Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: SNP Home And Hosed In Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The SNP did not deliver a conservative win. Even if every single seat in Scotland had been labour the Tories would have formed the next government. Labour managed to lose the election all by itself.

What next is to become an effective third voice in parliament. With 56 MPs the SNP will ask more questions at PMQs, with 56 MPs the SNP will represent Scotland on Select Committees where Labour usually did that. With 56 MPs they will not so easily be dismissed or shouted down. They may even encourage Labour to make their voice of opposition louder and firmer too.

I'm bitterly disappointed to see a Tory government but that is what the rest of the UK voted for. It is another example of how votes in Scotland make no difference to General Election Results.

You know what though - a large number of MPs who are not full of the sense of entitlement that we have become used to seeing in Westminster is a good thing. I think we might see a few changes.

Labour lost this election because they failed to connect with the people in England, they lied to the people Of Scotland during the referendum and the people punished them for it. Cameron was tactically clever he failed to deliver all the near federalism promised by the vow, Labour and the Lib Dems were punished for their deceit.

I'm not very political but I notice that half of Scotland did not vote for the SNP but they still have 56 seats while the other half get no representation, not really fair or democratic, is it time to change the system to proportional representation instead of first past the post?

The tories will fight tooth and nail to keep first past the post. As you have just seen it only benefits them as it is a nightmare for labour to counteract the scottish seat loss through picking them up in England. You wont be seeing a change to voting at any point in the near future, at least not as long as there is a tory government in power.

You may also of noticed that the SNP have been saying for a while now, how unfair that is. They will now be pushing for PR.

BTW how did you vote in the referendum for electoral reform a couple of years ago?

So did the Lib Dems and a fat lot of good that did, back in (2011, I think) I voted yes for the alternative vote and if I remember correctly, at that time less than half of the elected MPs had the support of the majority of their voters

I prefer the first past the post system. I think it keeps them on their toes but I'm not bothered really. I'm more bothered by the bitterness that's developed since the referendum campaign began.

Well done to those of you who have defended Scottish Nationalism so honourably. I'm beginning to get more concerned about some of the comments I've been hearing from unionists on the internet and in the media. Most of it is virulent and derogatory towards nationalism. On Questiontime the other night Paddy Ashdown spoke about the dangers of Nationalism. A few other well known commentatators have hinted at it and the internets full of it. Well here's a thought. Nationalism is no more dangerous than Unionism.
    The debates going round in circles now but it shouldnt go away. There's nothing wrong with debate but lack of respect for your political opponent is not good in a democracy.
    The issue of Scotland needs to be sorted out once and for all.I'ts obvious there's something big happening in Scottish politics and we should embrace it with hope. A government is supposed to rule by consent of the people. I know theres as many never voted for SNP as did but its obvious people are getting involved like they never did before.
    The next 5 years are going to be really interesting.