Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: NHS Service in Caithness

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    There is a standard relocation package on offer within the Highlands.

http://www.scotmt.scot.nhs.uk/media/...-highland2.pdf
    Thank you Alice. I have had a quick scoot through the document and will take a closer look later. My initial thought is one of surprise that the document is dated June 2004. If this is the current relocation package and it has not changed or been improved for 10 years then someone at NHS Highland has been asleep on the job.

My other thought is that this document requires prospective applicants to rather jump through hoops with all the paperwork to be kept track of (probably in triplicate) and their must be a whole department employed in Inverness to administer the process. I would say keep it simple, none of this messing about, and offer a very large one-off lump sum (Golden Hello) to be refunded in part or full if the applicant does not complete a set term. Reducing paperwork means reducing costs which can be passed on to the relocation scheme.

Just my initial thoughts and no idea if it would make a difference.

Default Apologies

My comment was not aimed at any one in particular , I just feel that on such an important issue, whilst we should be able to air our grievances and concerns, we should put aside any personal differences and fight for what we all know to be important. Is that too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    My comment was not aimed at any one in particular , I just feel that on such an important issue, whilst we should be able to air our grievances and concerns, we should put aside any personal differences and fight for what we all know to be important. Is that too much to ask?
    Lizz.............................................. .........Bless You.

You are quite correct Lizz................so what can we do to help the cause?

Alice, sadly I am too old to work in NHS now, but have passed a mean scalpel in my time to some brilliant surgeons in my previous life.

Weeker I am back in my box with my toys which I share with my neighbour, your friendly multi-drop asco driver.................oops, that should be on another thread.lol.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Superior View Post
    Thank you Alice. I have had a quick scoot through the document and will take a closer look later. My initial thought is one of surprise that the document is dated June 2004. If this is the current relocation package and it has not changed or been improved for 10 years then someone at NHS Highland has been asleep on the job.
    I believe this is still the package I know it was six years ago when one Consultant was given so many hoops to jump through and was spoken to in such a manner when he inquired into costs he didnt claim a penny.

My other thought is that this document requires prospective applicants to rather jump through hoops with all the paperwork to be kept track of (probably in triplicate) and their must be a whole department employed in Inverness to administer the process. I would say keep it simple, none of this messing about, and offer a very large one-off lump sum (Golden Hello) to be refunded in part or full if the applicant does not complete a set term. Reducing paperwork means reducing costs which can be passed on to the relocation scheme.
    Just my initial thoughts and no idea if it would make a difference.
    Golden hellos have been shown to work in previous years along with looking again at the work social life aspect of the job that would be a massive starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post

Alice, sadly I am too old to work in NHS now, but have passed a mean scalpel in my time to some brilliant surgeons in my previous life.

Weeker I am back in my box with my toys which I share with my neighbour, your friendly multi-drop asco driver.................oops, that should be on another thread.lol.
    I too have hung up my NHS hat and would never put it on again. I have the greatest respect and admiration for those still working in todays NHS its just full of too many chiefs now and not enough indians.

I was also noticing the comment on GPs mostly working part time. I am sure that if you calculate it out they are similar to some hospital staff who can actually cover their hours in a shorter period as in 8-6 is twelve hours a day worked over three to four days they will have worked slightly more than part time or indeed full time depending on how many days per week they work. We are desperately short of Gps.
    I'm sure 8-6 equals 10 hours and not 12

In my final NHS job before retiring I worked in another hospital, not CGH or Raigmore. New young managers would arrive straight from college or university clutching their certificates in pen pushing. They had no idea about the NHS and were too young to have experienced serious illness and the consequences for the patient and the families. The collective incompetence of these managers resulted in them blundering from one mistake to another and trying to 'protect each others backs'. If a member of staff pointed out a mistake, or how something could be improved, it was taken as a criticism. A culture of bullying and victimisation ensued.

One incident saw our Chief Executive ignore warnings from staff about a particular manager. Those of us who had reported the manager had a torrid time and many of us were victimised to the point of resignation and left. When the CEO eventually realised that we had been telling the truth over £100k had been misappropriated and the manager dismissed on the spot. But too late for many of the staff who had left their jobs. The CEO issued letters ordering that no staff should speak to the press and that the matter was closed. There was no prosecution. Of course, the CEO did not wish to have bad publicity for the hospital on her 'watch' nor have anything detrimental on her own CV. The 'books were cooked' to cover the manager's tracks.

I tell this story by way of saying we are all different . We all have different experiences. My story explains why I will post a fair amount of cynicism where managers are concerned. But I also try and introduce some humour because they deserve to have some fun poked at them. My humour is not meant to trivialise the problem we are discussing. Perhaps one or two posters have lacked a little compassion of late but, as I say, we are all different and we all want to see the same thing which is an improving service from our local hospital.
    Oh from reading what you just wrote along with other posts you are a pro in victimisation and bullying. I don't think anyone deserves to have fun poked at them. That's a rather childish approach.

Doesn't look like your toys have made it back into the box yet.

Quote Originally Posted by weeker2014 View Post
    I'm sure 8-6 equals 10 hours and not 12
    apologies for this gone back and sorted it however it still equates to a long day which can and does enable them to work shorter weeks whilst still putting in the hours.

The following link was written by a GP.

Its a long read however very enlightening and worth reading I feel.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-z...b_6385248.html

The following link was written by a GP.

Its a long read however very enlightening and worth reading I feel.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-z...b_6385248.html
    I may have had more sympathy for GP's if they were not the only members of NHS staff I don't have a good word to say about following the past 2 weeks. I am also pleased to hear that they pay so much in insurance for malpractice, however I reckon some need to pay a lot more than others to counteract their cock ups.
    Last edited by weeker2014; 12-Jan-15 at 18:43.

Actually I posted that information to show how it may be that we have such a shortage of GPS coming through the system .We have difficulty recruiting both in this area. By reading this it may have given some an idea on how difficult the government also seem to make things.

Its a good job that our surgery patients are not having to be transferred to Raigmore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-30796510

They would have to bring their own bed.

Its a good job that our surgery patients are not having to be transferred to Raigmore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-30796510

They would have to bring their own bed.
    Aberdeen was the same when I was in. Most of the Coronary Care Unit was filled with patients from other wards. The High Dependancy Unit nurse said they had 22 patients in other wards as there was no room for them in High Dependancy.

well if they do keep cutting bed this problem will never go away, people do get ill at times do management know this .

poppet, plague NHS Highland with questions, get your MP and MSP on the case and if you don't get any sensible answers go to The Health Minister at Holyrood, in other words make a right noise, ask for answers and if so inclined , remind them there is an election looming !

Thank you Lizz..............already on the case and have all these suggestions covered.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Thank you Lizz..............already on the case and have all these suggestions covered.
    Don't forget the Groat. Any good stories or if you want to write a letter of support fire it in. NHS highland bosses read the newspaper as well as us.

Perfect opportunity to go along and ask all the questions you may have about this make your voice heard.

http://whatson.caithness.org/event.php?id=23446

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast