Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Metal Detecting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Metal Detecting

Are there any individuals or groups that go metal detecting in the county. I am looking for advice on how best to get into it, best equipment, permissions, rules, etc, and for people to go detecting with. Thanks.

the beaches are good to start with there is always new stuff to find mostly junk though but some times you find stuff , the good thing though it is constantly moving so some days you find things some days you don't, as for my gear i got mine second hand its not fancy or that just a simple PI device i would recommend them, as for permissions you can only ask and they will say yes or no, only thing i can say as well don't expect to find a horde any time soon i done it for years and not found one, but hey its fun and gets you out for a while even when all you find is rusty nails all day

Check out the Crown Estates re metal detecting on beaches.

@sam09 they rules don't apply to Scotland but there is one i know of if a item is over a certain age it must be submitted and the best way to do that is a museum, i have done that with a few items they will have a look at them and tell you what age they are if your not sure

"Anybody wishing to carry out metal detecting on our foreshore requires a permit. This permit does not apply to the seabed or river beds or any other Crown Estate land."

This is a direct quote from Crown Estates Scotland. Google it. Do your homework to find out the regulations.

hmm i done my home work long ago how can you apply for something that don't exist ma by you didn't google enough but here is a link
    http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/coas...g-in-scotland/