Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Manchester votes to be part of Scotland

Default Manchester votes to be part of Scotland

72% of Manchester Evening News readers vote in a poll to join Scotland. They don't want Westminster tory rule either!

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....-votes-9254231
    Last edited by Rheghead; 14-May-15 at 20:08.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    72% of Manchester Evening News readers vote in a poll to join Scotland. They don't want Westminster tory rule either!http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....-votes-9254231
    That would be pointless considering the majority of scots dont want to break away

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    That would be pointless considering the majority of scots dont want to break away
    The majority of Scots got scared into not breaking away.

Scared by what?

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    Scared by what?
    Oh I'm not going into all that again, I'm sure we remember what was said.

what about those people who did not vote in Scotland whose side were they on the yes or the or the no

Oh I'm not going into all that again, I'm sure we remember what was said.
    Sorry to disallusion you, but I for one (and I am just one of many) was not scared in 2014, or 1979 as it happens. Unless you spoke to each individual who voted no personally, do not make assumptions on our behalf.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Another made up non fact.

One day you'll grasp 55% said No because we didn't want independence.

I could easily throw some non sensical remark about Yes voters but it would be based on my personal opinion.

Mind does make me realise why Nicola Sturgeon wants to be a shepherdess !

Meeeehhh Meeehhh

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Another made up non fact.

One day you'll grasp 55% said No because we didn't want independence.

I could easily throw some non sensical remark about Yes voters but it would be based on my personal opinion.

Mind does make me realise why Nicola Sturgeon wants to be a shepherdess !

Meeeehhh Meeehhh
    It is a point of history that the No campaign was a negative one. I don't need to prove it as we all lived through it and the memory of it is still very fresh. You are insulting your own intelligence if you claim otherwise.

And the yes campaign was a clear failureThe only good that came out of it was the stepping down of the fat man.

It is a point of history that the No campaign was a negative one. I don't need to prove it as we all lived through it and the memory of it is still very fresh. You are insulting your own intelligence if you claim otherwise.
    I'm wondering how you ascertained your information did you use a crystal ball mebbe, pixie dust ?

As you voted Yes and where rather vociferous in your support of the yes campaign I'm sure the quiet logical thought process that went along with voting No is totally lost on you,maybe you should rejoin your flock and let the shepherdess do the thinking for you .

I was not scared of voting NO, am glad to be part of the 55%
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

72% of Manchester Evening News readers vote in a poll to join Scotland. They don't want Westminster tory rule either!http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....-votes-9254231
    Ahh yes 12000 people vote in an online poll from a city with a population of 2.7 Million.

That's really statisically significant.

And reading their comments in the Manchester Evening News the majority were obviously having a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bystander1 View Post
    And reading their comments in the Manchester Evening News the majority were obviously having a laugh.
    And reading all the "NO" voters remarks on here they are obviously trying hard to raise a chuckle never mind a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    And reading all the "NO" voters remarks on here they are obviously trying hard to raise a chuckle never mind a laugh.
    All I did was ask Rheghead, as to why I was "scared" into voting no, he could'nt answer me. Was I trying to raise a laugh, no.

We would be crazy to create a new state with the north of England. Their GDP per capita is much lower than ours which means we would be subsidising their benefits programme from day one. In particular we should avoid the north east. Better would be a confederacy with south east England. Their GDP per capita is similar to ours and our outlooks are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    We would be crazy to create a new state with the north of England. Their GDP per capita is much lower than ours which means we would be subsidising their benefits programme from day one. In particular we should avoid the north east. Better would be a confederacy with south east England. Their GDP per capita is similar to ours and our outlooks are similar.
    I can see the logic of inducting Caithness into the Home Counties. After all, it's where we live!

I visited Manchester recently to speak about Women's politics in Scotland pre and post referendum. I had a great time. I was there for a few days and I spoke to loads of people, not just "political"people either. What I found was that most people were aware of the political change in Scotland. They were watching to see what's happening here and they felt hopeful that Scotland would offer an example of how something different is possible. I was asked sooooo many questions.

I think this poll is a reflection of that. I don't for a minute think that the people in Manchester want to be part of Scotland but more that they want a part of what Scotland has seen happen, bigger turnouts for elections, a politically engaged and informed electorate, a real discussion of different options, alternative policies and a strong left of centre voice. That's a good thing.