Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: fracking

Default fracking

whats everyones views about this ??

Well it's complicated. It seems a good idea to get more oil or gas out of existing wells instead of having to drill in ever more inaccessible (and sometimes quite beautiful*) places. On the other hand some of the chemicals they are using to do it don't seem to be good for the environment, particularly in places where the water supply is artesian wells. The documentary movie "Gasland" gives one side of the argument. The constant ads on our telly just now saying fracking is going to bring us (in the USA) a Golden Age of energy independence give the other side.

* I don't mean Lybster
    I really hate being bipolar. It's awesome!!!

dont vote john thurso back in may as he vote for fracking under peoples houses

They should start Fracking in Scotland under the homes of all the NO votes ,they voted for the union and Westminster control. Bend over and take whats coming, you deserve a good Fracking

if they do your water will get infected

Quote Originally Posted by dozy View Post
    They should start Fracking in Scotland under the homes of all the NO votes ,they voted for the union and Westminster control. Bend over and take whats coming, you deserve a good Fracking
    Caithness as a county voted NO,
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Shale-gas extraction is a significant danger to the medical wellbeing of people and all forms of wildlife on land, in the air and in water.

After shale gas has been mixed with other gases then it is used by consumers, together with oxygen, for several different purposes where a number of alien gases are emitted into your air as pollutants. Each of the alien gases emitted has a different atomic weight and molecular size. They do not go away like magic either.
    Last edited by unhappywanderer; 12-Feb-15 at 13:26.

Alien gases....do they appear like magic? If not where do they come from?
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    Well it's complicated. It seems a good idea to get more oil or gas out of existing wells instead of having to drill in ever more inaccessible (and sometimes quite beautiful*) places. On the other hand some of the chemicals they are using to do it don't seem to be good for the environment, particularly in places where the water supply is artesian wells. The documentary movie "Gasland" gives one side of the argument. The constant ads on our telly just now saying fracking is going to bring us (in the USA) a Golden Age of energy independence give the other side.

* I don't mean Lybster
    Yeah. The ads on the telly easily pass through the very porous border into Canada also.
    Apparently, the US is now "the no. 1 producer of natural gas" and are now using fracking to increase their oil production. If "that woman" on the ads keeps saying that they are "safely" extracting . . . then, eventually it will become true. Right?

If TV's weren't so expensive, I'd have thrown a few bricks by now.

Industry and corporate advertising has gone completely nuts, and I wish I could call it "unbelievable" but, sadly, it's working.

Oh yes, I almost forgot government advertising - which we all pay for - where they tell us what a great darned job they are doing, and claim it is just information for our enlightenment. Can I get more bricks, please?
    Last edited by David Banks; 16-Feb-15 at 21:30.

I quite enjoy it.... Oh.... Fracking.... Never mind, I'll get my coat...

“We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."