Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: New Thurso Hotel and Public Park Plan and the Present Local Plan Review

Quote Originally Posted by nevergiveup View Post
    The remaining hotels in town will suffer and possibly close and staff made redundant....
    Why so??
    The town is missing out on trade currently because of the lack of quality accommodation.
    W.A.T.P.

Every town needs a mix of accomodation to suit different travellers needs. A good mix of budget hotels up to luxury standard hotels caters for all visiters to Thurso. At the moment quality beds are missing and as such this high value trade goes elsewhere. Why are some locals so resistant to change?

Then they can go and work for this new Hotel.....some of them should be closed.....how many times have you stayed in Thurso Hotel? Some are OK......some are a disaster. I have been there.
    How many people sit on the Benches and take in the view....I don't think many do.
    Cliff erosion?
    Yes the developer will profit, as will the whole Town. The last time I was in Thurso was 2 years ago, and likely every 2 years dating back quite a while, and as far as I can remember there is lots of room for 'the view'............
    The increase of Tourism is quite evident...some people want a view and pay a princely price for it.
    Perhaps you are a 'local'. There is a new World here, and people are going to Caithness. Why doesn't it all have to be the same as 50 years ago.
    I appreciate your thoughts but......

..I dont agree with the location...
    The remaining hotels in town will suffer and possibly close and staff made redundant....
    The marvellous views will change forever...
    Why does the hotel developer not build the hotel on opposite side of road...?It would be less subject to cliff erosion ....
    Personally I wouldnt trade this view for a developers profit as that is what its all about..making money...
    The ideal spot would be Thurso Castle..
    Maybe the developer can talk to the Sinclairs....
    j

The Horseman.....further to your reply.....Yes I have stayed in several of the local hotels and all were comfortable....not up market but value for money...and lovely staff.
    Im not against a new hotel...just the location.....
    I think you will find that its the Thurso Bay and harbour areas that draw people to Thurso and every day Ive seen people walking sitting and enjoying taking in the views..
    Yes you can see the Bay from various areas however I think I would rather this area stays open rather than built up...
    Burnside is well known to have cliff erosion problems....
    Plenty other sites in Thurso for the developer......

Hi,
    Thanks for your Reply. We all have our thoughts.
    I would really like to see Caithness 'lighten/liven up'. The weather is not the best most of the time and many of the places are depressing to say the least.......I fancy a nice outside patio bar or whatever to sit on....and take in the view...and of course to the Hotel rooms....and someone is willing to Speculate.....
    Crayola mentioned it would look a Horror Version of a 1970's Butlins Camp.....I doubt that very much.
    I was looking at the area the last time I was over......Great view for the 'holiday maker'.
    Yes you get what you pay for....some of the places are pretty run down. And this NC 500 is increasing the traffic....oh well...we shall see.

The Horseman.....further to your reply.....Yes I have stayed in several of the local hotels and all were comfortable....not up market but value for money...and lovely staff.
    Im not against a new hotel...just the location.....
    I think you will find that its the Thurso Bay and harbour areas that draw people to Thurso and every day Ive seen people walking sitting and enjoying taking in the views..
    Yes you can see the Bay from various areas however I think I would rather this area stays open rather than built up...
    Burnside is well known to have cliff erosion problems....
    Plenty other sites in Thurso for the developer......
    The design of the site as now recommended for adoption by Highland Council planning officials will allow the view to remain almost intact. You say "The Thurso Bay and harbour areas draw people to the town everyday" which sort of sums up why we want to allocate the hotel and park where we do, rather than the "plenty other sites" you mention.

Visitors want to see the open vista AND the sheep in the fields.... Yes they would probably want quality affordable accommodation and good places to eat...however in my opinion I would NEVER trade this view for another hotel......
    The area would never be the same again......cars parking ..deliveries etc etc.....no no no.....

Visitors want to see the open vista AND the sheep in the fields.... Yes they would probably want quality affordable accommodation and good places to eat...however in my opinion I would NEVER trade this view for another hotel......
    The area would never be the same again......cars parking ..deliveries etc etc.....no no no.....
    As a regular visitor to Caithness for well over 20 years, visitors (with the money) want top quality accommodation. The rooms that command the top price always have a fantastic sea view. If sheep are what they want to see, then there are some good farm based b & b's.

This hotel could have the potential to really help local suppliers in this part of Caithness. The bar could help promote Rock Rose Gin, Old Pulteney Whisky and I understand someone in Thursoi makes whisky?

Local seafood from Scrabster on the menu along with the superb local meats we have.

Lets do the whole area a favour and support something this area really needs.

..I dont agree with the location...
    The remaining hotels in town will suffer axcrescencnd possibly close and staff made redundant....
    The marvellous views will change forever...
    Why does the hotel developer not build the hotel on opposite side of road...?It would be less subject to cliff erosion ....
    Personally I wouldnt trade this view for a developers profit as that is what its all about..making money...
    The ideal spot would be Thurso Castle..
    Maybe the developer can talk to the Sinclairs....
    Everything you say is correct. We the people of Thurso must nevergiveup our opposition to Raymondo's fantasy of a monstrous carbuncle.

I am led to believe no upmarket hotel chain would invest in this excrescence and the best anyone could hope for is a downmarket Travelodge or worse. That is not a price worth paying to turn an exquisite sight into a downmarket tourist trap.

Build a hotel on the site of Pennyland Farm and you may succeed. Destroy the view over Victoria Walk and you destroy Thurso.

Do you really want to spend the remainder of your Earthly existence thus? I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Everything you say is correct. We the people of Thurso must nevergiveup our opposition to Raymondo's fantasy of a monstrous carbuncle.

I am led to believe no upmarket hotel chain would invest in this excrescence and the best anyone could hope for is a downmarket Travelodge or worse. That is not a price worth paying to turn an exquisite sight into a downmarket tourist trap.

Build a hotel on the site of Pennyland Farm and you may succeed. Destroy the view over Victoria Walk and you destroy Thurso.

Do you really want to spend the remainder of your Earthly existence thus? I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
    i refer to my reply on the Planners give go ahead to our project thread.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678