Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SNP Home And Hosed In Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross?

You may also of noticed that the SNP have been saying for a while now, how unfair that is. They will now be pushing for PR.

BTW how did you vote in the referendum for electoral reform a couple of years ago?

So did the Lib Dems and a fat lot of good that did, back in (2011, I think) I voted yes for the alternative vote and if I remember correctly, at that time less than half of the elected MPs had the support of the majority of their voters

I prefer the first past the post system. I think it keeps them on their toes but I'm not bothered really. I'm more bothered by the bitterness that's developed since the referendum campaign began.

Well done to those of you who have defended Scottish Nationalism so honourably. I'm beginning to get more concerned about some of the comments I've been hearing from unionists on the internet and in the media. Most of it is virulent and derogatory towards nationalism. On Questiontime the other night Paddy Ashdown spoke about the dangers of Nationalism. A few other well known commentatators have hinted at it and the internets full of it. Well here's a thought. Nationalism is no more dangerous than Unionism.
    The debates going round in circles now but it shouldnt go away. There's nothing wrong with debate but lack of respect for your political opponent is not good in a democracy.
    The issue of Scotland needs to be sorted out once and for all.I'ts obvious there's something big happening in Scottish politics and we should embrace it with hope. A government is supposed to rule by consent of the people. I know theres as many never voted for SNP as did but its obvious people are getting involved like they never did before.
    The next 5 years are going to be really interesting.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Nationalism has for many years had an unsavoury face, because people express concerns that it may lead to isn't unsavoury it's a reflection of some of the past events that nationalism has led to.

During the referendum debate anyone who was vocal from a unionist perspective would be leapt upon by a number of nationalist trolls using sometimes quite vile and abusive language.

The issue I believe was sorted out during the referendum which firmly planted the Unionist point of view as winning with 55% to 45%, during the general election Nicola Sturrgeons reason d'être was to lock the Tories out in both instance the SNP has failed miserably.

Scotland has voted to remain part of the Union and the United Kingdom has a Tory majority government.

SNP voters should would be well reminded that it was the first minister herself who said the General Election was not about Independence and learn to accept the will of the majority instead of behaving like the unelected europhiles and keep demanding referendums until they wear the electorate out.

If we are now to believe that this is triggering another attempt at a referendum it will do nothing but prove one point. The SNP are not to be trusted and their words mean nothing.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 10-May-15 at 18:05.

Honest words gleeber. I'm not a nationalist and I am independence-lite and there are lot who voted SNP who feel the same way. But Nicola Sturgeon is correct, things cannot go on as they are, we need to reform the UK as you cannot build a greater nation on anti-Scottish rhetoric.

Here is my take on what could save the Union.

1. Devomax for Scotland and for other regions in a federal set-up across the UK.
    2. Full and proper Proportional Representation for a voting system.
    3. A resounding Yes to staying in the EU.
    4. Fully modernised Westminster. I do not relate to it at all, it looks like a museum.

That should do it.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 10-May-15 at 18:21.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Honest words gleeber. I'm not a nationalist and I am independence-lite and there are lot who voted SNP who feel the same way. But Nicola Sturgeon is correct, things cannot go on as they are, we need to reform the UK as you cannot build a greater nation on anti-Scottish rhetoric. Here is my take on what could save the Union.1. Devomax for Scotland and for other regions in a federal set up across the UK.2. Full and proper Proportional Representation for a voting system.3. A resounding Yes to staying in the EU.4. Fully modernised Westminster. I do not relate to it at all, it looks like a museum.That should do it.
    Nothing like rejecting the democratic will of the people once again unless you've forgotten we all had a vote on changing the voting system.

There will be a vote on the EU that will fall as it will but will be a democratic choice by the electorate.

The Smith Commision recommendations will be implemented.

As for Westminster it's serves its purpose as a building why change it ,mind largess at taxpayers expense is always easy, at least it's not infested with mice like Holyrood.

Some of the SNP followers are starting to sound a bit animal farm " all animals are equal just some more equal than others "

Is there any particular reason you feel Scotland should get more money than the rest of the United Kingdom. Aren't the poor, disadvantaged ,sick and disabled just as deserving around the rest of the United Kingdom ?

Doesn't sound like you care much for people anywhere else except here now anywhere else that would be called Nimbyism or an I'm alright jack attitude.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 10-May-15 at 18:25.

That would be a start Rheghead but It still leaves the notion of Independence on the table, forever.
    I think English nationalism will raise its head soon. They wont distinguish between Scottish Unionists or Scottish Nationalist. David Cameron was right. We're all in it together.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Nothing like rejecting the democratic will of the people once again unless you've forgotten we all had a vote on changing the voting system.

There will be a vote on the EU that will fall as it will but will be a democratic choice by the electorate.

The Smith Commision recommendations will be implemented.

As for Westminster it's serves its purpose as a building why change it ,mind largess at taxpayers expense is always easy, at least it's not infested with mice like Holyrood.

