Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: David Murray pre 1819 Thurso

Default David Murray pre 1819 Thurso

Hoping someone may be able to help. My ggg grandparents, David Murray and Janet Douglas were married in Thurso in 1819. David was born outwith Caithness and as he died prior to 1855 and the 1851 census I have never been able to establish where he was born. Certain coincidences have led me to believe his brother was John Murray an innkeeper who was the son of David Murray and Christian Gordon who was born in Sutherland. If correct in my assumption this would mean that David was born in Kildonan in 1800. I have no proof of the link between David and John Murray but if someone was able to either confirm or refute my supposition it would help as basically my research on this line has stalled. Cheers

Hi Muzzer,these are the children born to David Murray and Janet Douglas from freereg, David Murray baptism, 1 July 1823 father's occupation Sherifs officer, abode Thurso, Wit' Arthur Davidson and Don Swanson. Sinclair Maitland Douglas Murray, baptism 27 July 1824, fathers, wit' Arthur Davidson and John Murray, occupation sheriffs officer, abode Thurso David Henderson Murray, baptised 8 October 1827, fathers occupation Merchant abode Thurso, wit' John Murray and Arthur Davidson, When David Murray married Janet Douglas 2 July 1819 at Thurso Davids occupation was Merchant, both bride and grooms abode Thurso, wit George Douglas and John Murray. in 1841 census from freecen, David is a labourer age 35, Jessie (Janet) also 35, with Sinclair M D and David H and a family of Mckay's, they are living at McDonald St Thurso, By 1851 David must have died and Jannet Murray is a widow age 54 a dressmaker born Thurso, her son David is with herage 22 unmarried, Shoemaker journeyman, born Thurso, their address is Murray's Buildings Thurso. Sinclair can be found at Tain, a farm manager with his wife Jean. The David Murray born in Kildonan also had a sister Mary 1798 Kildonan, a brother Thomas 1802 Reay Caithness, another sister Margaret 1805 Reay Caithness, I can't find a John to this couple,. will look some more tomorrow , Flora ,

Hi Flora, thanks for getting back. You are correct in nearly every detail apart from the Sinclair Murray in Tain as my one was living in Edinburgh in 1851. What I'm trying to establish is that my David Murray in 1819 is the same David born in 1800. John Murray's death certificate shows that he was born in Farr to David Murray and Christian Gordon. David was an innkeeper as was John who ran the Commercial inn in Thurso. As I said in my original post there are coincidences that lead me to believe John and David were brothers such as Arthur Davidson being a witness at a birth and John giving on of his sons Arthur Davidson as Middle names. Unfortunately I have no absolute proof due to David's relatively early death. I have quite a number of individuals I would like to research but until I can definitely make the link I may be going totally the wrong way. Thanks again for replying to my post.

Hi Muzzer, I think Arthur Davidson maybe a red herring, he seems to have been a witness at quite a few Baptism's and marriages, namely one I found on freereg for George McDonald and Marian Mackay at Thurso, in 1823, wit' William Waters and Arthur Davidson a foot note states Arthur was accountant at The Commercial Bank Have you got your Sinclair Murray's death certificate?, if so I assume it gives his Parents as David Murray and Janet Douglas, is he the one who died in Edinburgh 1894?. Flora

Hi Flora, Sinclair M D Murray died in Glasgow in 1874. I have viewed his death certificate and he is the right Sinclair. The Sinclair that died Edinburgh in 1894 is not related but the Sinclair Onson Murray that died Edinburgh in 1898 was David Henderson Murray's son.
    Last edited by Muzzer; 06-Feb-15 at 16:31. Reason: Wrong information