Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 101 to 117 of 117

Thread: The good news if the SNP do get a landslide victory at the polls

  1. #101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Yes, Trident & its replacement would be a good place to start.
    If only, somehow, cannot see that being an option, same ol same, with Cameron Osbourne and Duncan Smith, the holy trinity....austerity = cuts to benefits keep on plowing on ...theyve a job to finish thats what they repeatedly said in the election run up, ok they didnt supply details on where benefit cuts were to be inflicted just have to wait and see.

  2. #102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Because he presented a left of centre "vision" and thats what 1983 was about, but real left of centre by a long way. Sure he didnt want to re instate clause 4 but this is c21 so even a slightly pink left of centre is off message and in most of England always will be. Mandleson hit the nail on the head “The reason we lost it in 2010 we discarded New Labour, rather than revitalising it and re-energising it and making it relevant for the new times and new policy challenges that we face,”
    Alan Sugar resigned from Labour today....denouncing the party’s perceived shift to the left in the runup to last week’s general election, as two potential leadership candidates criticised the party and its campaign’s lack of business appeal. " A labour party that appeals to business owners as well as employees.......

  3. #103
    BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    Well I'd say you can rule out Yvette Cooper being married to Ed Balls doesn't help for starters also she is viewed as part of that out of touch a bit too left for comfort clique.
    Then Andy Burnham is tucked into the unions pockets to sit comfortably.
    Much as they may consider themselves totally suitable their public appeal is far too tainted by their recent soirée with Ed Miliband.

    Reality is a hard thing for the Labour Party to live with but they need to find someone the public will relate to and start appealing to business and the public at large

  4. #104
    BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Yes, Trident & its replacement would be a good place to start.
    Trident may well be the weapon of last resort but the reality is its £3.5 billion a year over 30 yrs in the world of defence spending that isn't big money when you also consider the cuts that have been made to defence spending in recent years.

    Compare that to the SNPs oft mentioned desire to spend the modest sum of £180 billion over the course of the next five years it becomes a relatively modest sum.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    2,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    I can sit back and relax knowing the SNP have hit the ceiling and the only way for them to go after this election is down.
    Isn't it kind of sad that we live in a country where politics have come to life and we have Scottish people hoping the country fails just so they can be proved right?
    Is it dangerous or just plain stupid?

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    Isn't it kind of sad that we live in a country where politics have come to life and we have Scottish people hoping the country fails just so they can be proved right?
    Is it dangerous or just plain stupid?
    No, because that piece of opinionated rhetoric makes little sense.

    Staying in the UK is a success.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Trident may well be the weapon of last resort but the reality is its £3.5 billion a year over 30 yrs in the world of defence spending that isn't big money when you also consider the cuts that have been made to defence spending in recent years.

    Compare that to the SNPs oft mentioned desire to spend the modest sum of £180 billion over the course of the next five years it becomes a relatively modest sum.
    Deterrence has been a bargain, compared to conventional war with Russia.

  8. #108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    Isn't it kind of sad that we live in a country where politics have come to life and we have Scottish people hoping the country fails just so they can be proved right?
    Is it dangerous or just plain stupid?
    If a % of people can see through the SNP and recognise that even with 56 /59 MPS' they will have to deal with a majority government..and cannot make "demands", and a % of people recognise that our economy is just now not strong enough to handle FFA ( without realiging planned spending ) never mind independance, I would say said % are concerned over the future and not are hopeful that the country fails. There is more to Scotland than the SNP, people can hope the SNP MP's, fail / fall flat on their face exposing their lack of clout and over promises made at the election, which is a lot different than hoping the entire country falls flat. Look at it another way, there are ardent yessers who defy all economic logic...shout any sense down ....and they would rather live in a "free" what will almost certainly be an impoverished Scotland just so that they can be "right". Me...well there are 56 SNP MPS's so Im prepared to give it time to see what they can achieve or rather, and unfortunatly for alll of us, what the majority government lets them achieve. Its in everyones interests for them to achieve some kind of reforms favourable to Scotland but Sturgeons rhetoric isnt exactly helping the cause of the westminster MP's.

  9. #109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Well I'd say you can rule out Yvette Cooper being married to Ed Balls doesn't help for starters also she is viewed as part of that out of touch a bit too left for comfort clique.
    Then Andy Burnham is tucked into the unions pockets to sit comfortably.
    Much as they may consider themselves totally suitable their public appeal is far too tainted by their recent soirée with Ed Miliband.

    Reality is a hard thing for the Labour Party to live with but they need to find someone the public will relate to and start appealing to business and the public at large
    Yes cant diasgree with that, cant see Labour "re inventing" themselves by 2020, it will be 2025 before they are really ready ( unless we get a tory led catastrophe a black friday ) , their utter complacency in Scotland, coupled with, dare I say it a complete failure to connect, talking a political language rejected in Scotland by 50% of the vote has destroyed them and in Scotland it will take years if ever Labour can bounce back ( again assuming that the SNP dont have a "black friday incident ) a Blair comes along once in a lifetime, and say what you want, he won Labour 3 elections so must have done something right in the eyes of voters. He obviously appealed to business and the public at large.

  10. #110
    BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    I feel David Cameron has learnt quite well from all the chaos caused, he is trying to directly connect with ordinary people's aspirations effectively he is claiming the middle ground which is a safe place to be, very few of the public veer hard right or left.
    The interesting times will be when the new SNP MPs get to PMQs, Mr Cameron will no doubt use his skills to highlight the problems within Scotland and start laying the blame at their door as he used to when Labour attacked him on the NHS, he would use the NHS Wales problems to show how incompetent they are.
    We can expect every time an SNP MP mentions the NHS for all the Scottish NHS problems to be highlighted.
    The falling literacy rates if they mention education.
    There won't be many places for them to hide on fiscal policy as their sums just don't add up.
    We also have the mildly embarrassing situation where they are all talking off pre-prepared scripts not allowed to dissent from official party line or criticise any policy or member just wait for that little ruse to bite them or the accusation of Sturgeons Parrots to be thrown out.
    The rhetoric coming from them is currently the usual SNP grievance or hold their feet to the fire twaddle but now they aren't in Holyrood and far more publicly exposed than they where before.
    It won't be long before these inexperienced members stumble into the bear traps being set for them.

    Question is will Nicola be able to control them.

    Then there will also be the issue of as prosperity continues to increase and unemployment falls and the economy recovers how will the SNP be able to push back against an improving situation everywhere else except Scotland.
    The uncertainty they continue to create isn't doing the Scottish economy any good, people who have money and want to invest will continue to invest but those wealthy creators will be wary of placing their money in Scotland because they just don't know what's going to happen.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 12-May-15 at 10:22.

  11. #111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    I feel David Cameron has learnt quite well from all the chaos caused, he is trying to directly connect with ordinary people's aspirations effectively he is claiming the middle ground which is a safe place to be, very few of the public veer hard right or left.
    The interesting times will be when the new SNP MPs get to PMQs, Mr Cameron will no doubt use his skills to highlight the problems within Scotland and start laying the blame at their door as he used to when Labour attacked him on the NHS, he would use the NHS Wales problems to show how incompetent they are.
    We can expect every time an SNP MP mentions the NHS for all the Scottish NHS problems to be highlighted.
    The falling literacy rates if they mention education.
    There won't be many places for them to hide on fiscal policy as their sums just don't add up.
    We also have the mildly embarrassing situation where they are all talking off pre-prepared scripts not allowed to dissent from official party line or criticise any policy or member just wait for that little ruse to bite them or the accusation of Sturgeons Parrots to be thrown out.
    The rhetoric coming from them is currently the usual SNP grievance or hold their feet to the fire twaddle but now they aren't in Holyrood and far more publicly exposed than they where before.
    It won't be long before these inexperienced members stumble into the bear traps being set for them.

    Question is will Nicola be able to control them.

    Then there will also be the issue of as prosperity continues to increase and unemployment falls and the economy recovers how will the SNP be able to push back against an improving situation everywhere else except Scotland.
    The uncertainty they continue to create isn't doing the Scottish economy any good, people who have money and want to invest will continue to invest but those wealthy creators will be wary of placing their money in Scotland because they just don't know what's going to happen.
    How true is your assertion................We also have the mildly embarrassing situation where they are all talking off pre-prepared scripts not allowed to dissent from official party line or criticise any policy or member just wait for that little ruse to bite them or the accusation of Sturgeons Parrots to be thrown out...... Canna see Alexi being gagged and London MPS's being controlled by Holyrood surely....??

  12. #112
    BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    Nicola Sturgeon and her Stepford MPs , mildly disconcerting.

  13. #113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Nicola Sturgeon and her Stepford MPs , mildly disconcerting.
    You will need to do better than that, your reply is really lacking in any substance whatsoever, my belief as stated in another post is that the SNP are united in the desire for independance, as a party of largey unproven people and yes a few careerists ( ex labour ) they undoubtably will cross the political map blue via pink to red, they are not a united party in purely politcial terms, thats why they will need to be controllled, although Alexi....well who can control him. Now try again....

  14. #114

    Default

    Is it ok to throw this into the mix. In case you have not seen it, thought you might be interested?
    Labour Hame.com

  15. #115

    Default

    I should have said that the article I was referring to is by Yvonne Spence.

  16. #116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    I should have said that the article I was referring to is by Yvonne Spence.
    A very good read, common sense really...my take on the articale was .....to be be a poltician be visible and approachable 24 7 365, be seen to do your honest best for people, be open and approachable, show real action, determination and leadership....create, through their actions a community belief in themselves. Dont rely on the 5 weeks pre election on spin, media, dishing dirt, negativity etc to self promote, so yep inspiring read, which I would agree with, thanks very much !

  17. #117
    BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    You will need to do better than that, your reply is really lacking in any substance whatsoever, my belief as stated in another post is that the SNP are united in the desire for independance, as a party of largey unproven people and yes a few careerists ( ex labour ) they undoubtably will cross the political map blue via pink to red, they are not a united party in purely politcial terms, thats why they will need to be controllled, although Alexi....well who can control him. Now try again....
    My apologies Rob I should of made it clearer how I was referring to all the SNP MPs on election nights speeches being virtually identical, all handed down to them from SNP party central to make sure they where all bang on message and widely reported at the remarkable similarities by a large section of the media.

    If I where more gullible I could almost delude myself into believing that SNP MPs have some kind of superhuman synaptic snychronicity but alas that's a stretch to far for me.

    But there is no secret to the SNPs rules which do not allow any one of those MPs to speak out against party or criticise another member, something no other party feels is a necessity and has worrying overtones when one is to consider how these MPs are now supposed to represent all members of their community not just SNP supporters.
    What happens when issues are placed before them by members of the public which are at odds with SNP official line or draw into question the behaviour of SNP members.
    Then we have a direct conflict of interests and the unfortunate MPs duly elected to represent the people unable to act because their party will not allow them to.

    So much for a free and fairer society.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 12-May-15 at 17:04.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •