Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chance to meet Dr Paul Monaghan, SNP candidate for Caithness, Sutherland and E Ross

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Default Chance to meet Dr Paul Monaghan, SNP candidate for Caithness, Sutherland and E Ross

Hello folks - just thought we'd let you know that there will be a chance to meet the SNP candidate for Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross - Dr Paul Monaghan, in the Nethercliffe Hotel this Tuesday 31st March at 7pm for those of you who can come along. Please spread the word and ask friends and family to come along.

WBG

Watch out for a certain type of reply to this post - along the lines of " I'm not going because" -but with a large dose of insults etc...

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Would be nice if we could have all the candidates together in an open forum for some question and answer. Also it's about time all politicians where held accountable to the proposals they put forward.

The one thing I am tired off from all parties is promises made during the run up to elections then broken once they've one.

Might be good if they appeared in here but i very much doubt they would. Even if the threads where heavily moderated to rein in any intemperate remarks

Do all of them live in constituency to enable them attend such meetings, also how many of them would want to?

Well, this is an opportunity to meet one of them. As for a debate or a public meeting - if I hear of one I'll let you know. Come along on Tuesday evening in any case to speak with Paul. There will be several follow up public meetings. Also - if you're not receiving information through your letter box about him, please let us know on here.

WBG

I was a No voter through and through when I came to this forum. The Union of the UK was a sacred bull that couldn't be killed in my opinion. I refused to vote for any SNP councillor or anything remotely connected to the SNP. But the referendum changed all that. I listened. I battled with what I thought was right for Scotland. And my failing was that I have been conditioned to think that Scottish independence or devomax was bad for the UK. In truth, I think our lives will be enriched if we had a greater say on our future. And that will only come if there is maximum SNP MPs in Westminster who are fighting for our corner of Britain
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I wish I could agree with you Rheghead but all I feel is sadness at the bitterness and division left after The Referendum.
    I am concerned that the country I love and have adopted allows it's politicians to make such a mess of things and then blames Westminster for all their ills.
    I am concerned at the lack of experience shown by those in public office here and their total rejection of responsibility.
    I am concerned that there could be a huge backlash from England in the event of a hung parliament.
    I accept that what The Conservatives have done has alienated much of the populace but at least they have been prepared to try and put the United Kingdom's finances back in order although there is still a very long way to go.
    I am saddened by the fact that so many folk will blindly accept the lies and half truths that are bandied about by all parties.
    I would like to see change and a fairer society but this will not, cannot be achieved without the monies in the coffers.
    We all need to have a dream of whatever leaning but we all need to face up to reality as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    In truth, I think our lives will be enriched if we had a greater say on our future. And that will only come if there is maximum SNP MPs in Westminster who are fighting for our corner of Britain
    A brave statement and one that should be applauded. Scotland needs voters to seriously think about their choices on the 7th May. Take a lesson from Rheghead and don't just vote the way you have always voted out of habit.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I wish I could agree with you Rheghead but all I feel is sadness at the bitterness and division left after The Referendum.
    I am concerned that the country I love and have adopted allows it's politicians to make such a mess of things and then blames Westminster for all their ills.
    I am concerned at the lack of experience shown by those in public office here and their total rejection of responsibility.
    I am concerned that there could be a huge backlash from England in the event of a hung parliament.
    I accept that what The Conservatives have done has alienated much of the populace but at least they have been prepared to try and put the United Kingdom's finances back in order although there is still a very long way to go.
    I am saddened by the fact that so many folk will blindly accept the lies and half truths that are bandied about by all parties.
    I would like to see change and a fairer society but this will not, cannot be achieved without the monies in the coffers.
    We all need to have a dream of whatever leaning but we all need to face up to reality as well.
    What businesses always scream out for is stability and continuity. I agree fully, businesses should have stability and continuity. But the current business model that they mostly follow is short term profit and boom and bust at the cost of living wages and the environment which we all depend upon.. They ignore the issues that hinder their future sustainability. The right wing political parties (red, blue , yellow and purple) are locked in into feeding that current business model for short term political gain. For me, the referendum was a way out of that viscious circle of political, economic and environmental corruption so that we could have a chance to build a better country, one that was socially responsible, environmentally benign and outward looking.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 31-Mar-15 at 12:26.

What businesses always scream out for is stability and continuity. I agree fully, businesses should have stability and continuity. But the current business model that they mostly follow is short term profit and boom and bust at the cost of living wages and the environment which we all depend upon.. They ignore the issues that hinder their future sustainability. The right wing political parties (red, blue , yellow and purple) are locked in into feeding that current business model for short term political gain. For me, the referendum was a way out of that viscious circle of political, economic and environmental corruption so that we could have a chance to build a better country, one that was socially responsible, environmentally benign and outward looking.
    So why has this not happened yet under SNP? they have been in power for 7 years are you saying SNP are white as white. Again why would one not want to be ruled by Westminster but happy to be ruled by Brussels

Normally I'd be quite interested to hear what a Westminster candidate from here has to say. But not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogbrush View Post
    Normally I'd be quite interested to hear what a Westminster candidate from here has to say. But not this one.
    Thanks for sharing...

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I am concerned that there could be a huge backlash from England in the event of a hung parliament.....you can say that again / a hung parliament with SNP playing, as Salmon splattered over the sunday papers, kingmakers, may well make some parts of england seriously unsafe for scots.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    I am concerned that there could be a huge backlash from England in the event of a hung parliament.....you can say that again / a hung parliament with SNP playing, as Salmon splattered over the sunday papers, kingmakers, may well make some parts of england seriously unsafe for scots.
    Not sure about "unsafe" but the snp will probably get their wish, but coming from the English being looking to rule themselves only, and they perhaps want away from the union and let the other 3 fare for themselves.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Yeah and we really want to be part of that UK.

Yeah and we really want to be part of that UK.
    Yes but have you seen in England people burning the Scottish flags? I have seen groups who have burned the UK flag in Scotland, So well done SNP once again for the big split in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    Yes but have you seen in England people burning the Scottish flags? I have seen groups who have burned the UK flag in Scotland, So well done SNP once again for the big split in the UK
    Yeah, and I really want to be part of that UK as well.

Yeah, and I really want to be part of that UK as well.
    There's only one UK.

You're just lucky.

Default What have the Romans ever done for us ?

I kent his faither

Default Thank you

A big thank you to everyone who turned up - every seat taken. Lots of questions asked and answered.

WBG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast