Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Howlin' Gaels

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

"have you heard the news, it's the same old blues AGAIN"

forum's always good for a laugh..................

mon the gaels & get Dead Greatful to play Marriage Made In Hollywood (Paul Brady)

The gaels are not playing the 'big' gig because it is a thankless unpaid gig!!
    our choice!we will be playing a paid gig that weekend somewhere down the line!each to their own!!

Quote Originally Posted by swavey View Post
    our choice!we will be playing a paid gig that weekend somewhere down the line!each to their own!!
    I will also be doing paid gigs............one of the main reasons I'm not directly involved in TBGII other than supplying of PA

One boiled egg per day is far from a healthy diet HEHE

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    why can you bigger bands play at the thurso gig big gig i dont see any howling gales down on that list made be they its too big for them most other bands fae the town are play at that or made they on tour at that and dont shout am just asking

And who said the English language was dead eh!!!!

Many fine points from both camps - as ever it's an entertaining and interactive public read.

The reality will be shown by the numbers that actually pay to get in on the night in question. I hope this new venue is a great success as Thurso is in dire need of some punter/venue competition from the virtual one-shot-deal present situation. (Ain't a pre-12pm entry curfew a wonderful thing?).

I unfortunately suspect that the well-worn, sheep-like social patterns of the alcohol obsessed Thurso punters will take allot more to dislodge.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post

I unfortunately suspect that the well-worn, sheep-like social patterns of the alcohol obsessed Thurso punters will take allot more to dislodge.
    Yip you're right. A part of me does wish that Duress was playing at 'How-No?' because once our set was over i too would join the flock and saunter off to Skinandis. Why? One word - Burgers!

Quote Originally Posted by moncur View Post
    Yip you're right. A part of me does wish that Duress was playing at 'How-No?' because once our set was over i too would join the flock and saunter off to Skinandis. Why? One word - Burgers!
    Y Not Bar and Grill. One would assume that burgers will exist there also.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by moncur View Post

Waow, that's one expensive burger moncur!! (Entry fee + Burger) Are they that good?

And peps are arguing about a £6 entry fee . . . !!! - really puts it all into perspective I suppose.

[quote=Deemac;205788]Waow, that's one expensive burger moncur!! (Entry fee + Burger) Are they that good?quote]

I dunno, Im usually steaming by the time I get there so can never remember lol. I think the whole argueing about the price of the gig is silly. like someone said earlier, Its only the cost of approx 2 pints of ale! And its not like HAVE to go to the gig. Vote with your feet if you dont like the price tag i say.

Infact, I dont see why anyone is argueing about this thread. Everyones coming to the DURESS gig in Wick that night anyway, like it or not. thats right i insist that you all turn up! Including the Gaels and Dead Grateful!
    Last edited by moncur; 27-Mar-07 at 14:39. Reason: additional Rant lol

Dick, can I hitch a lift on yer pedal boardio????

& BTW apparently fantastic all female traditional band "The Sirens" are charging £9 admission in Ullapool tonight.................& no burger

ever played a trad tune in 7/8????? I did last night, when Shona M stuck me through a musical mincer for 5mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    Aye no probs! Lol Think im just gonna convert the board into a second trailer infact *pops down to the river next to somerfield in wick to get a trolley til chore e' wheels aff it*

You should get a full house on sat moncur!i here the capacity of the blackstairs has gone up to 30 now!and if you were supporting the gaels wouldn't you stay until to the end to show...........eh! ah yeah,SUPPORT!!!!!????

You should get a full house on sat moncur!i here the capacity of the blackstairs has gone up to 30 now!and if you were supporting the gaels wouldn't you stay until to the end to show...........eh! ah yeah,SUPPORT!!!!!????
    lol yip we all know its a small pub but the atmosphere makes it a good place to play. To be honest I would stay to watch, cheer them on etc until 11.45 then id be off to skins. Dont ask me why, its just what I do.

Wee known fact:
    Today is 3 years exactly since my first gig with Duress, and it was in the Redwood funnily enough. After 2 broken strings (and lack of spare guitar because i was drunk when i went home to get ma stuff and forgot to check that ma spare guitar was in the hardcase!), me and fellow guitarist Bones had had enough, ended the gig and joined the flock heading to skinandis. Theres no moral behind the story, and no arguement with it either. Its just a bit of random information I wanted to share

Talking

beleive you me, we would pay the bands but we cant.

the overall idea is to build a scheme where we can make a small profit each year, get the ball rolling. im in charge of other projects this year and hopefully next year also which will build up some funds for next year.

big gig is a community effort until we can start paying. bare in mind its takes up to 3 grand just for gala week, the liscences the floats, the secuirity. it all takes time and money.

and its not a thankless gig because unlike some people all the bands involved have been greatful. we cant give you what you want until the community helps and puts a little in and not sit and moan about it on a caithness music forum.

a lot of the money also goes into the people helping since isaac is being paid a substantial amount for sound. we just cant afford to pay everyone. there are many bands and no money because the community refuses to get off their butt and help. thurso football club have been very helpful as many others have been too. but frankly a few comments in here worry me.

swaveys one about the thanklessness. we are not a music group, or company. we have no equipment pre stored or owned. it has been done once by someone who has never done something on this level before. that was last year.

im doing it this year out of my own free will. i dont get paid. i took it on voluntary and quite frankly if i knew this much work and HASSLE and was gonna cause me this much grief which in my current condition is somewhat damaging to my health, i would have asked for payment but in the end i suppose i dont want it. because on that night i know that those bands will do what they love, play some kickin tunes, with a decent crowd. i originally wanted the gaels to headline and had there good buddy jeemag ask them for me. but it was a no.

many of the bands have had no issues with payment and just want to play. they have been really helpful and have all had a say in what goes on and i still encourage that. i even passed on that little info about same size trucks as someone joked they almost broke their foot last year.

i would also like to add that a bigger band was scheduled to headlined known as darkwater who just finished a european tour from glasgow. and they offered to play for free as long as we gave them accomodation. they has a very good attitude and realised that we couldnt pay them but even then the manager knew that the music scene up here was dying and offered them for help. now someone in the big gig thread this year and last year mentioned it didnt seem fair to bring people from down south up to headline because then it wouldnt be a local gig..... so i passed up the very generous offer, and jumped straight to the gaels. passed that one up.

so as for the thanklessness, fair dos, saxifur probably do a better job with a better attitude anyway.

and i certainly wont be making the same mistakes and choices i did his year when i do it next year, if i have still have the honour to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post

& BTW apparently fantastic all female traditional band "The Sirens" are charging £9 admission in Ullapool tonight.................& no burger

ever played a trad tune in 7/8????? I did last night, when Shona M stuck me through a musical mincer for 5mins.
    Chobbers,

I thought Whisky put you through the musical mincer EVERY gig!!

. . . and by the time Rossie's finished most songs end up in 7/8 anyway don't they!!!

im not looking for an argument with you k dragon!im sure you will do a good job with the gig and get thanks for it!
    there is nothing more the gaels love,than entertaining a crowd by doing what they do,but they have done a lot for charity in the past!
    with august being a busy time for gigs,then there are chances of good paid gigs!
    hope the big gig goes well!

naw man, i aint looking for an arguement either i know i come across agressive on the site but i sear im a big kid really (might explain the hissy fits) you just gotta check out my you tube site to see what an idiot i am lol.

i guess i just cant be conveyed through text lol

its all good

Many fine points from both camps - as ever it's an entertaining and interactive public read.

The reality will be shown by the numbers that actually pay to get in on the night in question. I hope this new venue is a great success as Thurso is in dire need of some punter/venue competition from the virtual one-shot-deal present situation. (Ain't a pre-12pm entry curfew a wonderful thing?).

possilbly one of the best posts!

only cause it dumbs it down for me in seconds and dont have to read everything!

great work deemac he he
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Although the Gaels stuff is not exactly my taste I do appreciate that £6 is piddling money by the time it is broken down. I hope is goes well and the venue is filled - I'm sure you'll give them a crackin' night.

Good on you for taking the risk off your own backs BTW - who dares wins!

Fair enough you have a paid gig elsewhere. But to say the Big Gig is a thankless unpaid gig? Isn't that laying it on a bit strong, especially considering it's a charity-fundraising event. Right?

You're right. Old habits die hard. Y-Not will provide the litmus test. Here's hoping they're onto a winner...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast