Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SNP MP's

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Yeah whatever ! More tribalistic hair splitting crap : vote SNP as Sturgeons the only credible party leader in the UK....why...my point is still valid...she wont be a UK MP...and her party are utter stirring liars, hopefully her clone / drone / hero..Alexi wont be an MP either : why vote for them ?
    And come the Scottish Elections the Party Leaders based in London have no say at all in the basic principles of their parties sitting in Holyrood, and what they will do once they become MSPs? REALLY? If that is the case, why did Lamont leave her position at the "head" of Scottish Labour stating that the Scottish party was nothing more than a UK Branch Office with little/no autonomy.

Re Westminster, the MPs of all parties get their "guidance" from the party leader via the whip system.......why on earth else does anyone think they have a whip system.
    Nicola will have as much influence among SNP Westminster MPs as Alex Salmond did when he was Party Leader while sitting in the Scottish Parliament. The party leader is important as the public face of the party, as well...which is why the Tories, Labour and LibDems are struggling, because their leaders are not currently overly popular among the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    And come the Scottish Elections the Party Leaders based in London have no say at all in the basic principles of their parties sitting in Holyrood, and what they will do once they become MSPs? REALLY? If that is the case, why did Lamont leave her position at the "head" of Scottish Labour stating that the Scottish party was nothing more than a UK Branch Office with little/no autonomy.

Re Westminster, the MPs of all parties get their "guidance" from the party leader via the whip system.......why on earth else does anyone think they have a whip system.
    Nicola will have as much influence among SNP Westminster MPs as Alex Salmond did when he was Party Leader while sitting in the Scottish Parliament. The party leader is important as the public face of the party, as well...which is why the Tories, Labour and LibDems are struggling, because their leaders are not currently overly popular among the public.
    Dorothy...your not in Kansas anymore !

True....and I don't inhabit the planet on which you appear to live, either.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Maybe if she clinks her Pink Champagne Flutes together she will be !

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Maybe if she clinks her Pink Champagne Flutes together she will be !
    Yuk! the only thing worse than pink champagne (or fizzy alcoholic water of any kind) would be whisky or gin. Though if I was to be in taking the proverbial mood when journalists come to visit, likely I'd go the pink champagne/crystal glasses and wide grin route.........and maybe even throw in an expensive cigar, for taking outside to smoke, of course.

Well given your apparent disdain for drinking Mr Salmonds preferred fish and chip libation maybe you'd prefer to nip down to Holyrood and annoit Ms Sturgeons dainty wee pinkies with it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Well given your apparent disdain for drinking Mr Salmonds preferred fish and chip libation maybe you'd prefer to nip down to Holyrood and annoit Ms Sturgeons dainty wee pinkies with it instead.
    Translate, pretty please?

Rob asks "why vote for them"? The answer to this is the same as for every party standing in the General Election. In deciding the answer you might ponder a few questions but there is really truly only one sensible answer to Robs question. Why vote for them? Because the party they represent has policies and an ethos which broadly fits with my views. That's it. Don't expect to agree with EVERYTHING but find the best fit and put your cross in their box. Forget about tactical voting, although it matters who is in no 10, what matters most is whether you think the candidate you are voting for will represent your views, your constituency, the needs of your community and whether the party they represent has policies which you believe are the right ones. That's it. All this vote SNP get labour, vote SNP get Tories, vote tory get UKIP, vote labour get SNP and any other permutations are nonsense. Vote for who you want as your MP. That's it!

Translate, pretty please?
    Well there was a panda and a playmobil character you can work out the rest I'm sure!

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Rob asks "why vote for them"? The answer to this is the same as for every party standing in the General Election. In deciding the answer you might ponder a few questions but there is really truly only one sensible answer to Robs question. Why vote for them? Because the party they represent has policies and an ethos which broadly fits with my views. That's it. Don't expect to agree with EVERYTHING but find the best fit and put your cross in their box. Forget about tactical voting, although it matters who is in no 10, what matters most is whether you think the candidate you are voting for will represent your views, your constituency, the needs of your community and whether the party they represent has policies which you believe are the right ones. That's it. All this vote SNP get labour, vote SNP get Tories, vote tory get UKIP, vote labour get SNP and any other permutations are nonsense. Vote for who you want as your MP. That's it!
    I in hindsight 100% agree with you

True....and I don't inhabit the planet on which you appear to live, either.
    Unfortunately for both of us, we live on the same planet and I presume the same country.

Unfortunately for both of us, we live on the same planet and I presume the same country.
    Mork calling Orson !

In real life, feet on the ground terms, we do, but in our heads we do not appear to do so. Perception is all, and that, and life experience, form mindsets. Mine is well described in http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2015/04...a-pendulum-do/ That is the UK I see....and not one in which I have a voice, and it appears not one in which I am going to be allowed to have a voice, if the establishment has it's way. If you see it differently, I would be interested in how you perceive your UK, given the virulence you exhibit regarding those of us who do not see the UK and its future in the same way as you do.

A quote from the article............

It suits neither left-wing, pro-independence Scots nor right-wing, unionist Englanders to acknowledge that Thatcher (and Blair, Cameron and Milliband), to a much greater degree than Salmond or the SNP, are the architects of the disintegration of Britain and the almost inevitable separation of Scotland. In the place of dead Britannia, murdered on the neo-liberal altar, we were offered the notion of the UK as a Greater England. (Or not all offered. By simple definition, there is realistically no place for the Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish at this table. ) This was a worldview dominated by the Tory shires, it’s epicentre the affluent South East. Let’s be clear: Britain might have been dismembered, but the UK is not broken. This reactionary, imperialist residue of the British welfare state is functioning perfectly as a mechanism to transfer the resources of this country to a small transnational cabal of the super-rich.

While I'm not a great believer in polls or surveys, having been both polled and surveyed and seen how they can be manipulated, there has been a survey which appears to show that a relatively small proportion of NO voters actually voted No because of attachment to the UK state while by far most did so because they had economic or ‘practicality’ concerns.

If the UK, as epitomised by the Westminster sovereign buggin's turn dicatatorships, and the consequences of that unchallenged control by a self absorbed and self serving elite from all parts of the UK, continues unchanged, there will come a time, not too long from where we are now, when the risks of independence are outweighed by its benefits.

This General Election, for those who are wedded to the concept of the continuance of the UK as a union of countries, is the one opportunity to start the process of change which is needed to maintain the union. By voting SNP in May, not to "break up" the UK, but to break up the incestuous Westminster version of "democracy" which allows the few to benefit at the expense of the many, there is a chance that government may be obliged to become one nation Government for the people as a whole, as it became in the post-WWII years, rather than one for the wealthy and the corporations, as it has become in the last thirty or so.......and then, there may be no need for independence. However, the only way to make change within a Government which does not want change is to force it......and a large SNP vote in May may do that.....if independence follows from that eventually, it will be because of the failure of the Westminster system to embrace reality.

In real life, feet on the ground terms, we do, but in our heads we do not appear to do so. Perception is all, and that, and life experience, form mindsets. Mine is well described in http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2015/04...a-pendulum-do/ That is the UK I see....and not one in which I have a voice, and it appears not one in which I am going to be allowed to have a voice, if the establishment has it's way. If you see it differently, I would be interested in how you perceive your UK, given the virulence you exhibit regarding those of us who do not see the UK and its future in the same way as you do.

A quote from the article............

It suits neither left-wing, pro-independence Scots nor right-wing, unionist Englanders to acknowledge that Thatcher (and Blair, Cameron and Milliband), to a much greater degree than Salmond or the SNP, are the architects of the disintegration of Britain and the almost inevitable separation of Scotland. In the place of dead Britannia, murdered on the neo-liberal altar, we were offered the notion of the UK as a Greater England. (Or not all offered. By simple definition, there is realistically no place for the Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish at this table. ) This was a worldview dominated by the Tory shires, it’s epicentre the affluent South East. Let’s be clear: Britain might have been dismembered, but the UK is not broken. This reactionary, imperialist residue of the British welfare state is functioning perfectly as a mechanism to transfer the resources of this country to a small transnational cabal of the super-rich.

While I'm not a great believer in polls or surveys, having been both polled and surveyed and seen how they can be manipulated, there has been a survey which appears to show that a relatively small proportion of NO voters actually voted No because of attachment to the UK state while by far most did so because they had economic or ‘practicality’ concerns.

If the UK, as epitomised by the Westminster sovereign buggin's turn dicatatorships, and the consequences of that unchallenged control by a self absorbed and self serving elite from all parts of the UK, continues unchanged, there will come a time, not too long from where we are now, when the risks of independence are outweighed by its benefits.

This General Election, for those who are wedded to the concept of the continuance of the UK as a union of countries, is the one opportunity to start the process of change which is needed to maintain the union. By voting SNP in May, not to "break up" the UK, but to break up the incestuous Westminster version of "democracy" which allows the few to benefit at the expense of the many, there is a chance that government may be obliged to become one nation Government for the people as a whole, as it became in the post-WWII years, rather than one for the wealthy and the corporations, as it has become in the last thirty or so.......and then, there may be no need for independence. However, the only way to make change within a Government which does not want change is to force it......and a large SNP vote in May may do that.....if independence follows from that eventually, it will be because of the failure of the Westminster system to embrace reality.
    Cant argue with your qoute...It suits neither left-wing, pro-independence Scots nor right-wing, unionist Englanders to acknowledge that Thatcher (and Blair, Cameron and Milliband), to a much greater degree than Salmond or the SNP, are the architects of the disintegration of Britain and the almost inevitable separation of Scotland. In the place of dead Britannia, murdered on the neo-liberal altar, we were offered the notion of the UK as a Greater England. (Or not all offered. By simple definition, there is realistically no place for the Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish at this table. ) This was a worldview dominated by the Tory shires, it’s epicentre the affluent South East. Let’s be clear: Britain might have been dismembered, but the UK is not broken. This reactionary, imperialist residue of the British welfare state is functioning perfectly as a mechanism to transfer the resources of this country to a small transnational cabal of the super-rich.

But I woud argue that large swathes of England have also suffered under neo liberalism : there is a north / south divide and power and money is in the south. I dont think it just, to simply walk away from the Welsh, Northern Irish and most of England. Leave the poor / distressed / old and ill to the mercies of neo liberal cons, nope.

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2015/04...a-pendulum-do/

Have taken time to read the above, its an absolutely brilliant piece of insightful writing, thank you...my road to damascus moment. You'll here no more from me, it will take whats left of my life and well into my childrens for true "fair" change to occur as the power base / money / neo con agenda cannot be quickly changed.

Yes, Irvine Welsh is a very smart and insightful writer, and we can only hope that the other countries of the UK will take the opportunity to detach themselves from the Westminster leech, draining all their resources from them to maintain the bankers and their off-shore bank balances.

Fortunately, we in Scotland have an alternative to voting same old-same old. We are more politically aware and active than other parts of the UK,and have developed more political alternatives to Tory/Labour/Lib Dem stagnation. Let's get out there and get rid of the shackles on May 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by Humerous Vegetable View Post
    Yes, Irvine Welsh is a very smart and insightful writer, and we can only hope that the other countries of the UK will take the opportunity to detach themselves from the Westminster leech, draining all their resources from them to maintain the bankers and their off-shore bank balances.

Fortunately, we in Scotland have an alternative to voting same old-same old. We are more politically aware and active than other parts of the UK,and have developed more political alternatives to Tory/Labour/Lib Dem stagnation. Let's get out there and get rid of the shackles on May 7th.
    Hell I never even noticed who wrote the piece....Irvine Welsh / Trainspotting etc....didnt know he had a political / economic / philosophical well informed eye. Truly a great thought inspiring, inspirational read. Certainly put a lot of things into an understandable context for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Any SNP MP's who are elected to Westminster are not going down there to settle in, they're going down to settle up.

Only thing they did was get told off by Bercow for clapping (!) during PMQ's
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Equality campaigners question SNP candidate's suitability over anti-gay marriage blog see http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/po...idates-6923014

Nice to know SNP promote and encourage SCotland as having a diverse pluralistic society !

This is awful:

Meanwhile, the shadow foreign secretary's niece Emily Benn demanded a retraction from SNP MP George Kerevan over a "deeply offensive" tweet claiming her grandfather, left-wing stalwart Tony Benn, "must be turning in his grave" over his son's pro-war stance. (By Andrew Woodcock, Press Association Political Editor)
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast