Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: NHS Service in Caithness

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    Our MP John Thurso has his finger firmly on the pulse of the happenings at Caithness General. Just because he is not shouting about it from the rooftops does not mean he does not care or is not supporting his constituents to get us a fair deal.

Mr Gibson on the other hand...........head in sand.
    It is good to learn that at least one of our representatives is working away quietly behind the scenes checking pulses at Caithness General and trying not to make too much fuss. Meanwhile, Caithness folk hope and pray that they will not need emergency surgery at a time inconvenient to the pen pushers in Inverness or our Health Minister in Holyrood. Many sensible folk, especially the elderly and infirm, will of course be considering placing their property on the market and heading south rather than put their lives at risk any longer.

Unfortunately for me and many other pensioners the option to upsticks and move is not one for us. I was born in this Wick and have watched it grow become prosperous and would hope to see everything still moving forward when I turn my toes upp and head out of this place. I am afraid that unless many people from lowly pensioners like mysself to more influential politiitions and councillors voice theirconcern at this outragous move by NHS bosses then Im leaving this life dissapointed. Im sorely disgusted at what I read in the papers however I feel management dont care to them its a case of do what we want to do because we have to.
    My mother seldom said anything, but her sighs were loud enough

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    Our MP John Thurso has his finger firmly on the pulse of the happenings at Caithness General. Just because he is not shouting about it from the rooftops does not mean he does not care or is not supporting his constituents to get us a fair deal.

Mr Gibson on the other hand...........head in sand.
    I am not a great supporter of Rob Gibson but he is the only politician who has commented on it but only once. Thurso hardly ever speaks on any issues. The Labour candidate for 2015 GE should be jumping up & down about it, even if it just to 'show he cares'. The 3 prospective SNP MP candidates have not made it an issue. Not heard any of the List MSP's discussing it.

What does this mean? Maybe all of the parties could not give a hoot about Caithness?

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post
    I am not a great supporter of Rob Gibson but he is the only politician who has commented on it but only once. Thurso hardly ever speaks on any issues. The Labour candidate for 2015 GE should be jumping up & down about it, even if it just to 'show he cares'. The 3 prospective SNP MP candidates have not made it an issue. Not heard any of the List MSP's discussing it.

What does this mean? Maybe all of the parties could not give a hoot about Caithness?
    I have not checked this out and am going by memory but a few years ago there was an uproar down in England over the withdrawal of A&E at a local hospital. A slightly different situation I know but still the withdrawal of a life saving service to the community nonetheless. Kidderminster I think. Didn't the sitting MP, and other candidates, sit on their hands? Anyway, a local Doctor who understood the risks the community was being subjected to decided to stand for election on a ticket to save the hospital services and he had a landslide victory at the General Election. Now I am not suggesting that a local Caithness Doctor should stand for election because we simply do not have any to spare! But maybe a retired Doctor or Healthcare worker? Could a Save Our Surgeons candidate win in May and end up holding the balance of power in Westminster and trumping Alex Salmond to boot? They will have my vote for starters!

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Superior View Post
    I have not checked this out and am going by memory but a few years ago there was an uproar down in England over the withdrawal of A&E at a local hospital. A slightly different situation I know but still the withdrawal of a life saving service to the community nonetheless. Kidderminster I think. Didn't the sitting MP, and other candidates, sit on their hands? Anyway, a local Doctor who understood the risks the community was being subjected to decided to stand for election on a ticket to save the hospital services and he had a landslide victory at the General Election. Now I am not suggesting that a local Caithness Doctor should stand for election because we simply do not have any to spare! But maybe a retired Doctor or Healthcare worker? Could a Save Our Surgeons candidate win in May and end up holding the balance of power in Westminster and trumping Alex Salmond to boot? They will have my vote for starters!
    I vaguely remember this story. I would say good idea in principle however its not only a case of save our sureons its a case for the NHS or should I say NHS Highland to get creative in a recruitment drive for doctors. For this to happen it needs to be someone employed within the clique that are Management who are the ones effectively making a muck of this as far as I can see but hey Im only an innocent potential victim should I need this service. We cannot save effectively whats not there and at this momment it is full time permanant surgeons and from what i hear now medical consultatnts too their last remaining permenant one according to rumour has also resigned? Latest rumour I heard is that if theres no full time permanant consultants to oversea the junior doctors then the junior doctors wont get to come her to train. Not sure if this one is true or not but if it is No doctors No hospital we can all go and whistle for healthcare and then the GPS will be impossile to get an appointment with. Not good thoughts today.

A quick trawl around our current and potential representative's websites shows no acknowledgement of any issues at the CGH!
    MP John Thurso's website reveals a campaign to save Wick TA Centre and concerns for the Royal Mail. MSP Rob Gibson's website seems to be frozen in time from way back as has his twitter page which consists of nothing but retweets and nothing specific to his constituency. His facebook page however has a lot of fun pictures of himself and news of 1 or 2 social events but again nothing specific to his constituency! Our prospective labour MP John Erskine has a website and twitter page preoccupied with the bedroom tax and bashing the other parties but he has a refreshing facebook page which actually highlights some 'Far North' issues from his base near Inverness. The SNP do not yet appear to have a candidate for next May so no feedback from there. So have any of our current or potential representatives signed the Save Our Surgeons petition? Will any of them be putting their heads above the parapet?

well do they care as they can get treatment else where i just hope that they do not need out of hours care while they are in the county. but they will say that it come from higher eg nhs spending but when you think of it hoilday cover come out of expenses and nursing staff being cut the extra bank staff being taken on out of budget , single use item s say i use a pair of scissors to cut of a name tag these have to be bin (single use only ) and sealed dressings out of date binned , how can a sealed bandage be out of date it would be dtfferent if it was to be use internally , but who many of us look at a plaster before we put it on at home and paying 9000.00 to have some one tell you what is already happening. consultan fees eg dundar and town and county we know that the town and county has had a dementia ward closed and will not open as such so why pay some one to tell the managerment this completely madness

A quick trawl around our current and potential representative's websites shows no acknowledgement of any issues at the CGH!
    MP John Thurso's website reveals a campaign to save Wick TA Centre and concerns for the Royal Mail. MSP Rob Gibson's website seems to be frozen in time from way back as has his twitter page which consists of nothing but retweets and nothing specific to his constituency. His facebook page however has a lot of fun pictures of himself and news of 1 or 2 social events but again nothing specific to his constituency! Our prospective labour MP John Erskine has a website and twitter page preoccupied with the bedroom tax and bashing the other parties but he has a refreshing facebook page which actually highlights some 'Far North' issues from his base near Inverness. The SNP do not yet appear to have a candidate for next May so no feedback from there. So have any of our current or potential representatives signed the Save Our Surgeons petition? Will any of them be putting their heads above the parapet?
    Are they staying quiet for fear of looking foolish. After all this is not a new problem we have been hearing for years about this.If they stick their heads in the sand maybe the crisis will be gone by the time they take their heads back out of it. Rob has been Gibson I certainly am not a fan off never have been hes never done anything for me in fact never seen the mand nor spoken to him.

I see the Royal Navy have a hospital ship called the Argus which is currently anchored off the West African coast supporting our wonderful doctors and health workers fighting ebola. Maybe when its tour of duty is finished the ship could redirect to Wick harbour as back up to the CGH. As a former nurse I would be glad to offer my services on the wards free of charge. I am sure our elected representatives would see this as a good photo opportunity and get down to the harbour to have a tour and meet the Captain and, who knows, a little cruise around the bay. I can just see the pictures now on Mr Gibson's facebook page.

Oh now dont be going giving the NHS a get out claus I can just see it now.I must go buy the paper to see what other doom and gloom stories there are about our poor hospital. Anyone got any updates or do I rely on good old Gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by DMFB View Post
    Oh now dont be going giving the NHS a get out claus I can just see it now.I must go buy the paper to see what other doom and gloom stories there are about our poor hospital. Anyone got any updates or do I rely on good old Gossip.
    I have to agree there is nothing the pen pushers like more than a get out clause. There favourite get out clauses are the ones that save money of course and when they save money they get a nice fat bonus in their pay packets! Hooray for them but not so good for the seriously ill patients being transferred to Raigmore in the middle of the night! Not so good for the relatives either following the ambulances down the A9 and not so good either for Raigmore who will have an increased workload! But they will have done their homework and they will have worked out that only a small number of people will loose their lives each year as a consequence. They can spin that news by saying well the patients would have died anyway! So that's OK then! We can't have anything to complain about and.......... the pen pusher takes yet another bonus!

