Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Howlin' Gaels

Quote Originally Posted by moncur View Post
    Yip you're right. A part of me does wish that Duress was playing at 'How-No?' because once our set was over i too would join the flock and saunter off to Skinandis. Why? One word - Burgers!
    "How-No?" Brilliant! I think this new venue has already found a nickname. Nearly we'ed myself when I read that, moncur.

And by the way, am still surprised no-one has died of food poisoning from Skinandis, as the food - served at room temperature last time I was there (yeah, a sheep-flockin' minion at times, too) - was rank awful.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    "How-No?" Brilliant! I think this new venue has already found a nickname. Nearly we'ed myself when I read that, moncur.

And by the way, am still surprised no-one has died of food poisoning from Skinandis, as the food - served at room temperature last time I was there (yeah, a sheep-flockin' minion at times, too) - was rank awful.
    All the alcohol that has to be consumed before the 'food' looks attractive is enough to kill off any bacteria in the 'food'

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_Plastic_Food View Post
    All the alcohol that has to be consumed before the 'food' looks attractive is enough to kill off any bacteria in the 'food'
    true true, BUT the few times I've been in skins....................food was the last thing on my mind. More beer was closer to the thought

"How No" Bar & Grill

wickid

Default Setting The picture straight

I feel I need to explain here why the Gaels are not playing the Big Gig, firstly as was previously mentoined the Big Gig will be happening when we are likely to be down south, and secondly we have just spent nearly a year and a half putting together an album for charity, thanks to Deemac who made that possible. Another reason is that over the years we have raised tons of money for numerous charities RLNI, TTIA, Guide Dogs for the blind, Cancer Relief, Youth Clubs the list goes on, however if the Gaels are to stick to our plan for this year we have to raise enough money to tour and record our next album so charity gigs are to be kept to a minimum for this year, but it can't be said we don't do our bit for charity. as far as the TTIA goes nobody should be raising an eyebrow just because we refused to play at the big gig this year, as I said we have played many times for them and raised a considerable amount of money for them over the years so we shouldn't be chastized for not playing at the BG.
    As far as charity gigs go we doin't mind doing any gigs for worthwhile charities such as TTIA but a line needs to be drawn, as soon as word got out that we were gigging again I was contacted by numerous people all wanting a free performance, however as i said before it costs money to run a band and that money has to come from somewhere, I didn't find any local organisation (especially the council) willing to help us when WE needed funding all we were met with is excuses which I found disapointing to say the least after all we have done for the community charity wise and promoting the county.

[QUOTE=Chobbersjnr;205826ever played a trad tune in 7/8????? I did last night, when Shona M stuck me through a musical mincer for 5mins.[/QUOTE]

Q. How does a drummer count in 7/8

A. One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Se-ven!

(Sorry - couldn't resist)

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    true true, BUT the few times I've been in skins....................food was the last thing on my mind. More beer was closer to the thought

"How No" Bar & Grill

wickid
    If they have a lounge bar they should call it the "Gonnae no do that Lounge" to go with the "How No Bar" , I love the lighthouse keepers on Chewin The Fat

PS lets have another Gaels thread!

how many people here have actually been there?

i have been in there a LOT.

maybe too much lol.

wallets getting a bit spacious...

Quote Originally Posted by Cazaa View Post
    Q. How does a drummer count in 7/8
    A. One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Se-ven!

(Sorry - couldn't resist)
    Its counted/played thus:
    One, Two, Three, Four, One, Two, Three (Repeat) . . . . .

(play the snare on the two, four and second two).

Listen to the Pink Floyd track - "Money" as a good example.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    Its counted/played thus:

You're a pedantic sod. This lady has forgotten more about music than you've learned, check!!!
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Its counted/played thus:

hmmmmm away & teach gran tae suck eggs.................that is but one way of counting it

Shona Mooney played a thang that was counted thus One, Two, One, Two, One, Two, Three. The one's are all accented

& if you used Money as a 7/8 reference it would be as helpful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo Deemac make sure you take the blunt claymore to the next gig mwahahahahaa

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    If they have a lounge bar they should call it the "Gonnae no do that Lounge" to go with the "How No Bar" , I love the lighthouse keepers on Chewin The Fat

PS lets have another Gaels thread!
    rename the Grove, Gonnae No Dae That Byraway-But Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    rename the Grove, Gonnae No Dae That Byraway-But Bar
    Actually an someone find out for me why they called it the Y-Not, not wishing to offend anyone, I have been in some right states in my time on various substances, but I don't think i ever could have come up with something as bad as that, did they have a meeting to decide it.... just kidding. I'd like to know the story behind it

Its counted/played thus:

lol - had to laugh there Deemac!