Some of the SNP followers are starting to sound a bit animal farm " all animals are equal just some more equal than others "
    More anti-Scottish rhetoric. If you want to keep the UK together and stay off another referendum then you should opt for a system that doesn't disempower but empowers all corners of the UK not just the South-east. It sounds like you want business-as-usual, live with the consequences then...
    Last edited by Rheghead; 10-May-15 at 18:31.

More anti-Scottish rhetoric. If you want to keep the UK together and stay off another referendum then you should opt for a system that doesn't disempower but empowers all corners of the UK not just the South-east. It sounds like you want business-as-usual, live with the consequences then...
    I fail to see how any of what I posted is anti Scottish Rhetoric you ask for changes, but when faced with a reality one option has already been voted on by the population, one is to be voted on in a referendum and another has already been negotiated upon you call it anti Scottish.

The other is let's just build something because rheghead doesn't like it you call it Anti Scottish.

Seems you want to just implement massive change without any democratic process and enforce your will, that in no way sounds democratic and the vast majority of sane minded people would reject it utterly

Yes but you are forgetting one thing, 55% said no to independence more power to Scotland. The ball is in the courts of SNP hands now. SNP is really no difference to Labour, spend spend spend bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    Yes but you are forgetting one thing, 55% said no to independence more power to Scotland. The ball is in the courts of SNP hands now. SNP is really no difference to Labour, spend spend spend bust.
    Yes true Scout but you've never seen Jim Murphy, Ruth Davidson or any other leaders whizzing around Scotland in a very expensive personally liveried Helicopter like Nicola Sturgeon even the queen doesn't have her face painted on the side of Hher helicopter .

Chocks away air sturgeon has taken to the air,next stop on her phillybusting waste of taxpayers money Prestwick airport after all it's own money who cares.

Your being dogmatic Bettertogether and ignoring the fact that politics have suddenly changed in Scotland. Its the power of the people. A lot of people who voted no in the referendum voted SNP at the General elction. I voted yes in the referendum but voted for John Thurso in the general election. People are different and would probably vote no in a referendum held in the next 5 years or 10 or whatever but you cant bury your head in the sand. I accept the result of the referendum but I cannot ignore the fact that somethings changed in politics in Scotland and the Scottish people are trying to say something. Im aware the other half are saying something else but that's what has to be sorted. I'm aware too of the dangers but those dangers come from a position of ignorance. The biggest danger is our own reactions to certain events. I find a particularly virulent form of unionism on the internet. I'm sure theres plenty from the other side too but I dont go looking for it. When it comes to the org its in my face and I try to understand it.

Yes true Scout but you've never seen Jim Murphy, Ruth Davidson or any other leaders whizzing around Scotland in a very expensive personally liveried Helicopter like Nicola Sturgeon even the queen doesn't have her face painted on the side of Hher helicopter .

Chocks away air sturgeon has taken to the air,next stop on her phillybusting waste of taxpayers money Prestwick airport after all it's own money who cares.
    No Ruth Davidson whizzes around in a tank and a quadbike. Seriously though, Ruth Davidson has already spoken of the benefits of lowering taxes and using extra powers to Scotland to encourage business because of what Scotland and its people have to offer to its own economy. However, her party's electoral potential suffers from her party's associations with Westminster. Break that bond and Conservative values may well return to Scotland.

The Queen's got her face on the money.

Honest words gleeber. I'm not a nationalist and I am independence-lite and there are lot who voted SNP who feel the same way. But Nicola Sturgeon is correct, things cannot go on as they are, we need to reform the UK as you cannot build a greater nation on anti-Scottish rhetoric.

Here is my take on what could save the Union.

1. Devomax for Scotland and for other regions in a federal set-up across the UK.
    2. Full and proper Proportional Representation for a voting system.
    3. A resounding Yes to staying in the EU.
    4. Fully modernised Westminster. I do not relate to it at all, it looks like a museum.

That should do it.
    1 Devo max or FFA only when the Scottish economy can handle it or we are f k d
    2 A resounding yes from me
    3 Yes
    4 1-3 will modernise Westminster

However point 1 FFA....thats where Cameron holds all the cards, SNP have no say whatsoever and people have to understand that although its quiet clear many many dont, we are still part of UK and there is a Tory majority, an unpalatable but real fact, the issue is will Cameron construct a broad UK based devolved federal system which has to include NI, Wales, England and Scotland and keep his english tory heartland core support on side, they wont ever change first past the post..maybe its less hassle just to give 100% FFA to scots asap. If so then the macdisney economics behind the SNP will be exposed for all to see throug.....meet the new boss....same as the old boss...P Townsend

How about offering federality to the Falklands, Isle of Mann and Gibraltar? A strengthening of ties would not go amiss and would be warmly accepted.

How about offering federality to the Falklands, Isle of Mann and Gibraltar? A strengthening of ties would not go amiss and would be warmly accepted.
    Difference with Isle Of Mann, they welcome investment people who have made money and lower tax this will not be the case in Scotland.

Westminster is crumbling with an estimated repair bill of £3 billion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30137334
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

What a marvellous country that would be!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234