Well, having read todays Groat I see things are moving fast but not in the right direction! Todays news is a disaster for everyone living in Caithness and the staff who remain at CGH! Is that the last of the Doctors who has resigned now or is there anyone left? Of course, NHS Highland will state that they are advertising all the vacant posts and maybe they are but I'm not sure where. The NHS Highland website, as of this evening, shows not one single vacancy at CGH although interestingly there is a vacancy listed at Raigmore for a locum Consultant Surgeon. What does that tell us? More empire building in Inverness I guess and too hoots to Caithness! Of course, they have to say they are advertising the posts and then when nobody applies they can say with justification that they have no option but to reduce services on offer at CGH! Surprise Surprise!

Well, having read todays Groat I see things are moving fast but not in the right direction! Todays news is a disaster for everyone living in Caithness and the staff who remain at CGH! Is that the last of the Doctors who has resigned now or is there anyone left? Of course, NHS Highland will state that they are advertising all the vacant posts and maybe they are but I'm not sure where. The NHS Highland website, as of this evening, shows not one single vacancy at CGH although interestingly there is a vacancy listed at Raigmore for a locum Consultant Surgeon. What does that tell us? More empire building in Inverness I guess and too hoots to Caithness! Of course, they have to say they are advertising the posts and then when nobody applies they can say with justification that they have no option but to reduce services on offer at CGH! Surprise Surprise!
    Further information has just come to hand which may be of some interest. Apparently, the locum Consultant Surgeon vacancy at Raigmore is only for someone to cover for another Surgeon, for a period of 6 months, while they are on maternity leave. I also understand from my source that there are currently 13 Surgeons working in post at Raigmore with no other vacancies being advertised and certainly not at CGH.

Further information has just come to hand which may be of some interest. Apparently, the locum Consultant Surgeon vacancy at Raigmore is only for someone to cover for another Surgeon, for a period of 6 months, while they are on maternity leave. I also understand from my source that there are currently 13 Surgeons working in post at Raigmore with no other vacancies being advertised and certainly not at CGH.
    Forgive me for clogging up the board this evening but information is coming at me left, right and centre. I now understand that the NHS Highland budget is chronically overspent for the current financial year and that contrary to statements made in recent weeks by Directors of NHS Highland none of the Doctor and Surgeon vacancies at CGH will be advertised in the foreseeable future! Also, various moratoriums have been put in place to ensure that staff will not divulge the true picture of the current recruitment situation and NHS Highland can continue their 'spin'.

Some more info for you Mother, it is hoped that a locum surgeon is due about week beginning 19th January

Forgive me for clogging up the board this evening but information is coming at me left, right and centre. I now understand that the NHS Highland budget is chronically overspent for the current financial year and that contrary to statements made in recent weeks by Directors of NHS Highland none of the Doctor and Surgeon vacancies at CGH will be advertised in the foreseeable future! Also, various moratoriums have been put in place to ensure that staff will not divulge the true picture of the current recruitment situation and NHS Highland can continue their 'spin'.
    The irony is that Caithness General would be within budget if it wasn't for the cost of locum consultants and other staff. The situation is very close to a tipping point. If there is a shortage of consultants nationally it will be difficult to recruit replacements if potential recruits to consultant posts think they will be working in isolation. The lack of consultants will mean that junior doctors will want to be trained elsewhere and try to avoid coming to Caithness. Its difficult be optimistic about the future of patient services at CGH
    Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

[QUOTE=Scunner;1106631]Some more info for you Mother, it is hoped that a locum surgeon is due about week beginning 19th January[/QUOTE

Great News! Can you let NHS Highland know?
    Last edited by Mother Superior; 01-Jan-15 at 22:47.

It was the them that let me know !!!!!!!!!

I rest my case, locums are the bane of The NHS, but a least it's good to see so many folk showing their concern.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I rest my case, locums are the bane of The NHS, but a least it's good to see so many folk showing their concern.
    Have to agree with you Lizz - having seen 3 over a period of 2/3 months.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast