Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 hr waits in A&E increase by 300% in last year under SNP run NHS Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    If you want to pay me the same amount as the first minister and give me the same powers I certainly couldn't do any worse.

One thing I did learn during my years of running Business's is never make a promise or commitment you can't fulfil. Shame our elected representatives don't use the same principle.
    That would be an amusing prospect. maybe you should run for election next time round id vote for you just so i can watch you flounder.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant209 View Post
    That would be an amusing prospect. maybe you should run for election next time round id vote for you just so i can watch you flounder.
    I have no desire to enter politics on a professional level, but during my business years I've never failed to achieve the results required or turn a company back into profit if it's been failing.

Shame most MPs have little or no real business experience.

So you have no desire to enter politics no knowledge of politics yet choose to belittle and berate every chance you get. As you've said earlier you not experienced how a tory government or a lib-dem government would do up here. So can can you know they will do any better? How do you know they wont do any worse? Oh and before you accuse me of being an independence fanatic im a unionist.

One thing I did learn during my years of running Business's is never make a promise or commitment you can't fulfil.
    You'd have to unlearn that to be a polititian, or you'd get no votes.

id vote for you just so i can watch you flounder.
    You already did that with the SNP.

So you have no desire to enter politics no knowledge of politics yet choose to belittle and berate every chance you get. As you've said earlier you not experienced how a tory government or a lib-dem government would do up here. So can can you know they will do any better? How do you know they wont do any worse? Oh and before you accuse me of being an independence fanatic im a unionist.
    Now just to try dig into your answer a bit.

Lack of desire to enter politics on a professional level doesn't equate to no knowledge of politics I'm not quite sure how you managed that quantum leap care to explain in words over one syllable ?

I've lived in Tory controlled areas so have experience of Tory run councils, so I've experience of them.

Now the big things is Scotland hasn't elected a Conservative Governement but seems to always complain about how hard done by they are by the Tories when reality is all their councils have been SNP, Labour or Libdem run for longer than I care to remember.
    As for Holyrood again never under Conservative government so Scotland can't really complain about the conservatives since the founding of Holyrood.

Caithness used to be a Conservative seat so we have first hand experience of tory rule as well. No more.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Caithness used to be a Conservative seat so we have first hand experience of tory rule as well. No more.
    You've got a good memory. How old were you in 1964, when "we"were having first hand experience?

And you reckon the MP "rules us!" Hee hee!

Were you even born then Rheg 😃
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Here's what Wiki has about Sir David Robertson's evil Tory reign over Caithness and Sutherland:

Robertson campaigned for economic development of the Scottish Highlands, arguing that Caithness made cement which came from the Medway in Kent.[10] In 1953 he attempted to amend the budget to exempt from income tax the profits of trades by local communities, motivated by the people of Thurso who had banded together to do work which was normally reserved to local government. He failed to persuade the Treasury.[11]

When the site of Dounreay was chosen for a nuclear power establishment, Robertson welcomed the choice and hoped it would lead to repopulation of the highlands.[12] He also attempted to stop the increase in charges for freight on rail, claiming that sheep could be brought from New Zealand cheaper than from his constituency...........

....... In 1957 he introduced a Private Member's Bill, the North of Scotland Development Corporation Bill, which was aimed at setting up a group to attract new industries to his constituency and around.

Yes I have had first hand experience of tory rule. It ended up with 3 million unemployed, then they changed the rules so that certain claimants were not unemployed but merely retraining then it rose again to 3 million unemployed. like any regime that is drunk on power, it fell away through allegations of sleaze.

So you're going all the way back to the early 1980s to show a point don't you think the world has changed a bit since then and moved on. Can you name one politician of any party that's still in Parliament from that era. Maybe you should move with the times a bit it does get a bit dull using history to grind your axe all the time.

I mean we could dwell on the problems created in the 1970s, the three day week, rubbish piled high in the streets, the dead remaining unburied, unions crashing whole sections of industry through intransigence but what would the point be the worlds moved on the set of circumstances that created such a sick country thankfully no longer exist.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/la...since-1881.pdf

Yes I have had first hand experience of tory rule. It ended up with 3 million unemployed, then they changed the rules so that certain claimants were not unemployed but merely retraining then it rose again to 3 million unemployed. like any regime that is drunk on power, it fell away through allegations of sleaze.
    You are master of the non sequitur.

So you're going all the way back to the early 1980s to show a point don't you think the world has changed a bit since then and moved on. Can you name one politician of any party that's still in Parliament from that era. Maybe you should move with the times a bit it does get a bit dull using history to grind your axe all the time.

I mean we could dwell on the problems created in the 1970s, the three day week, rubbish piled high in the streets, the dead remaining unburied, unions crashing whole sections of industry through intransigence but what would the point be the worlds moved on the set of circumstances that created such a sick country thankfully no longer exist.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/la...since-1881.pdf
    Tories don't need to be in parliament to have a huge influence on tory policy. In fact it is the norm for an out-of-government member who is familiar to speak to the press about policies and how they can be 'improved', a job that would damage an MP if they had done it themselves. You only have to look at Rifkind and Major for a recent example.

Tories don't need to be in parliament to have a huge influence on tory policy.
    Is that because Tories are actually Tories?

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Is that because Tories are actually Tories?
    You get what it says on the tin, unlike the mix and match SNP you put a bit left in a bit right in and do the Hokey Cokey and you turn about that's what it's all about .

Nationalism rears its ugly head, here and there, from time to time.

Sometimes it may be a good thing. Guys went off to repel and defeat the Nazis.

Other times, it may have been unfortunate, as in the American Confederacy.

In Ireland, they had genuine grievances. They got "freedom" and immediately had a civil war, followed by an eternity of poverty. Their oppression would have ended by now anyway.

Scotland has no worse problems than everyone else these days. The Nats just decide things are really bad and it's all the fault of the Auld Enemy.

There is growing up to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Nationalism rears its ugly head, here and there, from time to time.

Sometimes it may be a good thing. Guys went off to repel and defeat the Nazis.

Other times, it may have been unfortunate, as in the American Confederacy.

In Ireland, they had genuine grievances. They got "freedom" and immediately had a civil war, followed by an eternity of poverty. Their oppression would have ended by now anyway.

Scotland has no worse problems than everyone else these days. The Nats just decide things are really bad and it's all the fault of the Auld Enemy.

There is growing up to be done.
    The only bit of that that makes any sense is the Irish bit and that makes no sense either.
    It took 2 to tango in Ireland and it'll 2 to tango in Scotland too. Thankfully the nationalists and the Unionists in Ireland are talking to each other now. They ended up hating one another.
    Do you not think it's very insulting to compare, however loosely, Scottish Nationalism with Nazism? Its actually as close to Unionism but I would never hold that against a unionist.
    There's a particularly virulent strain of Scottish unionism on the internet and I know I would be best ignoring it but sometimes I just want to scream. Its obvious something's happening in Scottish politics and it may be that eventually it'll strengthen the unionist case but one things for sure all the talking down to needs to stop.

Seems to me the Nationalists are very thick skinned when dishing it out but incredibly thin skinned when it comes to recieving not such good news about their cause.
    Both sides have an unpleasant side but currently the Nationalist minority fraction seem to be doing the lions share of rabble rousing.
    Now why would any unionist stop talking down the nationalist cause we won a referendum by a significant majority but still the Nationalist are rattling on trying to get their own way.
    At the moment we have a party the SNP that has distinctly failed to provide a single coherent rational costed out reason for breaking up the union, but still insists on using grievance and spin to try and persuade a large section of somewhat gullible electorate to trust them because it will be alright on the night.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    Do you not think it's very insulting to compare, however loosely, Scottish Nationalism with Nazism?
    Yes. Did somebody do that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast