Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Assault after accused claims-"This is my town"

Default Assault after accused claims-"This is my town"

Drink and valium cocktail led to "disgraceful" town-centre episode sheriff court it hears today

A YOUNG man, responsible for what the sheriff described as "a disgraceful episode" in Thurso, has been jailed for a year.
    Brendon Stevens, 22, was under the influence of a drink and valium mix when he assaulted a soldier outside Mr C's bar in the town, on November 22, last year.
    The guardsman, Simon Dewit, was out for family reunion when his group met Stevens and his friends, Wick Sheriff Court heard, today. Initially, there was some light-hearted banter between the two groups but the mood changed and Stevens began to make offensive comments saying; "Thurso is my town...you should should not have invaded it. You don't belong here."
    When Mr Dweit asked for an explanation, Stevens punched him once causing him to fall backwards and strike hi head on railings before landing on the ground. The soldier was rendered unconscious, briefly, and was treated in hospital for cuts and bruises. Stevens, described as a prisoner at Inverness, appeared from custody and admitted, on indictment, charges of assault and racial harrassment, and a record.
    The court was told he hopes to settle at an address in Park Avenue, Thurso, with his partner and their 16-month-old son, on his release from prison.
    Solicitor George Mathers said that the accused wanted to break free from his abuse of alcohol which began at the age of 12. He took valium because "it numbs his mind" but "it seems to be the trigger for his aggression and anger."
    Sheriff Andrew Berry noting the accused's record told him: "Once again you have resorted to violence and I have to conclude that only a prison sentence is appropriate."

Last edited by Nwicker60; 30-Apr-15 at 15:17.