Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Kayaking around Caithness.

Default Kayaking around Caithness.

I'm thinking of taking up this activity. We have a great shoreline and is best seen from the sea. Thinking a kayak that can do surfing might be best. Is there any advice that could point me to a good kayak and other equipment? I believe there is a good place in Inverness to buy who are quite reasonable. Thanks in advance.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I'm thinking of taking up this activity. We have a great shoreline and is best seen from the sea. Thinking a kayak that can do surfing might be best. Is there any advice that could point me to a good kayak and other equipment? I believe there is a good place in Inverness to buy who are quite reasonable. Thanks in advance.
    Have you tried to contact Ralph I know he has one.

Hi Rheghead.
    You're absolutely right the Caithness coast has a totally different dimension when viewed from the sea, but the coast, and the currents round them, is particularly challenging. When you launch you may be faced with a long paddle with no easy 'get out' places. I don't know what canoeing experience you have but if you do buy a kayak please get good advice and training you don't won't to become another statistic in the tragedy figures.
    That said I hope you have a wonderful time exploring the coastline around Caithness, it is absolutely stunning.
    Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

Default Two clubs

Hi,
    There used to be two kayak clubs : Caithness kayak club based in Ackerigill and Pentland kayak club based in Thurso. Suggest you go on Scottish Canoe association web page to find out local contacts.

Sent a PM to you

Thanks, great advice and info. Please clear your inbox.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

lots of good fishing can be done by kayak up here