need to think about your own quality of work.

It seemed like a good idea, to bring us all together in one place where the customer can decide. I pass on work to other gardeners, and they pass work on to me, depending on how busy we are. But maybe it's not a good idea after all. It would be hijacked by the cowboys.

there is a saying once bitten twice shy
    works for everything if someone says they will do job then not bother to turn up then you dont contact them again plenty other people out there wiling to do the jobs others leave behind