Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Proposed Fracking in Caithness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Proposed Fracking in Caithness

I read that the UK government has issued Petroleum Exploration and Development Licence No. 158 to allow the use of “unconventional extraction techniques,” i.e. Fracking, across 160 Sq. Km. of the Caithness and Sutherland coast. Map here.
    Does anyone know anything more about this?
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

The licence is owned by the same company that currently operates the lybster offshore field from the onshore wellhead just off the A9.

Although the licence may allow fracking, it is not necessarily the case that it will be done.

Even an anti-fracking campaign group acknowledge the Caithness PEDL is unlikely to be fracked.

https://frackfreescotland.wordpress....ing/licensing/
    Last edited by theone; 18-Feb-15 at 11:45.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

http://paulmonaghan.scot/hydraulic-fracturing/
    Saw this on fb, link to a map.
    Looks like the strip of coast beside the Beatrice field from Bruan to just past Helmsdale.
    Link to map
    https://decc-edu.maps.arcgis.com/app...545d222e57ddaa

And let everyone be clear that our current MP Mr Thurso voted AGAINST a moratorium on these licences in Westminster, and although the Scottish Government has voted for a moratorium, because the granting of them has not been devolved yet, it may very well be too late to stop them. I may be accused of being a NIMBY as part of my croft is included in this licence but I believe we should not be even considering fracking as these fossil fuels need to stay in the ground unused for the health of our whole planet. The fact that is unlikely that we will see fracking in Caithness until the price of oil rockets up again, making it profitable, doesn't alter the matter.We shouldn't be considering this and our elected representatives shouldn't be voting away our rights to what happens under our land.If none of that sways you, just consider - one of the best documented effects that fracking can have is in polluting water systems - what could that do the whisky industry in Scotland ?

Quote Originally Posted by Treud na Mara View Post
    And let everyone be clear that our current MP Mr Thurso voted AGAINST a moratorium on these licences in Westminster, and although the Scottish Government has voted for a moratorium, because the granting of them has not been devolved yet, it may very well be too late to stop them. I may be accused of being a NIMBY as part of my croft is included in this licence but I believe we should not be even considering fracking as these fossil fuels need to stay in the ground unused for the health of our whole planet. The fact that is unlikely that we will see fracking in Caithness until the price of oil rockets up again, making it profitable, doesn't alter the matter.We shouldn't be considering this and our elected representatives shouldn't be voting away our rights to what happens under our land.If none of that sways you, just consider - one of the best documented effects that fracking can have is in polluting water systems - what could that do the whisky industry in Scotland ?
    It seems your views are similar to many people who live in the central belt where the geology is such that the money men want to access shale gas and coal gas under the most populous area of Scotland.
    I admit to having become very cynical over the years because politicians and corporate business opportunists have proven to be masters of deceit.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Ok, rumbled, originally from Edinburgh. But now proud to live in Caithness and call it home. I hope too there are folk hereabouts who understand the foolishness of the extraction and burning of every last drop of fossil fuel. It may be great for local economies in the short run but our species will live to regret it as our planet becomes less and less liveable. You say that a society grows great when old men and women plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in, well we have planted 1600 native trees in the last year and plan to plant another nearly 3000 this year, and we may not be old yet but they won't be providing much shade for a long long time and perhaps not in our lifetimes. But can I just repeat another saying - that only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will we find that money cannot be eaten.

Yes yes yes and all that. But you'll find that until an exploration licence is granted, and hence can be challenged and the foray quashed (if you wish), adages serve little purpose other than gilding hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by Treud na Mara View Post
    Ok, rumbled, originally from Edinburgh. But now proud to live in Caithness and call it home. I hope too there are folk hereabouts who understand the foolishness of the extraction and burning of every last drop of fossil fuel. It may be great for local economies in the short run but our species will live to regret it as our planet becomes less and less liveable. You say that a society grows great when old men and women plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in, well we have planted 1600 native trees in the last year and plan to plant another nearly 3000 this year, and we may not be old yet but they won't be providing much shade for a long long time and perhaps not in our lifetimes. But can I just repeat another saying - that only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will we find that money cannot be eaten.
    Is there much demand for shade in Clyth?