Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Travel to Iceland

Default Travel to Iceland

Have always been interested in a trip to Iceland (the country, not the shop), does anyone know of any routes from Caithness to get there (apart from buying a boat).

Just an interest if anyone has any ideas.

Cheers

Your nearest Iceland is in Inverness, here is the address and a Map to help you and you do not need a Boat either,

Iceland
    Unit 3B Rose Street
    Inverness
    IV1 1NQ

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Thanks for that, I'll pick up a profitarole cake whilst I'm there. I did put the country not the shop in my initial thread knowing some one would drop this on me.....

There are regular flights to Rekee-a, Rekii-a, Reykah... the capital of Iceland from Edinburgh Airport
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Icelandair fly from Glasgow, Easyjet fly from Edinburgh. What I usually do when trying to decide were to travel from is to look at the website for the destination and see where flights go to from there. I know that's a bit back to
    front but it gives you the possible starting places in the UK. The international airport in Iceland is Kevlavik have a look here to see where you could fly from http://b2b.kefairport.is/english/
    Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

I go every year to Iceland and always go from Glasgow Airport. The flight generally leaves around 14.10. Icelandair (with whom I always travel) have a very generous baggage allowance and fly into Keflavik which is around an hour to Rekyavik. The flight homewards is very early in the morning - around 7 - 8 am weather permitting! You get back into Glasgow around 10.30am. I have always found Icelandair very reliable and on the twice my flight was delayed I was given an upgrade to Business Class.

It is well worth a visit and if you have the time a trip to Akurey is highly recommended. It is only 50 miles from the Arctic Circle also worth a visit.
    Hope you get there and have a good time.

Thanks for the info, appreciated.
    I heard that a few years ago one of the ferries from Scandinavia used to call in at Scrabster, that would have been fantastic, but will look at flights instead.
    Suppose I'll have to head south to head north!!

The Smyril Line sails direct to Iceland from Shetland with their ferry, MS Norröna. Simply get to Shetland via Orkney to take part in the crossing.

Apologies, I just checked the Smyril website & it seems they no longer do that route.

Do cargo ships ever take any passengers? Scrabster to Faroe twice a week here. http://freshlink.fo/default.asp?menu=125 Then there is a ferry from faroe to iceland.
    http://www.facebook.com/CaithnessWillows

The Smyril used to dock at Scrabster but when the Icelandic economy crashed the service was withdrawn. It still runs from Faroe Islands to Iceland but docks in the North of the Island. The Faroese boats which dock here have taken parcels for me but no passengers. The old service took 36 hours to get to Iceland and 5 days to get to Scrabster!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Your nearest Iceland is in Inverness, here is the address and a Map to help you and you do not need a Boat either,

Iceland
    Unit 3B Rose Street
    Inverness
    IV1 1NQ

You obviously never read the post properly.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Iceland? Isn't that one of the countries that has abandoned the moratorium on whale hunting?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Yes Rheghead and that why despite having friends in Rekyavik it's off my travel list.
    I find it quite baffling that they promote wild life tourism and are quite happy to kill the very things they are promoting. I also find it even stranger that they say they need to kill whales in order that the tourists can eat whale meat.
    Sorry for going off thread.