Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Metal Detecting

Default Metal Detecting

Are there any individuals or groups that go metal detecting in the county. I am looking for advice on how best to get into it, best equipment, permissions, rules, etc, and for people to go detecting with. Thanks.

the beaches are good to start with there is always new stuff to find mostly junk though but some times you find stuff , the good thing though it is constantly moving so some days you find things some days you don't, as for my gear i got mine second hand its not fancy or that just a simple PI device i would recommend them, as for permissions you can only ask and they will say yes or no, only thing i can say as well don't expect to find a horde any time soon i done it for years and not found one, but hey its fun and gets you out for a while even when all you find is rusty nails all day

Check out the Crown Estates re metal detecting on beaches.

@sam09 they rules don't apply to Scotland but there is one i know of if a item is over a certain age it must be submitted and the best way to do that is a museum, i have done that with a few items they will have a look at them and tell you what age they are if your not sure

"Anybody wishing to carry out metal detecting on our foreshore requires a permit. This permit does not apply to the seabed or river beds or any other Crown Estate land."

This is a direct quote from Crown Estates Scotland. Google it. Do your homework to find out the regulations.

hmm i done my home work long ago how can you apply for something that don't exist ma by you didn't google enough but here is a link
    http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/coas...g-in-scotland/

You can apply for the non-existing permit online - it is free by the way.

Just meaning to be helpful.
    Last edited by sam09; 06-Jan-15 at 21:47.

I have a crown metal detecting permit down to water level and high tide and findings half shared with the crown

they were going to charge you £20 quid at one point and £10 quid for gold panning but it was dropped, it was through the gold panning i found out about it in the first place thats fun to if you pop down to helmsdale you can if you lucky find some gold, the rules are on the notice board, like sam09 say its free but not much point in Scotland but you never know they might update the maps and rules
    there is also something you can try to is build your own detector is no hard there a few kits you can buy it take a bit of soldering skills but if anyone is interested here is a link
    http://www.silverdog.co.uk/shop/inde...te=common/home
    and here is a site on info you need to put it all together
    http://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/page...&file=main.dat

It seems that there is sufficient interest here amongst Org members. Why do you not all get together locally and set up your own club?

Thank you all for your comments.