Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: rolled grass

Default rolled grass

does anyone know when or where I will be able to get some cheap rolled turf cheers Martyn
    Last edited by klarke_79; 31-Mar-15 at 20:26.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

I think you'll be struggling, Martyn. To the best of my knowledge, there are no turf growers in the county. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to be corrected. Housing developers who have over-ordered? Who's building houses locally - check out builders. To be honest, there's no such thing as cheap turf. If I think of something, I'll pm you
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

We removed some turfs to make a flower bed last year.

Still showing signs of green in a stack at the bottom of the garden.

You are welcome to have them if they are any use to you.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Just thinking . . . hand dug turf is useful. But not ideal. I have used a turf cutter in the past, down the road, to clear areas of unwanted grass. Just about the size of a garden mower, and the removed turf is uniform and even, and ready to re-lay. But I don't know anyone in the county with a (small, garden-size) turf cutter. Very useful piece of kit, for recycling turf, and been thinking about it. Can't afford to buy one outright myself, and don't know if it would pay for itself. But I'm sure there is potential. Your thoughts?

thanks guys for all your advice, have tried to recycle turf before but it does not lay good, think I will go back to the old fashioned way and just lay seed, have a large area to cover as digging over the current grass because it is full of weeds and moss also does not drain very well. Martyn
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Have a rotovator and scarifier for sale or rent if that helps you make a hard job easier Martyn?
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

I prefer seeding to turfing, for this simple reason. People think they can lay turf anywhere, and it will work, without preparation. It doesn't work like that. Turf needs the same deep cultivation and preparation as seed does. Think about it. Whether turf or seed, the roots need somewhere to go. Tatties are only in the ground for one year. Grass is there for decades. So however much digging and preparation you do for tatties, do it at least twice as thoroughly for grass. There are no short-cuts. It's hard work, but the rewards are in proportion to the effort.