Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Feuar's Houses, Olrig

Default Feuar's Houses, Olrig

I'm researching my family tree and have found this address on several censuses. Please can someone tell me which road they are on. I have googled them and cannot find any reference. I'd really appreciate any information.

Olrig is in the parish of castletown,hope this helps x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

As far as I know the Feuars Houses were in the main Street up around where the Hotel is

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Olrig is in the parish of castletown,hope this helps x
    Castletown is in the parish of Olrig.

Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    As far as I know the Feuars Houses were in the main Street up around where the Hotel is
    In the 1881 census, the Feuars houses were in ED6 schedule 2-256. The school masters house was schedule 1 and the Commercial Hotel 256, and the enumeration district " all the houses on each side of the main street in Castletown Village and a few of the immediately surrounding hamlet".

I would say that the feuars houses were on both sides of the main street between the school and the hotel.

Rosemary

Quote Originally Posted by gollach View Post
    Castletown is in the parish of Olrig.
    Yip thats what i meant....blonde moment sorry! x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Thanks everyone. I'm very grateful for your help. I'm new to this so I hope I've put this post in the correct position!! Planning to visit soon and wanted to know the location so that I could take some photos.
    Last edited by AnneB; 07-Aug-10 at 11:11.

For those who haven't discovered it yet, the "street view" feature of Google maps has covered most of Scotland by now. I've just toured up & down the main street of Castletown from the comfort of my home computer.

It's a great tool for planning visits as well as it allows you to become familiar with visual landmarks.