Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Thurso Hotel and Public Park Plan and the Present Local Plan Review

Default New Thurso Hotel and Public Park Plan and the Present Local Plan Review

Please read the story and feel free to comment. Click here

Good luck. Hope it's not voted down by stuffed shirts 100 miles away this time.

To support or object to the project the Highland Council link in the story needs utilised. Public support is the only way I can deliver what I refer to in the article.
    Last edited by Raymond Taylor; 09-Jan-15 at 18:51.

Would this have a detrimental afect on the wiegh inn hotel ? Is there room for two lots of lodges.
    My mother seldom said anything, but her sighs were loud enough

I apologise I forgot to say it looks a very interesting positive project.
    My mother seldom said anything, but her sighs were loud enough

Quote Originally Posted by DMFB View Post
    Would this have a detrimental afect on the wiegh inn hotel ? Is there room for two lots of lodges.
    Competition is the life of trade.

i dont understand why thurso would need more hotel's we have pentland,royal,weigh inn,holborn,st clair,park and more likely than not even more.the only reason would be for you to make money it has zero use to thurso in my view we need more shops to attract more people into the town then we might need a new hotel why in your opinion is the 6 plus hotels not enough for a town of a few thousand? i dont mean to disrespect your plan but this is my view on your project.

Quote Originally Posted by springparker View Post
    why in your opinion is the 6 plus hotels not enough for a town of a few thousand?
    Do you think he wants to fill a hotel in Thurso with Thurso locals?

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Do you think he wants to fill a hotel in Thurso with Thurso locals?
    Don't be daft..they'll be from Wick of course.

no what i am saying is surley we have enough space for the size of town and its needs with 6 plus hotels why would we need more of the same thing ?

Quote Originally Posted by springparker View Post
    no what i am saying is surley we have enough space for the size of town and its needs with 6 plus hotels why would we need more of the same thing ?
    Ok, you reckon he'll get no clients. He's banking on that not being right.

We did 35000 guest nights our last couple of years in the Royal. We owned the Royal for 18 years and started with 6000 guest nights. I project 30000 per year in the new project and always underestimate any projections I do for bankers.

Royal v New Project? No brainer really with no disrespect to the Royal which we put our heart and soul into
    Last edited by Raymond Taylor; 10-Jan-15 at 11:08.

Everyone will have there own opinion about this, mine is that it will be a great boost, in the paper today Mr Taylor said he feels thurso is a stop gap for the orkney islands, I feel hes right, I work in a hotel out with Thurso and 90% of our peak month guests are just passing through, they set there satnav for the hotel postcode with no stop in the town nor adventure out once checked in etc.Having lived in Thurso all my days I feel the need for a in town hotel that is reliable, consistant and run well is whats missing, I couldnt off the top of my head say ive been somewhere twice lately that was good and good service.Mr Taylors end game is of course to make money why wouldnt it be, but think of his risk and input and hard work to set this up, the man would need a reward. I would love to see this come to fruit, I hope his determination and experience pays off.
    Live life while you have it, after is too late!!!

I couldn't agree more with the post from Digby as above. The town needs high quality developments such as this to survive. The development will not only create jobs but encourage people to come here and stay for more than one night. Yes, there are hotels in the town already but to be fair a large number of them are in need of refurbishment to meet the needs for modern guests there is also a shortage of long term accommodation for people travelling to the area to work for prolonged periods. Thurso and Caithness have been in tourism terms very much a 'stepping stone' over to Orkney. Us locals know we have as much archaeology, scenery and attractions here in the county as Orkney has but have failed to capitalise on them - to do that we need visitors. A development like this will attract visitors and therefore we can have the ability to highlight what is here in the county. The proposed watersports centre in Thurso seems to have garnered support, a development such as Raymond Taylor's has a knock on effect to help that happen. Someone has commented that what Thurso needs is more shops, we also need visitors to the area to make those shops viable. By providing high profile and quality accommodation the knock on effect into the economy is huge and things like shops will follow from this. I genuinely hope this comes to fruition and will be sending comments of support.

Default New Hotel

I give my support Raymond, Thurso is rapidly going downhill so any good news stories will help. Thurso does need another hotel, I work in Dounreay and deal with contrcators who have to stay as far away as Tongue due to lack of beds available in Thurso..this is all year round.

All the best

The Loafer
    Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz-buzz-buzz

Although I agree on his vision for Thurso...I think its totally in the wrong place...it would spoil the view for everyone except those using the hotel....There are other locations close to the town centre such as near the railway station where travel lodges would be ideal or the area near Bridgend that could be developed or near Thurso Castle...Obviously for the developer overlooking Thurso Bay is a prime location and am sure it would be a success but am sure most people wouldnt trade the view for a developers profit.

Why not use the 'tesco' site, its near the station, and at the moment it is a bloody eyesore for the town

I think if you look at the plans and proposals very carefully then as far as I can see any development is being done to minimise disruption to the view. In fact the public park part of the development in my opinion will enhance the view. At the moment it is nothing more than a sheep field. There is a desperate need in Thurso for quality hotel provision.

The Sequential test that was carried out for the ASDA/Retail site identified the site to the west of Pennyland House as the 2nd best site for a retail project several years ago. That site and the Mart site were the only ones available. This is still the case. The site I propose is the only site that would be beneficial to the project and the town centre. Any further from the town centre is too far. I know this from experience.Yes the Mart site if you had £3.7m to pay Tesco what they bought it for would secure you a Travelodge or Premier Inn site. Not what you would call a quality site for attracting the type of long term quality tourist, weddings, conferences etc that I have identified. I also own the site I propose to build on which makes the project much more viable and deliverable.

Quote Originally Posted by Scunner View Post
    Why not use the 'tesco' site, its near the station, and at the moment it is a bloody eyesore for the town
    Because it's a free country, because it's not Mr Taylor's responsibility that it's a bloody eysore, because it has a view of the scrapyard, because Tesco has land-banked it and because Mr Taylor already owns the ground beside the camp site.

There may be other reasons, too. Those are just the blindingly obvious ones.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast