Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: NHS Service in Caithness

it is on caithness .org on the forum page at the top

I noticed the link and had a look and signed the petition. I bet management are closely following this one given that even their own staff are speaking out against this move and signing the petition. A step too far and in my oppinion a step in the wrong direction backwards not forwards. I wonder how they are going to retrace their steps and make this mess right. This may be voiced as a temporary move but lately all things temporary seem to have been permenant . Theyve known since ages they had someone retiring and the other consultant left months ago I still reckon they saw this as a way of saving money no matter what anyone else says.
    My mother seldom said anything, but her sighs were loud enough

I spent many months researching how NHS Highland were spending their money and was horrified to find that £4,000,000 was being spent re-imbursing folk traveling to Raigmore, I was also shocked that there were no figures for the amount it was costing for ambulances/air transfers to hospitals out with the county.This despite requests under The Freedom of Information Act.
    I am now advised that Holyrood has been withholding funds from NHS Highland and using them to try and bolster those hospitals that have problems in the central belt.
    I tried to ascertain how much it was costing for locums to work in general practice and again hit a brick wall. I am well aware of at least one GP selling a practice and then working weekend cover earning more for 3 nights than would normally been paid for 3 weeks.
    This has to stop, for too long those in the far north have recieved services that are far from adequate.
    Despite all the rumours, there is life north of Inverness.

i can well beleive these figures because i was down raigmore with a child and out of the 12 the dr was seeing only 1 can from inverness the rest was from up here and we all got 40.00 fot travelling expenses that kust one clinic on one afteroon just think how many clinics go on in 1 week.

https://www.change.org/p/shona-robis...-hospital-wick

This is a direct link to the petition. I've signed it, everyone should sign it, get your friends to sign it. Once a service has gone it is the thin end of the wedge. We all live up here, we're entitled to the same services as the rest of the country. We've all paid our National Insurance. We cannot be silent on this. 100 miles is too far for emergency treatment, this could easily cost a life.

Lizz How does a GP sell a practice you have lost me here.?

Quote Originally Posted by weeker2014 View Post
    No i'm pretty sure it was made at local level and sometimes tough decisions have to be made in the shorter term good. I would prefer a few out of hours went to ness rather than a reduction in day time services.It would seem you are a bit jealous of superannuated positions!
    where do you get the jealous bit from? I just dont think the people making the decisions on the provision of service have the slightest consideration for the customers.
    How many have personal objectives linked to performance pay awards for saving money by reducing services.

DMFB.... this was a practice run by a single doctor in a building that was wholely owned.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    DMFB.... this was a practice run by a single doctor in a building that was wholely owned.
    Ah Sorry Lizz you were meaning the building. I dont see a problem with this if this doctor decided to sell the building and use a different approach to working or a change of how they work. Let me ask a question if you could work in a different way earning as much money in a few days as you would earn in a week or even a month would you not consider it ? I would. When I worked I changed jobs and made decisions regarding my work for the benefit of me and my family. Every one does this.
    This is a differnet issue and detracts from the real problem we have at the minute which is how to recruit and retain staff in the NHS and in our local hospital. How to get local management to fight our corner and not reduce services how to get the government to step in and protect our hospital.
    I would hope that there is no perfirmance pay awards for saving money these managers are paid to manage and in no way should they be getting a bonus for doing their job. This clouds their judgement when it comes to making cuts. Do I cut this service for the benefit of getting a bonus because ive saved money or do i maintain this service for the benefit of the sick and needy and lose my bonus ? this makes me sick at the thought of it. Yes tough decisions have to be made but when they are making wrong decisions which affect lives then who are they to play GOD.

I would have serious doubts about the ethics of any doctor that does the above at the expense of the very patients they are supposed to help and it would be a challenge to my own although obviously as you say any such would have to be seriously considered.
    I quite agree that managers should not be paid bonuses regardless of profession, they should be remunerated for the job at a salary commensurate with the occupation.
    I would like to see at least one layer of management stripped out of The NHS and some serious logistics applied together with full accountability by non medical staff.
    There are so many small, simple things that could be done to save money.
    A case in point, since moving north, I have been written to every year with regard to the influenza vaccination and some years have received more than one such letter.
    On the rare occasion I have needed a doctor I have asked that my notes are checked and that I am deleted from such mail , I have also written twice explaining that on medical advice I should not be given this.
    This is just a minor thing but multiplied across the population the cost starts to escalate.
    Another expense that could be seriously reduced occurs when visiting a hospital clinic and requiring a further appointment. Despite having all the necessary equipment at their fingertips, it is often a case that they have to notify by post and not there and then.
    I could go on but you must be bored by now, so will stop !

