Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should voting in elections be made compulsory?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes:

12 48.00%
  • No:

13 52.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Voting in elections be made compulsory ?

Default Should Voting in elections be made compulsory ?

In my opinion voting in elections should be made compulsory.
    Last edited by sam09; 03-Nov-14 at 13:24. Reason: Not needed

What good would it do?

More votes would just take longer to count.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    What good would it do?

More votes would just take longer to count.
    Great sense of fun sids, but if you have to ask, maybe you lack the mental capacity to make your vote count.

Quote Originally Posted by sam09 View Post
    maybe you lack the mental capacity to make your vote count.
    Probably, so tell us what the improvement would be.

Probably, so tell us what the improvement would be.
    As most politicians would answer, I refer to my previous reply. (although I am not a politician).

Quote Originally Posted by sam09 View Post
    Great sense of fun sids, but if you have to ask, maybe you lack the mental capacity to make your vote count.
    Interesting thought there. How do you compulsory make people go and vote who genuinely do not have the mental/physical capacity to go down to the polling station? And should you go down the route of having a medical exclusion then how much will that cost? How do you draw the line medically to say this/that person is ineligible to vote? And what of the social divisions and stigmas will that sort of thing create?

And how will your compulsory votes be enforced? £50 fine or inprisonment and who will pay for that?

It is all a bit ugly if you ask me and a bit draconian in a liberal society that we hold dear or we aspire to become.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

If some people don't care who wins an election, what is the real effect of compelling them to mark a paper?

What is the benefit and to whom?

I don't think Sam has thought it through, as he's already failed to answer. I hope there isn't a problem with his mental capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Interesting thought there. How do you compulsory make people go and vote who genuinely do not have the mental/physical capacity to go down to the polling station? And should you go down the route of having a medical exclusion then how much will that cost? How do you draw the line medically to say this/that person is ineligible to vote? And what of the social divisions and stigmas will that sort of thing create? And how will your compulsory votes be enforced? £50 fine or inprisonment and who will pay for that?It is all a bit ugly if you ask me and a bit draconian in a liberal society that we hold dear or we aspire to become.
    Australia does not seem to have a problem with compulsory voting Rheg
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    I heard Belgium has it too.

What are the effects and benefits?

I heard Belgium has it too.What are the effects and benefits?
    A 100% turnout perhaps, sadly not being Australian or Belgian, I have no idea, I voted for the Union
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

A 100% turnout perhaps, sadly not being Australian or Belgian, I have no idea, I voted for the Union
    I heard Belgium gets about 89% turnout, so not much more than the non-compulsory referendum.

This country has thousands of bozos who don't vote. Were they made to vote, there would be an effect on results and eventually, on party policies. I don't know what the effect would be, or if we'd want it.

Yes they do. Thousands are fined at elections, some pay, some refuse to pay.

I think Election day should be a national holiday to increase voter availability.

I'm 100% against forcing people to vote.

I'd rather someone who was voting for something had researched what they were voting for rather than showing up to vote just because they had to.

To quote a song -

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

(Freewill by Rush, in case anyone is wondering).

If some people don't care who wins an election, what is the real effect of compelling them to mark a paper?

What is the benefit and to whom?

I don't think Sam has thought it through, as he's already failed to answer. I hope there isn't a problem with his mental capacity.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    I would think sids that with all decisions we make in life, we research the best choice for us and make our decision accordingly.

From my experience over the years it really doesn't matter which party gets voted in the end result is always the same.

Quote Originally Posted by series2A View Post
    From my experience over the years it really doesn't matter which party gets voted in the end result is always the same.
    But you can never be sure what would have happened, had the other lot got in.

But you can never be sure what would have happened, had the other lot got in.
    You can be 100% sure what would happen, politicians give themselves pay rises, more holidays, stick their fingers up at the workers, raise taxes and stick their noses into other countries business and tell them they doing it all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by series2A View Post
    You can be 100% sure what would happen, politicians give themselves pay rises, more holidays, stick their fingers up at the workers, raise taxes and stick their noses into other countries business and tell them they doing it all wrong.
    When did they give themselves more holidays?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast