Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Howlin' Gaels

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    its not that a lot of venues "dont" want to pay for it.

its a case of they "cant"

but like i said im not getting into economics and politics, its not my game nor do i really care for it.

in the end i think its too much, and im not going for that price. my loss i guess.

You're not into economics and politics? And you're the guy who's running The Big Gig this year? Right. Whatever.

Anyway, when you insinuate that a lot of venues can't pay musicians to play, what venues are you referring to? Local pubs I imagine. Well, let's say a pub can't afford to pay a band, say £150 (pretty much the going rate for anywhere other than Edinburgh and Glasgow). A gesture, of any kind, to make that band feel rewarded and respected will go a long way. By that, I mean something like £50 (to cover petrol costs, van hire, gear, time off work to do gigs, all the stuff that you need to do when you're gigging) and a crate of beer - which would be a drop in the ocean to any pub worth its salt. Anything less...? Well, you'd have to be either (a) in a school band; (b) selling yourself short much to your own detriment; (c) a new band still finding its feet and learning its stagecraft; (d) doing it as a one-off (i.e. a charity event, or sitting-in with pals).

So let's look at it from another angle. If your band has been playing a while, making a name for themselves and 'recognised' around town, then I imagine a few proud friends and relatives would come along to your gig. Great. If you've done your homework and advertised, told the radio, the papers, put out flyers and told everyone you know, then I'd assume they - along with a handful of punters in the bar (say even only ten turn up) - would amount to about 40 people minimum. Fair dos? Cool.

Now if this is a Free Entry gig, and that those 40 people have bought four drinks (the bare minimum if spending half my adult life in bars in the Far North is anything to go by) each at £2.80 (a rough guess at the price of a pint, and it keeps the sums easier), that's approx £450 in bar sales. The band meanwhile, who have playing for 90 minutes and keeping everyone entertained, get nothing. The bouncer gets paid, the cleaners get paid, the bar staff get paid. The band whose aim it is to bring customers in should also get paid. As I said, £50 a crate of beer. Everyone will feel a bit better about themselves.

OK. Controversy time. The door price issue (another matter entirely). Why pay £6 to see the Howlin' Gaels when Little Ronnie and the Jazz Mags are playing for a few quid less down the road? The fact of this particular matter is that the general public won't pay £3-£4 to see a band they've never heard of before. The Gaels - like them or not - have an established reputation as a quality, upbeat electric blues band. They've been on the go for years and years, fill venues, and leave beer-soaked smiles on punters' faces. It's been proven and that's why they can command a fee - and justify sticking a £6 cover charge on admission to their gig.

Some other bands just aren't ready to charge that amount at their gigs yet. You might be young, hot and exciting your peers who come along to your shows. But unless your pulling punters in, and regularly (£££££ everyone), then venue managers and bookers will be reluctant to put you on. (Note: this doesn't mean that if they do, they shouldn't pay you anything - they should.)

However, by playing smaller venues bands will become tighter, hone their stagecraft, and make themselves visually appealing. That means slogging round any pub you can play (see example 'C' from above). It's hard work, but it makes you a better band in the long run, and a more popular one, too. The Gaels have paid their dues.

Overall, the point of this entire rant is this: a fairer deal for bands everywhere. You work hard to write songs and entertain, you deserve to be rewarded... something, at least.
    Last edited by The Pepsi Challenge; 26-Mar-07 at 22:22.