Ah well here is where you and I have to to agree to differ on this one. I see no ehtical issue with a GP selling their practice building on and changing their employment status from permenant to locum. If this was the case then none of the consultants or doctors who leave a job where there may be problems thereafter would be able to move on in their career.Full accountability and no bonuses yes definitely within the NHS private sector it up to them.

It was purely a monetry move, that's what annoys me .
    The employment of locums is costing The NHS dearly.
    Last edited by Kenn; 18-Dec-14 at 00:57.

As starfish noted the travel expense forms to claim back "travel money" ...its not routinely highlighted or offered unless asked about ..
    We had 2 big trips down to Raigmore before we found out about the travel money....and that annoyed me!
    Plus the availability of Kyle court is a secret ....only get to know if you push for it if you have an early appt ..for a procedure..
    Last trip down would have been a 2.5hr trip ea way, but a phonecall from the consultant that lasted 5 mins tops covered it so we didnt have to travel.
    Why dont they use the video conferencing etc they have at Wick and keep things local.
    Shoving everything straight to Raigmore isn't helping Caithness retain the facilities or keep the training up to date for staff.....in all aspects of hospital care.
    Which leads to downgrading in all areas and a hospital that cannot meet the needs of people in bad weather as anything "complicated " is usually sent south.
    We live in the North of Scotland and we get snow and high winds that stops the ambulance and the air ambulance setting off as its not safe.
    What if a 3 car pile up happened at 8pm (multiple casualties) at the moment our hospital couldnt cope ....deaths that could have been avoided are going to be lost.
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!

Callum Miller builds and sells houses purely from a monetary point of view. Lots of people make decisions in life from a monetary point of view as has this doctor seemingly or thats what we are assuming and the hospital has made a decision to not have surgical services beyond a certain time for more than one reason. I believe that also is from a monetary point of view.Its the age old saying money makes the world go round and that is what is happening. This hospital could have surgeons here if they made the post very attractive and that includes a salary to reflect the job not having it in line with all other jobs which to me are not the same as working in the HIghlands. London offers more money due to its cost of living why cant we due to our location ?

Totaly agree with dmfb,as iv said before there are to many admin in cgh,all of them full of importance and think they run the place then when something happens they try to pass the buck on someone who just said what the public needs to know. They should question themselves not the staff. Maybe they should question themselves about the situation rather let raigmore walk all over them. Stand up to them in Inverness and put our own people in Caithness A VOICE in what happening

the trouble is up here is nhs are not give many people a full contract they seem to like 3 and 6 months . well to be honest who will want to give up a position and move family ect with out any garantee that they will keep you on once your3 or 6 months is up .

I think in the situation Cgh is in they should have a 3-5 year contract written in somewhere,maybe then more proffesional people might apply. Might be thats why they can use the excuse nobody applies for job,probably if the local people knew about this pityful contract they would see the reason no one want to come her. If only the manage could be honest with us it would help solve matters,we need to stand up to them sooner rather than later.

As we the members of the public are not in possession of the full facts only what we hear ont he grapevine we have to try to decide what we hear is true and what is fiction. If as is being suggested NHS are only handing out short term contract then I would be asking what is the bigger picture. This is being done for a reason and could this reason be because they are going to totaly change the hospital beyond what we know today. Is it going to not need all this staff in the future because the plan is to down grade and keep more folks out of hospital or shipped elsewher. I am sure i read inverness also cut beds at one point where does it all end. Offer staff a decent pay a decent contract and less meddling and chopping and changing by jumped up management who dont even work the shop floor or deal with the public and you might see a change for the better.Moral must be at a low in the hospital just now that wont be helping anyone.

services are beeing cut all over , in recent months 2 patients were kept in cgh hospital until a heart bed come available in aberdeen and raigmore, i do not know what the goverment except us to do with patients when they have cut all our beds perhaps we should set up a ward in they extra houses that we help pay for

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast