Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: 21st Century Porridge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 21st Century Porridge

Come into the 21st Century, this is the way to do it now, never heard about the Jaffa Cakes method before

Recipe for Microwave Porridge
    Serves 1
    Original, old fashioned or Wholemeal porridge oats
    Put a 1/4 pint water or semi skimmed milk in jug
    add enough oats to fill the water or milk
    cook on full power 2 1/2 - 3 minutes watch for the mixture to rise in the jug as it cooks ,add sugar, salt, milk to taste, it delicious with soya milk.
    Real Scotsmen don't add sugar to their porridge, but according to the "Sunday Post" they put jaffa cakes on the top and wait till they melt.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

i do mine the same way but in a bowl and only salt will do, cant imagine eating it with a jaffa cake on top, dont think i would fancy that at all

Quote Originally Posted by mrs n View Post
    i do mine the same way but in a bowl and only salt will do, cant imagine eating it with a jaffa cake on top, dont think i would fancy that at all
    I use a bowl as well mrs n - certainly no jaffa cake , but I do have it with sweetened soya milk or sometimes syrup mmmmmm....

i dont think i fancy anything sweet on my porridge angela, i was brought up to add salt, my grandfather used to have a seperate bowl for his milk i suppose it kept the porridge hot longer
    my other grandfather prefered brose, kale was his favourite but he would have neep brose too, he lamented the fact that he couldnt get good peasmeal to make pizzers though dont ask me how to make it

i dont think i fancy anything sweet on my porridge angela, i was brought up to add salt, my grandfather used to have a seperate bowl for his milk i suppose it kept the porridge hot longer
    my other grandfather prefered brose, kale was his favourite but he would have neep brose too, he lamented the fact that he couldnt get good peasmeal to make pizzers though dont ask me how to make it
    That's my way too - and the milk sometimes has cream added but it's got to be ice cold (gone are the days when we used to fight over the cream on the top of a bottle)
    Just the thought of anything sweet on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    That's my way too - and the milk sometimes has cream added but it's got to be ice cold (gone are the days when we used to fight over the cream on the top of a bottle)
    Just the thought of anything sweet on it!

sorry Buttercup, don't think about it, you just go and lie down until your stomach settles

I know, sweet porridge is really bad of me! Does the fact I eat my porridge for supper make a difference do you think?
    I was brought up on brose (pease brose, I think) as a child, I loved it -it came wrapped up in a brown paper packet from a shop in Wick...but I must admit I don't really know what it was made of....or how it was made
    Yes, I'm hanging my head in shame here
    I'm sure some of you there can enlighten me, I'd like to try it again!
    Btw, why does porridge seem to be spelt "porage" nowadays, do you know?
    Last edited by Angela; 09-Apr-07 at 19:49. Reason: clarification