Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Donald Henderson 1805 - 1862

Default Donald Henderson 1805 - 1862

I am doing some research into the family that used to own my house in Cellardyke, and have found a series of Hendersons that were very successful skippers in Cellardyke, Andrews and a Donald also known as Daniel. Most descended from a Donald Henderson born in either 1805 or 6 the the census's I've been able to access in Fife show him born in Caithness, One entry looks like Halkirk but its difficult to read. His sons James and Andrew were born in Caithness too, one census year entry says Wick another says Pultney. So there is no doubt he left the area pre 1841. James was born approx 1829 and Andrew approx 1831.

My fascination is really why they left Wick at that time, and went to Cellardyke.. It may have just been a marriage, as he was married to an Alison Boyter from the East Neuk.. how they became successful fishermen..

Son Andrew was best grossing skipper in Cellardyke in 1875, Grandson Andrew owned fifies and then a steam drifter Cromorna KY73 before being blown up in another vessel during WW1 with his two sons Andrew and Alexander.. Daniel also had his own Fifie the Vine KY417 before being lost with the Steam Liner Bernicia SN199 and the rest of its Cellardyke crew in 1900

I'm not really expecting any answers unless someone has already studied this period and come across Donald. or has access to boat registration records of this time. I presume he was a skipper, did he have his own vessel that he brought down to fife? any other genealogical info would be useful.. So i'm just throwing these questions out there in case this rings a bell with any researcher.. many thanks
    Richard

One born in Halkirk 1805 and 1806
    Place Halkirk
    Church Church of Scotland
    BaptismDate 31 Dec 1805
    Forename Donald
    Sex M
    FatherForename James
    MotherForename Margaret
    FatherSurname HENDERSON
    MotherSurname MUNRO
    Abode Acheleur
    FatherOccupation
    Notes Geo Macleod and Cath Henderson witness
    FileNumber 5078

County Caithness-shire
    Place Halkirk
    Church Church of Scotland
    RegisterNumber
    DateOfBirth
    BaptismDate 05 Jan 1806
    Forename Donald
    Sex M
    FatherForename John
    MotherForename Janet
    FatherSurname HENDERSON
    MotherSurname WILLIAMSON
    Abode Harpsdale
    Notes Jas Williamson and Jean Henderson witness
    FileNumber 5078

Could it be one of those. Name of first children may help. did he have a 2nd born daughter Margaret or Janet!

There were of course other Donald's born around that time eg Reay, Latheron
    Last edited by Tricia; 14-Nov-14 at 15:13.

Hi Tricia, not long after posted this I discovered some in on line that suggested this lineage.. The second table show's Donald's children which I have confirmed, so I hope your info agrees with mine. James and Margaret his parents and Donald and Margaret his grandparents... I see on your info there is no occupation against the father, shame would be good to know if they were fishermen too. Thanks for your help
    Donald Henderson- M- Margaret Mcleod
    James Henderson b. 11 Jan 1778, Halkirk –M-Margaret Munro b. about 1782, Halkirk ,married 23 July 1803 Halkirk
    u
    Donald Henderson
    1805– 10.8.1862
    Born Halkirk, Caithness, Christened 31 dec 1805 Halkirk,
    Died of fever Cellardyke after 14 days and phthisis after 2 years
    u 1861 Census entry 165, Tofts Head Court
    Donald Henderson (56)
    1805/6– 10.8.1862 Born Caithness/ Wick
    Married Alison
    18/04 1828 Kilrenny pledged on same day in Reay Caithness

Married Catherine 23/1/1857 in Crail
    Alison, (Alices, Alicia Helen) (Boyter) (53)
    25/Nov/1800 (Kilrenny) Christened 30 Nov 1800- 24.10.1855 (Kilrenny)
    (Kilrenny kirk-session records of November 8th 1829, to the effect that David Wilson has been found guilty of adultery with Alice Boyter, wife of Donald Henderson in Wick, and he is the father of her child as well as having six children of his own.)
    Catherine Gosman b. 1812 Crail
    James
    b. 1829 birth reported 1830 in Kilrenny d. 6/5/1902 in
    Paynesville, Victoria, australia
    Andrew
    b. 1832 – 15/7/1876
    v
    Euphemia
    b.1833 d.3.6.1845
    Margaret
    b.1841
    networker
    Daniel (Donald) w
    1842 -15.2.1900
    Christened 11 Sept 1842 Kilrenny
    Catherine?
    b.7 Oct 1836 Cellardyke, christened Kilrenny
    11/ 9 /1837
    Catherine
    b.1855?
    d.4.11.1856
    Elizabeth

I note that among the placenames mentioned in earlier posts are Achleur and Harpsdale. These are both inland in Caithness to the south of Halkirk village so I would expect the families living there to be farmers or more likely crofters. There are numerous Hendersons in the 1841 census in the Harpsdale area and they are mostly involved in farming.
    spittalhill

Still not mine but looking positive. I will check Halkirk Deaths in tomorrow for his parents grandparents.

Piece: SCT1841/438 Place: Kilrenny -Fife Enumeration District: 2
    Civil Parish: Kilrenny Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
    Folio: 2 Page: 6
    Address: Sharp's Wynd

HENDERSON Donald M 36 Fisherman Outside Census County (1841)
    HENDERSON Alison F 37 Fife
    HENDERSON James M 12 Fife
    HENDERSON Andrew M 10 Fife
    HENDERSON Euphemia F 8 Fife
    HENDERSON Catherine F 6 Fife
    HENDERSON Margaret F 3 Fife

HI Tricia, still building plenty of info on the descendants, did you get anywhere with death certificate of parents or grandparents, thanks Richard