(It was supposed to be another 'drummer' joke in that the final 7 is split into 2 syllables [se-ven] thus making it an 8-beat.) but as I've now had to explain it to you - it kinda loses whatever cache it posessed.

You could split it any way you like: 5+2, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3 . .

Incidently, as Money is in compound time, it would be 21/8 and not 7/8 (even though it's generally 'printed' like that for drummers what can read)

I'm also aware that ChobbersJnr can play in 7/8, 11/8, et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazaa View Post
    lol - had to laugh there Deemac!

(It was supposed to be another 'drummer' joke in that the final 7 is split into 2 syllables [se-ven] thus making it an 8-beat.) but as I've now had to explain it to you - it kinda loses whatever cache it posessed.

You could split it any way you like: 5+2, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3 . .

Incidently, as Money is in compound time, it would be 21/8 and not 7/8 (even though it's generally 'printed' like that for drummers what can read)

I'm also aware that ChobbersJnr can play in 7/8, 11/8, et al.
    Cazaa,
    Yes, I'm affraid your joke passed me by, and I had no idea of your musical knowledge, background etc. I apologies for my presumptions.

Your right about 'Money' it does jump from the 7/8 sections to a swung 4/4 (for the guitar solo section) and back again. (I played in a band many years ago and created a backing MIDI sequence - though I have to admit to sampling the cash register intro section - lock, stock and barrel!! - Ooops).

And like Chobbers I can't read either (just like Buddy Rich etc)
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Just want to say good luck to both bands 2moro night.

Default Saturday Night.

I've gone threw all the threads and well i'm seeing a lot of complaints about the entrance fee, well fair enough! But to be honest i have no idea why because it is absolute buttons!

At the end of the day the Gales are not going to be begging people to turn up. It is a band that has a reasonably good reputation up down and around Scotland and has and continue to do there bit for local charity.

And if all you can come up with for not going well apart from the fact that you all seem to think £6 is to much??? is that you are not getting an extra hours drinking time and for god sake burgers!!! I mean come people that is a poor show! All the Gaels are trying to do as a band and have always strived to do is put on a good night of music for people! but what is coming across clearly from people on this forum is that the mentality towards music in this county is ridiculous.

The Howlin Gaels have been a pub band for years and what we are going to be doing now is targeting different kinds of venues as in concert halls and just basically bigger venues, we are also going to be doing most of our shows with another act so most of our shows are going to be done as a pay at the door event or a ticketed event, but that is not saying that we are never going to do another pub gig!

All the Howlin Gaels are offering the music loving public of Caithness "god rest there souls" this weekend is a quality night of music and that should be enough!
    Last edited by TazHowlinGael; 30-Mar-07 at 16:54.
    TazHowlinGael

Concert Halls? Bigger venues than a pub? What's in the pipeline, then? I'm all ears now. Tell all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    Concert Halls? Bigger venues than a pub? What's in the pipeline, then? I'm all ears now. Tell all.
    The Gaels have quite often played the bigger venues and headlined many festivals there is no change other than the fact that we decided not to do so many gigs in smaller venues this time round, we musta played in thousands of them up and down the country but because fees offered by the smaller venues don't always meet the costs involved, we sometimes didn't even break even although we were filling places, and often when I was handed our fee at the end of the night I knew full well that it didn't even cover the damage sustained during the gig by well meaning drunk people falling all over it.
    But before anyone gets on their high horse let me just say that as a touring band with all the costs that that incurs such as travel, promotional material, wear and tear on eqiupment etc there is no business sense in spending half the day sound checking then all the night performing and how ever many hours travelling for fees like £150 or £200 which simply doesn't cover costs let alone pay any sort of wage to the musicians who after all has provided entertainment all night, I spend around £50 - £70 pound per month when gigging regularly on harmonicas alone.
    I'm not saying that we are charging extortoinate fees we are simply charging the going rate for an established four piece band.

tommorow night will be ace!end of!!

Don't know if anyone is a member of the Musician's Union but this is on their web-site:

SCOTLAND & NORTHERN IRELAND GIG RATE

EFFECTIVE 1ST APRIL 2007

Engagements before midnight:

Engagements up to 2 hours duration, a minimum payment of £65.00

Engagements over 2 hours and up to 3 hours, a minimum payment of £80.00

For all engagements over 3 hours, an additional minimum of £13.00 per 1?2 hour or part thereof to be added to the 3 hour minimum of £80.00.

After midnight the additional minimum of £17.00 per 1?2 hour or part thereof to be added.

Engagements commencing at midnight or after:

A minimum amount of £65.00 to be added to the agreed fee for performing.

I would think that £6 per customer would be a fair price to pay. Best of luck to you for the gig. Hope it all goes well (I remember seeing you in Wick about 10 years ago - it was cracking)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast