Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fibre optic broadband now available in Thurso...

Default Fibre optic broadband now available in Thurso...

Just placed an order for an upgrade last night. Should be activated within two weeks. Just thought everyone would like to know that it's alive and kicking! :-)

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

...if you'd like to confirm that you're in an activated area!
    Last edited by Cobra; 03-Jan-15 at 09:21. Reason: Original post came out weird!

thurso area cant take orders just now

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P Cannop View Post
    Some areas of thurso are. Mine has been confirmed.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P Cannop View Post
    I placed my order last night, with activation happening within two weeks. Maybe the whole town isn't connected yet, but the checking service I linked to should confirm where any particular postcode is at.

Certainly not available through BT anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Certainly not available through BT anyway.
    It will be if you are in an enabled area.

I just checked if I can get BT Infinity, and I can. It must mean that some areas of Thurso are enabled where others are not, however, I would anticipate that it won't be long at all before all areas are activated.

Wink BT Infinity and beyond.

I placed my order and it has been confirmed. Live in the centre of Thurso. Expected day of exchange to Superfast is 23rd of January.

am in angus court area of thurso

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    I just checked if I can get BT Infinity, and I can. It must mean that some areas of Thurso are enabled where others are not, however, I would anticipate that it won't be long at all before all areas are activated.
    Possibly for those whose line goes through a cabinet (hence FTTC(abinet)) lots of lines are connected directly to the exchange and while I believe there are plans for some FTTP(remises) those will take longer and there is no guarantee that all areas will be covered.
    Also those who are not close to the cabinet may find that the speed increase may not be very much.

I checked for my phone number and it's changed from making a sniggering noise to saying 'we can't tell from your phone number, please call your provider', which is encouraging!

As Cobra has said, only some of the cabinets are being activated.
    The other cabinets will be switched on shortly due to work have not been completed yet in the cabinets and staggering the activation of connected lines.

Hey cazmanian - try that checking site using your postcode!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    Hey cazmanian - try that checking site using your postcode!
    Same result!

What I find really funny is that I have one residential line and one business line coming into the same house, both from the same provider. Running the speed tests at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/on the business line, I get a result of around 0.9MB and a message saying that the maximum possible speed for my area is 1MB, but if I run them on the residential line, I get 4MB!

I just checked on that web site and my result was this :-

I am not too worried as I am getting nealy 20mb download as it is. On saying that I will order the Super Fast B/B when it comes available.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I just checked BT with my Thurso address, I know it is available but says I am Melvich! Think I will call them!
    Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz-buzz-buzz

Quote Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
    I just checked BT with my Thurso address, I know it is available but says I am Melvich! Think I will call them!
    Check again, but with your Telephone Number. You will get a much more accurate answer that way.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

just placed my order today and will get it on the 12 feb 2015

who else has this in thurso ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast