Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: 21st Century Porridge

Default 21st Century Porridge

Come into the 21st Century, this is the way to do it now, never heard about the Jaffa Cakes method before

Recipe for Microwave Porridge
    Serves 1
    Original, old fashioned or Wholemeal porridge oats
    Put a 1/4 pint water or semi skimmed milk in jug
    add enough oats to fill the water or milk
    cook on full power 2 1/2 - 3 minutes watch for the mixture to rise in the jug as it cooks ,add sugar, salt, milk to taste, it delicious with soya milk.
    Real Scotsmen don't add sugar to their porridge, but according to the "Sunday Post" they put jaffa cakes on the top and wait till they melt.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

i do mine the same way but in a bowl and only salt will do, cant imagine eating it with a jaffa cake on top, dont think i would fancy that at all

Quote Originally Posted by mrs n View Post
    i do mine the same way but in a bowl and only salt will do, cant imagine eating it with a jaffa cake on top, dont think i would fancy that at all
    I use a bowl as well mrs n - certainly no jaffa cake , but I do have it with sweetened soya milk or sometimes syrup mmmmmm....

i dont think i fancy anything sweet on my porridge angela, i was brought up to add salt, my grandfather used to have a seperate bowl for his milk i suppose it kept the porridge hot longer
    my other grandfather prefered brose, kale was his favourite but he would have neep brose too, he lamented the fact that he couldnt get good peasmeal to make pizzers though dont ask me how to make it

i dont think i fancy anything sweet on my porridge angela, i was brought up to add salt, my grandfather used to have a seperate bowl for his milk i suppose it kept the porridge hot longer
    my other grandfather prefered brose, kale was his favourite but he would have neep brose too, he lamented the fact that he couldnt get good peasmeal to make pizzers though dont ask me how to make it
    That's my way too - and the milk sometimes has cream added but it's got to be ice cold (gone are the days when we used to fight over the cream on the top of a bottle)
    Just the thought of anything sweet on it!

I know, sweet porridge is really bad of me! Does the fact I eat my porridge for supper make a difference do you think?
    I was brought up on brose (pease brose, I think) as a child, I loved it -it came wrapped up in a brown paper packet from a shop in Wick...but I must admit I don't really know what it was made of....or how it was made
    Yes, I'm hanging my head in shame here
    I'm sure some of you there can enlighten me, I'd like to try it again!
    Btw, why does porridge seem to be spelt "porage" nowadays, do you know?
    Last edited by Angela; 09-Apr-07 at 19:49. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    That's my way too - and the milk sometimes has cream added but it's got to be ice cold (gone are the days when we used to fight over the cream on the top of a bottle)
    Just the thought of anything sweet on it!

sorry Buttercup, don't think about it, you just go and lie down until your stomach settles

Smile

Nothing like regular oatmeal with milk and brown sugar...to get my sugar fix!

angela i know nothing about peasemeal either, we had a scoops shop in the next town that sold it and we got some from up north but it just wasnt what my grandfather had been used to, it looked an awful green colour though dont think i would have fancied it
    no idea why its spelt porage now, change for change sake i suppose

angela i know nothing about peasemeal either, we had a scoops shop in the next town that sold it and we got some from up north but it just wasnt what my grandfather had been used to, it looked an awful green colour though dont think i would have fancied it
    no idea why its spelt porage now, change for change sake i suppose
    Green sounds grim!
    What we had was a kind of peanut-butter colour. Still looked a bit yeuch I must admit, but smelled and tasted great...or I thought it did at the time!

An owld recipe for Oatmeal brose

A quantity of coarse oatmeal - with salt 'to taste' as they say - is placed in a bowl and boiling water poured over it.
    The water must be boiling hard as it pours and there should be enough of it to just cover the oatmeal. A plate is immediately placed over the bowl like a lid. You now sit by for a few minutes, gloating. This is your brose cooking in its own steam. During this pause, slip a nut of butter under the plate and into the brose. In four or five minutes whip off the lid, stir the mass violently together, splash in some milk and eat.
    Delicious
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

You can still get peasemeal from J.A. Mackay's, Grocer, Traill Street, Thurso!

thanks for the recipe golach for brose, so i assume you cook the kale but just add the boiling bree? never did see grandfather make it as he was always up so early as for the peasemeal, wherever we got it from it was never the same as he remembered it to be

Quote Originally Posted by Torvaig View Post
    You can still get peasemeal from J.A. Mackay's, Grocer, Traill Street, Thurso!
    Shouldn't think they'd want to send it down to me though!
    I must see if I can track down some locally......

Red face

Oops sorry Angela, I look on you as living here; probably just wishful thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Torvaig View Post
    Oops sorry Angela, I look on you as living here; probably just wishful thinking!
    Be careful what you wish for, Torvaig!

I wish I was living there too!