Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Route 500

Default Route 500

I have been pondering this since it was first mooted some while ago.

An excellent idea to promote the far north with it's stunning coast line and dramatic wild interiors but why 500?

The number of wind turbines along the route?
    The number of potholes in the roads?
    The number of months that it has taken to finally get the idea up and running?
    The number of vehicles driving above the permitted speed?
    The number of fly tips?
    The number of road kill pheasants?
    The number of sheep between Bettyhill and Melvich that are grazing the road side?

Your alternative suggestions or any concrete answers you may have would be of great interest.
    (Grabs tin hat, bullet proof jacket and dives behind a large stone dyke!)

Seemingly the route covers over 500 miles approximately, and it plays on the Proclaimers chorus "And I would walk 500 miles". No matter what , it helps promote the forgotten far North Highlands, and that can't be a bad thing.

Its the unbelievable level of pessimism, and contempt, for the far North that folk like yourself peddle that holds it back.

Have you ever travelled any of the other great remote driving routes of the world? I can assure you they are far from perfect, but a spectacle non the less.

hamnat is correct, it is the 500 miles element. However maybe it could be the 500 glorious beaches, the 500 wild deer you may encounter, the 500 world class fishing spots, the 500 mountains and valleys, the 500 independently run tea shops, restaurants, hotels & businesses......and so on.

Or is could be the 500 grumpy people that want to sit in their living room moaning about anything they can on the internet.

Some friends of mine did it last week and reported it to be a great experience, I am looking forward to better weather to have a shot at it on the bike. ( I must add my bike has an engine)
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

We took the minibus around the West Coast Part on 18/19 March. We had glorious weather to match the glorious scenery....
    Route 66 had better look out, you have a challenger........

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    Its the unbelievable level of pessimism, and contempt, for the far North that folk like yourself peddle that holds it back.

Have you ever travelled any of the other great remote driving routes of the world? I can assure you they are far from perfect, but a spectacle non the less.

hamnat is correct, it is the 500 miles element. However maybe it could be the 500 glorious beaches, the 500 wild deer you may encounter, the 500 world class fishing spots, the 500 mountains and valleys, the 500 independently run tea shops, restaurants, hotels & businesses......and so on.

Or is could be the 500 grumpy people that want to sit in their living room moaning about anything they can on the internet.
    Well said big mac! It can only be a good thing for the north of Scotland. Once the weather gets a bit better I will definately be doing the north coast 500 on the bike and keeping an eye out for some new fishing marks!

Hold on, I did say that is was a great idea and I live on the route.

Seems like some of you have lost your sense of humour.

Lizz, I think someone might owe you an apology here?

Love and smiles Janey

There is another way of seeing what we have in the area which is a walk along as much of the coastline as possible! See www.northhighland-way.com, there is a Challenge on at the moment for people to walk it.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

This probably isn't the best place to try advertise that particular commercial venture

I can't recall ever having seen a signpost for it anywhere
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 07-Apr-15 at 20:00.

I am not advertising the venture, only making It known that there are other ways to see our beautiful Highlands.

Huffs and puffs, It's quite a climb up Sandside Head and as for making it all the way to Melvich, I'd have t be 40 yrs younger !

Quote Originally Posted by climber View Post
    There is another way of seeing what we have in the area which is a walk along as much of the coastline as possible! See www.northhighland-way.com, there is a Challenge on at the moment for people to walk it.
    The North highland way does not exist. It is a fantasy in the mind of a mad woman from Dunnet.

Everything will be fine until someone decides to make it into a speed record, a good idea but will it get off the ground if no one funds it ??

MickT

>> >> http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/austineers
    All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.