Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Thurso Hotel and Public Park Plan and the Present Local Plan Review

away and bolt keep our view

Default New hotel is nuts

What a lot for dung is spoken on this site ,No we don't need another hotel built on green belt land .No we don't need to be bribed by offer of public walks to have one. Funny how the people behind the new development did have one of those old rundown hotels that already exist in the town . It's down to money ,if you build new NO VAT . Renovation of an old one NO TAX relief . This is NOT a case of doing what's right for the community but doing what's right for themselves and the only way to get THEIR way is to con folk into believing it's them that will benefit . Warm words from a WEASEL mouth, is no words at all. There is a few sites in town that would benefit from investment. The proposed new hotel is a red herring to push up the land value and that's in the interest of only one party. If they are interested in a new hotel surely the old foundry site would be good as its right next to the new swimming pool and fitness centre. It's a far better view and smells a lot better to with a lovely walk . For those who say Yes to the Rockwell site, I say this ' stop looking at the what your feed without asking the question .WHY ? '

Pretty feeble when your "planning" argument is about money and VAT then all you have is resorting to calling me a liar which I take from being called a WEASEL mouth. A bit of a low point on this thread. Argue as much as you can but don't call me a Weasel mouth.
    Last edited by Raymond Taylor; 07-Oct-16 at 09:27.

As for your points raised. I quote myself from earlier on this thread.

"Maybe I should buy the Royal back even given the fact I sold it 15 odd years ago because we considered it not fit for purpose and it had no future".

You can't make a silk purse out a sows ear sort of sums it up. The last 10 years in the Royal we spent £500k just to tread water. In my opinion, when we sold in 1997 the only option was to knock it down and start again, we did consider but that was totally unfeasable as so many attached businesses etc. Also no matter what class of building we had there, the boy racers would never go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Recycle it View Post
    What a lot for dung is spoken on this site ,No we don't need another hotel built on green belt land .No we don't need to be bribed by offer of public walks to have one. Funny how the people behind the new development did have one of those old rundown hotels that already exist in the town . It's down to money ,if you build new NO VAT . Renovation of an old one NO TAX relief . This is NOT a case of doing what's right for the community but doing what's right for themselves and the only way to get THEIR way is to con folk into believing it's them that will benefit . Warm words from a WEASEL mouth, is no words at all. There is a few sites in town that would benefit from investment. The proposed new hotel is a red herring to push up the land value and that's in the interest of only one party. If they are interested in a new hotel surely the old foundry site would be good as its right next to the new swimming pool and fitness centre. It's a far better view and smells a lot better to with a lovely walk . For those who say Yes to the Rockwell site, I say this ' stop looking at the what your feed without asking the question .WHY ? '
    Calling someone a WEASEL ! !
    You've put yourself in the category of, lower than a snakes belly in a wagon track.

I cannot believe peoples attitude to something that would be beneficial to the County. People should go and look at other places and see how progress can be beneficial to all parties (and hey, it is never in anybodies wildest dreams going to block the view). I would not expect anyone in business trying to make a living to do something only for the benefit of others. This would be beneficial to all, business owners, investors and Caithness as a whole. Lets not be jealous of what others do, but support them and reap the benefits as well.

The obvious clean solution to this impasse is to demolish all the buildings at Pennyland and build a low profile hotel in situ. Most of the buildings are falling down anyway, and demolishing the B&B would be a noble sacrifice to the community the owner tells us he wants to help. Just do it biyee!

Have you been on Tripadvisor Crayola? Think to demolish such a good business not to mention someones home is really senseless and quite a horrible thing to say. I know it has already been explained to you about the buildings and why they can't be demolished. I read it and took it in - just read it again - Biyeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    The obvious clean solution to this impasse is to demolish all the buildings at Pennyland and build a low profile hotel in situ. Most of the buildings are falling down anyway, and demolishing the B&B would be a noble sacrifice to the community the owner tells us he wants to help. Just do it biyee!
    I am sure the householders of the pennyland estate would be delighted to have their homes demolished for a hotel Crayola
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Have you been on Tripadvisor Crayola? Think to demolish such a good business not to mention someones home is really senseless and quite a horrible thing to say. I know it has already been explained to you about the buildings and why they can't be demolished. I read it and took it in - just read it again - Biyeeee!
    I think Crayolas been on something and it's certainly not Tripadvisor

Acid trip advisor
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    I am sure the householders of the pennyland estate would be delighted to have their homes demolished for a hotel Crayola
    Ha ha obviously I meant all the buildings at Pennyland Farm including the B&B. It would make a good brown field site.

Oh that makes so much sense now! (see what you mean Raymond and mi16)

Demolishing all the buildings at Pennyland House and building a green roofed low rise hotel in situ would solve virtually all of the problems we know about. The fabulous vista across Victoria Walk would be preserved and hotel guests wouldn't have far to walk into town for shopping and dining. What more could our would-be saviour and entrepreneur want? He wouldn't even have to dig deeper into his pockets to fob us off with a public park and woodland that no-one really wants. I have found a simple solution to a problem that's eluded Thurso tourism's finest minds for more than 20 years!

Where there's a witch there's a way.

This is one of those days when I remember why I left Thurso as a teenager. I have solved one of the town's most longstanding problems, a problem of more than 20 years' standing, yet none of the town's worthies have offered their support. Wake up you people! See what has been placed in front of you and grab it with both hands because this opportunity will not reappear for another 20 years with you lot in residence.

What you need to do is start up a movement with a groundswell of support to demolish the buildings at Pennyland and build the luxury hotel that so many of you deem necessary to augment and even replace Thurso's current population of ancient inadequate hotels. These are your opinions not mine so shout them from your rooftops. Tell your councillors you want to raise Pennyland to the ground and in its place you want to build a luxury hotel wth a fantabulous view across the fields to Orkney. It's a super solution that you wish you had come up with yourselves. It makes everyone happy so shout as loud as you possibly can and create a crescendo that can not be ignored by your political representatives.

Head sore today crayola, looks like you enjoyed a few sherbets last night
    W.A.T.P.

The planning argument against my project in now getting a bit thin and desperate since what I am proposing will have minimal if any affect on the view.

Recent argument has been VAT, TAX relief and now I should knock down one of Thurso's most famous "listed" buildings. Someone even suggests Thurso could do without a 20 acre public park and over 100 acres of community woodland with a few km of walks. I suppose we also don't need the 70 jobs, 20000 extra tourists and the £1.5m per annum spent in the town the new project would provide.

The only sensible thing said was about the project needing to be close to the towns centre for the benefit of the project and the businesses in the town.

I sometimes despair!
    Last edited by Raymond Taylor; 15-Oct-16 at 10:35.

It is a lie that the proposal previous to mine would have no effect on the view. Think about a 7 metres tall hotel that the proposer doesn't even know the height of with respect to the Weigh Inn. Then there is the big car park it needs and the roads to reach it and new fences and large rubbish bins. Think also of all the cars, vans and buses that would be parked next to it and the traffic the hotel would generate. Delivery vans, lorries, scaffies and all that. Then there is the proposed park with its walls, hedges, fences or whatever. The terrible effect on the vista and the amenity would be far, far worse than the proposer claims. Think about it and wince.

Building in in situ at Pennyland is the obvious solution. Raymond as expected is displaying the nimbyism he usually blames on others. Come on Raymond this is your opportunity to do something for your community. You have sat behind your lippy mouth for 20 years. Now you have been given the opportunity, for goodness' sake do something about it man!
    Last edited by crayola; 15-Oct-16 at 12:04.

So now I'm lying about the height of the proposed hotel which is covered in the 235 pages of CaSPlan and you want to knock down a listed building. Then your back talking about the Weigh Inn again. I'm sure people want to hear some new argument.

I have a statement coming out soon about the present situation with CaSPlan etc that will I am positive be of interest. It should be on the org and in the press over the next week or so.
    Last edited by Raymond Taylor; 15-Oct-16 at 15:50.

i dont pretend to know much about this. but maybe the old foundry site may be a better place for a new hotel.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast