Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't want to start a war, but -- really ?

Default I don't want to start a war, but -- really ?

I have just read that a New Archive Centre for nuclear records is planned for . . . Wick.

Is it just me who thinks Thurso deserves a little more consideration as the most logical location for such records ?

Aye,
    Probably just you, move along now.

They should certainly heed the opinions from Nova Scotia, in making any such decision.

They were going to put it in Thurso but as Wick is before Thurso in the alphabet Wick won out....I ill b appl ying fer a jobe int decords detp as spoon as tit oopens.

I expected some fallout over this decision.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

I didn't realise that Thurso was slated for de-commissioning.
    Last edited by David Banks; 20-Mar-15 at 08:04.

Thumbs up

Land available, close to the airport. A no brainer.

Default Clumsy way to ask for more information

I was trying to elicit details of discussions of this proposed expenditure.
    If my approach sounded like trolling, I apologise. New construction and new employment is great for Caithness.

1. If the nuclear records in question concern several sites around the country, then all I would have to say would be congratulations to the people who campaigned to have them centralised in Wick.

2. If the nuclear records are mainly or exclusively concerned with activities at Dounreay, then I would hope there has been a reasonable local discussion about where these should be kept. I would have thought that Wick, Thurso and maybe even Reay or Dounreay would have received consideration.

Would anyone care to enlighten those of us who are not able to keep up with local news?
    Last edited by David Banks; 21-Mar-15 at 17:11. Reason: construction was what I meant to say

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Considering the realities of the situation, I can't see it makes an awful lot of difference if records are kept in Wick or Thurso. What may be a consideration is not wanting to keep records close by the a nuclear site but a safe distance from the establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post

Would anyone care to enlighten those of us who are not able to keep up with local news?
    The building is going to be the 'National Nuclear Archive'

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Well I'd expect all members of the SNP and Greens to resist this with every ounce of strength they have or else it makes a mockery of their anti nuclear stance.

Surely being politically motivated to get rid of nuclear and having anything to do with the Nuclear Industry is rank hypocrisy of the highest order.

Does make me wonder how many vociferous SNP/ Green supporters work within the nuclear industry within the area.

That is a statistic I'd love to see.

Seeing as it is a national facility, it could've been built anywhere. It's in Caithness and that is all that matters. It would take longer to cross a city further south than it would to drive from Thurso to Wick.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Well I'd expect all members of the SNP and Greens to resist this with every ounce of strength they have or else it makes a mockery of their anti nuclear stance.

Surely being politically motivated to get rid of nuclear and having anything to do with the Nuclear Industry is rank hypocrisy of the highest order.

Does make me wonder how many vociferous SNP/ Green supporters work within the nuclear industry within the area.

That is a statistic I'd love to see.
    How can someone be anti nuclear records?

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    How can someone be anti nuclear records?

I was surprised when I first heard they were building it in Wick. After all Thurso was known as the atomic town. I'm sure the usual consultancies were followed before it was decided to build it in Wick. Dounreay had a massive effect on Wick too although it pales into significance with the effect it had on Thurso. Wick has a lot happening just now. Good luck to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post

I was surprised when I first heard they were building it in Wick. After all Thurso was known as the atomic town. I'm sure the usual consultancies were followed before it was decided to build it in Wick. Dounreay had a massive effect on Wick too although it pales into significance with the effect it had on Thurso. Wick has a lot happening just now. Good luck to it.
    You're right. Putting it in Dounreay's company town would make sense.

To be honest the UKAEA owes Thurso something. They even pulled down Viewfirth. They had big plans for it's replacement but that's gone quiet since a while. I think they probably contribute to the running costs of Caithness Horizons. There's time yet.

We are run by Wick the court the papers the council the hospital the police. Thurso is going to be a ghost town.

Quote Originally Posted by cullpacket View Post
    Thurso is going to be a ghost town.
    The speed they're getting the jam factory cleared up, don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    To be honest the UKAEA owes Thurso something. They even pulled down Viewfirth. They had big plans for it's replacement but that's gone quiet since a while. I think they probably contribute to the running costs of Caithness Horizons. There's time yet.
    The old Ukelele is a memory.

Look on the bright side: DSRL and the contracting firms are contributing to a large number of wage packets.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    The old Ukelele is a memory.

Look on the bright side: DSRL and the contracting firms are contributing to a large number of wage packets.
    For sure but its not going to last much more than 30 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast