Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Thurso Hotel and Public Park Plan and the Present Local Plan Review

Quote Originally Posted by mini one View Post
    Not sure what Mr Taylor thinks his hotel is going to offer to stop people wanting to go to Orkney.Is he going to be doing something more for the tourist than just accommodation for his own profit?As if he puts them in accommodation with that beautiful view I am sure they will ask wat the island is and will want to visit it.Would it not have been better to have bought the Pentland with no view of where you don't want people to go.I am sure Mr Taylor also is aware on the Asda etc housing requirements there are other sites available around town not just his or Tescos
    Maybe I should buy the Royal back even given the fact I sold it 15 odd years because we considered it not fit for purpose and it had no future. Do you realise how many thousands of visitors are not coming to the town because we don't have the large number of quality bed spaces required? Thurso actually needs a lot more bed spaces than I want to build. And yes many want to go to Orkney during a stay but it will be on a day trip using Thurso as a hub to tour the north like we did in the Royal.

As for the ASDA and housing comment. Sequential testing and the local plan has shown Pennyland is the place to expand Thurso for the health of the town since 2002.

And yes I do have self interest in mind, of course I am a business man with a 30 year dream. Saying that, I would not do anything detrimental to the health of the town. The hotel, public park and chalet development discussed on this thread would be one of the best things that ever happened to the town.
    Last edited by Raymond Taylor; 20-Jan-15 at 06:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Taylor View Post
    Maybe I should buy the Royal back even given the fact I sold it 15 odd years because we considered it not fit for purpose and it had no future. Do you realise how many thousands of visitors are not coming to the town because we don't have the large number of quality bed spaces required? Thurso actually needs a lot more bed spaces than I want to build. And yes many want to go to Orkney during a stay but it will be on a day trip using Thurso as a hub to tour the north like we did in the Royal.As for the ASDA and housing comment. Sequential testing and the local plan has shown Pennyland is the place to expand Thurso for the health of the town since 2002. And yes I do have self interest in mind, of course I am a business man with a 30 year dream. Saying that, I would not do anything detrimental to the health of the town. The hotel, public park and chalet development discussed on this thread would be one of the best things that ever happened to the town.
    Absolutely Right!

What is the latest on this proposed development?
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

If folk are up for a new hotel in Thurso ,why don't you contact J Barrie and OBriens and redevelop the Bridgend site .Clear all the ground between the two bridges which will give you all the ground you need . Get the council and the Scottish government to chip in and remove the Ellan Footbridge and replace it with a new road bridge . Put in around abouts at both ends off the bridge ,this would help relieve the traffic from the town square and give you two entry/ exit points. If you are truly wanting to do whats right for the community and make some money to boot, take up this idea and drop me a PM .

Was specifically interested in the development that has had plans submitted.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Is there any progress on the 'improvements' at Pennyland Farm?

Quote Originally Posted by dozy View Post
    If folk are up for a new hotel in Thurso ,why don't you contact J Barrie and OBriens and redevelop the Bridgend site .Clear all the ground between the two bridges which will give you all the ground you need . Get the council and the Scottish government to chip in and remove the Ellan Footbridge and replace it with a new road bridge . Put in around abouts at both ends off the bridge ,this would help relieve the traffic from the town square and give you two entry/ exit points. If you are truly wanting to do whats right for the community and make some money to boot, take up this idea and drop me a PM .
    If the private message asked you to fund what you wish would I get anywhere? I actually own the site I want to develop, I have no access problems and the views/amenity where I want to develop my new hotel secures it's future.

Quote Originally Posted by Scunner View Post
    Is there any progress on the 'improvements' at Pennyland Farm?
    Sorry could you be more specific?

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy View Post
    Was specifically interested in the development that has had plans submitted.
    No plans have been submitted for planning permission. I await the outcome of the Highland Council local plan review before deciding what to apply for.
    Last edited by Raymond Taylor; 19-Feb-15 at 15:56.

Thought I would post the Highland Council planning officials CASplan recommendations. These have now been approved by the Caithness and Sutherland Committee.http://www.highland.gov.uk/download/...velopment_plan

Caithness Councillors have gone against Highland Council Planning Officials recommendations to include the redesigned hotel and 20 acre public park I started this thread with. After several years and 3 rounds of public consultation I could not believe my ears what went on at the meeting to "debate" this.

Seemingly BBC Alba have picked up on the story and with 12 hours notice I was asked to give some comment. It's on the news tonight at 8pm I've been told. I will watch with interest and comment more later as I meet with planning officials in Inverness this week to discuss my options.

Quote Originally Posted by springparker View Post
    i dont understand why thurso would need more hotel's we have pentland,royal,weigh inn,holborn,st clair,park and more likely than not even more.the only reason would be for you to make money it has zero use to thurso in my view we need more shops to attract more people into the town then we might need a new hotel why in your opinion is the 6 plus hotels not enough for a town of a few thousand? i dont mean to disrespect your plan but this is my view on your project.
    If you maybe go and stay in one of the hotels in thurso you will maybe understand the need for something new, I agree in what you say shops should be an attraction so closing one to make way for something new and open more shops

I've said exhaustively over the years Thurso can become a hub for tourism and this was 20 years before the NC500 was "invented".
    The whole of the Highlands are 5 years behind where we should be as far as tourism is concerned and the opportunities that are presenting themselves. The main theme in the new local plan was support for tourism projects.
    Shame the councillors ignored this and their position is detrimental to the towns future tourism prospects.

Keep at them Raymond,
    It's a must, and in the perfect place.
    What a view they'll have.

I almost fell of my seat last night when the best planning arguement Mr Saxon came up with was the fact that the site had been through 4 public enquiries. Its Ironic is it not that he met the BBC in LIDLS carpark for the interview, where at the moment is the only place to sit and enjoy the view. No proper carpark, picnic tables or 20 acres to walk or take the dog.

I'll be back later to explain why I nearly fell of my seat, need to get the Breakfast on for our full house.
    Last edited by Raymond Taylor; 05-Oct-16 at 05:56.

I have only recently started reading this thread, forgive me if this has been mentioned earlier. Does the refusal of this planning application mean that everybody is now entitled to a view?
    I know that is quite simplistic, but having not read the planning documents, just picking up on what has been said here and in the media, this seems to be the biggest issue.
    I didn’t think anyone was entitled to a view, only a certain amount of light/shading etc.
    If the refusal is mainly due to the loss of view, can we all now use that as a reason to object to any proposal which interferes with our view? I can see that causing a headache for HCC planning department if that is the case.

No a view is not a relevant planning objection. However common sense does need to come into play. Below is some highlights of the brief Councillors had in the recommendations set before them in CaSPlan. The CaSPlan document is 235 pages and is on the Highland Council website. The points below are specific to impact on view which seems to be the biggest worry folk have.

CaSPlan.......
    The general response to the hotel market is outlined within Issue 10 Thurso. This refers to the expected growth of the tourism sector, continued demand from business visitors and the need to continue to improve the tourism product and accommodation on offer in Caithness.

Although the
    site is outwith the Town Centre Boundary the proposal for a high quality hotel, spa and restaurant on TS14 are considered as being mainly location dependant. It is expected that a specific selling point of a hotel, spa and restaurant would be its cliff top location, looking over Thurso Bay. Together with the Developer Requirements for high quality, low level siting and design the proposal would likely appeal more to the higher end of the market which is not being properly provided for at present.

The views out over Thurso Bay to Scrabster, Dunnet Head and Orkney are recognised as being important features and valuable assets of Thurso. To ensure a higher quality hotel development which minimises the impact on the landscape, the developer will be required to produce a masterplan for the site which will address issues, including the siting and design of the hotel, provision of a public park area, landscaping, access from the A9, enhanced active travel connections and coastal walk improvements.

High quality, low level design is essential and the inclusion of features such as stone dykes can also help to integrate the development within its surroundings. The visual impact is minimised by the hotel allocation being located on the eastern side of TS14, adjoining the existing caravan park. The hotel allocation is also restricted to 3ha which includes an area identified for Expansion of the Green Network along the coastal edge. This will allow for the protection of 6.5ha of land at TS12 for the provision of a public park which will preserve open views to
    Dunnet Head and Scrabster Harbour.

The public park and hotel development could help to provide a more attractive entrance into the town centre and remove the focus of the buildings on the seaward side of the A9 being mainly centred on the existing caravan park.
    Overall the Council believes that the allocation and the Developer Requirements are sufficient to ensure that any hotel proposal will have an acceptable impact on the landscape.

Visit Scotland’s Tourism Strategy identifies a need for more quality hotels in Caithness and to help meet this land is allocated at Pennyland. Given its prominent and sensitive location it is essential that a hotel in this location is delivered to the highest of standards. A low level building with features such as a green roof would help reduce the visual impact.

Last edited by Raymond Taylor; 05-Oct-16 at 12:52.

I only moved to Thurso this year, after having been a tourist to this part of the world for the last 20+ years. Thurso was a town we tended to stop for fish and chips, and then drove on. Every town needs a ‘posh’ hotel; International tourists (and some local) expect it. Looking onTripadvisor the top rated hotel actually in Thurso has a recent review which says ‘a tired soulless place’. I personally think Thurso needs some quality accommodation.

Good luck with your application.

Thurso is so behind the times, the North Coast 500 information rarely mentions Thurso. A high quality hotel would attract these tourists and they may actually stay here rather than pass through as quick as possible, I am afaraid to add that unless some forward thinking Councillors come on board there isn't a chance. The future of the town is in the hands of those who really don't look to the future and dare I seem to live in the past.

Well said Max. Thurso badly needs another hotel. Yes we need new councilors with open minds and a little sense.
    No one is entitled to a view ,thats what you are told if you live in the country ,when objecting to wind turbines .
    I think the hotel should get the green light.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast