Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Cavity Wall Insulation

Default Cavity Wall Insulation

Has anybody in Caithness had their cavity wall and loft insulation done for free in the area lately? I am struggling to find a company that will do it in this area.

Thanks

RDI in thurso did mine couple of years ago, think i went through hydro first and they organised it

we had ours done two years ago but that was on a Highland Council scheme. Not sure if it is still available.

Not meaning to alarm anyone, however we were advised against the foam injection cavity wall insulation on the basis that the air in the cavity provides a layer of thermal protection anyway, however any water ingressing has a hard time evaporating as there is little or no air movement to assist with evaporation once the injected foam sets. A surveyor advised us that new builds have slabs of insulation material installed in the cavity, however these have channels in them to allow for air movement and evaporation, which reduces the chances of damp patches forming on the interior walls of the house. The surveyor said that good loft insulation was much more important.Just what we were told, and I'd be pleased if someone with expertise on the subject could add anything.
    Blazing Sporrans
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail...." Ralph Waldo Emerson