Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Rape

Default Rape

I was just reading an article on Judy Finnigan and her debut on the programme loose women concerning the future of footballer and convicted rapist, Ched Evans, and what his future should hold when he gets out of prison. http://home.bt.com/entertainment/tv/...11363937322247
    I don't think their is doubt in anyone's mind that he has committed a serious crime and has been duly found guilty and punished.
    What are the views as to what his future should hold?
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Okay Kevin so you commit a crime ( sorry using you as an example I know your as honest as the day is long ) You are sent to prison and serve your time. You are then released as having served your time. Been punished. Are we to then on your release add further stipulations to you are we to dictate what you can and cannot do....why release you in the first place then.
    I am not denying rape is a serious charge however its the system that has let everyone down here if he has not been given what most folks see as a stiff enough punishment.

If upon his release he commits another crime then punish him again harsher however until then he is entitled to get a job in the field he can work in. Would we have the right to prevent you ( sorry Kevin ) to not go back to working in your shop.

Judy spoke her mind which the show is all about ,folk are now crying out to have her opinion silenced but at least it has caused the debate to be discussed .

Lessons to be learned all round in this one is my own thoughts.

The difference being that this is a public figure who is up held as a model; that, youngsters especially, aspire to emulate.
    There are many situations in life where a business' access to consumers/clients is limited ( eg advertising junk food during childrens programmes; alcohol and tabacco endorsments limited to cetain time tables and certain films and the people that buy the products are limited by age);
    Other people are restricted in what work they can carry out ( for example, some cat walks imposining a minimum BMI for the models or even countries which have legislated to ban models with BMI's that are too low.
    There are also many many crimes which carry restrictions that carry on after a person's sentence is spent: sex crimes ( sex offenders list- bans on working with vulnerable people); Theiving/burgalry/robbery ( job applications ask for spent sentances so that they can decide if the peroson applying for the job would pose a risk of them or their clients being robbed; people being banned, after serving their jail terms, from whole city centers, shopping malls, etc); driving convictions ( driving historycan impact on wherther or not you get banned from driving, loose a licence, etc).
    So, aside from this footballer being rewarded by all the free publicity this dicussion on the media is raising ( thus keeping him in the public eye), do I think he should be banned from football? I would not say he should be banned from playing football. That would just stir up attention and keep the media light on him. I think that any club considering to give him a job should think about what example of athletism, team playership and example they are holding up. What does having a convicted rapist on your team say about it (the team)?
    What does it say about the consequences to brutal crime, not only to potential rapists, but also to potential victims?
    This footballer needs to be released and then to have to face life, just like all ordinary folk. He must be made to answer arkward questions about his criminal past, just like all "ordinary" criminals. And, if life is fair, he will loose out on jobs because of his criminal past, just like all "ordinary" criminals.
    Sometimes a small, seemingly innocuous, descision we make can have huge life long consequences. Everyone has to be afraid that tif they choose to do something violent or criminal that it MUST and WILL have huge life long consequences. Stability of social order depends on it.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Leaving aside the moral argument I can't see any club wanting him. Even the small time sponsors of local small teams would remove there sponsorship never mind big clubs with multinational sponsors.

I was thinking along the lines of Judy Finnigan, but wasn't surprised that what she said has caused an uproar. I would also be surprised if he could cope with the stick he would get if any club were to give him a chance.
    I don't know much about the case or the circumstances surrounding it, but if the justice system has done its job and he is genuinely remorseful for the mistake he has made, he should be allowed to get on with his life in any way he feels able to.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.