Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Rumster Hill Climb

Default Rumster Hill Climb

just watching Guy Martin on C4 and it's reminded me of watching the Rumster Hill Climb as a nipper

after googling i found this ... on the Caithness Car Club ...

'The club is more known in the sprinting scene, but it did once run one of the most notorious hillclimbs - Rumster, whether its notoriety was a result of the white knuckle driving or the social scene, only those who participated will know!

Unfortunately the Forestry Commission used the tarmac for access when tree felling and destroyed the track. Caithness Car Club surrendered the track license and the hill dropped off the championship. However, the committee are working hard to try and resurrect the hillclimb at Rumster and its hoped it might once again, provide more thrills in years to come.'

such a shame, i know the trees are gone and the track mostly looks like crap, but can it happen again ? ....

Hopefully so. I know it was being discussed when I was in the club years ago, but the costs were rediculous, and it needed widening and re-qualiflying to comply as it would be considered a brand new track.
    Would be great to see. So many memories of the events in the past. Good times indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    Hopefully so. I know it was being discussed when I was in the club years ago, but the costs were rediculous, and it needed widening and re-qualiflying to comply as it would be considered a brand new track.
    Would be great to see. So many memories of the events in the past. Good times indeed.
    There is supposedly lots of funding for this kind of community benefit from the wind farm folks, I wonder if the the CCC have been down this route?

I would two or three hundred thousand should see quite a good surface, landsaping, run off areas and spectator areas plus parking!

Do you have a map, I would be very interested to know the layout and route run.

Many happy memories of Rumster hill climb from years gone by. Catering support and Marshalling as well as just enjoying being a spectator.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Was it not the access road to Rumster mast ?