Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Another place name question: Breakrow? Breckron?

Default Another place name question: Breakrow? Breckron?

I am having trouble locating this place (or one-time place). Is anyone familiar with this place name?
    Baptisms-MacKay (transcriptions from freeREG):
    Angus: 13 Apr 1788, Breakrow, to Joseph Mackay & Elizabeth Mackay
    Dond: 03 Mar 1790, Breakron, to Joseph Mackay & Eliza Mackay
    Elspet: 30 Jun 1793, Breakmore, to Joseph Mackay & Eliz Mackay
    Barbara: 01 Oct 1801, Breakrin, to Joseph Mackay & Elizabeth Mackay

Marriage 1 May 1787 (OPR Reay, Caithness)
    "Joseph Mackay in Breckron to Elisabeth Mackay in Forsnain"

Well, Forsnain is definitely Forsinard, over the border in Sutherland, so I guess Breakrow? is in Mackay country.
    spittalhill

Forsnain is actually a little north of Forsinard.
    Amongst all the various spellings I notice one is Breakmore, could it possibly be Braemore??

Related to Ackron, Strath Halladale?

Thanks for the tips!
    I finally found this description of the location (slightly different spelling)....from "The Sinclairs of Roslin, Caithness, and Goshen" (Rev. A Maclean Sinclair):
    "John, second son of John Sinclair in Golval, entered into a contract of marriage with "Janet Sinclair in Shurery" on May 22nd, 1787. He is described as "John Sinclair in Bighouse." He lived at Breckrow, am Breacradh, which is about half-way between Trantlebeg burn and Forsinain burn. He was removed from Breckrow in 1807, by Mrs. Colin Mackay of Bighouse, to make room for sheep, dogs and shepherds. On being expelled from Strathhalladale he went to Strathy.