In "Network Connections" I have the Local Area Connection, Internet Connection and 1394 Connection. There's also a Network Bridge. This is at the very limit of my understanding of networking so I'd appreciate a bit of guidance from someone more in the know....

The pc is my "main" pc and the broadband router is connected to it using an Ethernet cable (it's a standard BT wireless router). Two other pcs are connected by wifi to the router. IP addresses are allocated by DHCP.

I understand why I have the Local Area Connection (that's the NIC on the motherboard connected to the router).

I understand why the Internet Connection thingummy is there. That's the router.

I don't understand why the 1394 Connection is there - isn't 1394 FireWire? I have FireWire sockets on the pc, installed as a PCI card because occasionally I use an external disk. Do I need it (the Connection, not the card) or can I delete it?

Mostly I don't understand about the Network Bridge (no matter how much I read about the things) which, according to "Properties", bridges the 1394 and Local Area connections. Why, I have no idea. I think it goes back to the pre-broadband days here when I had a satellite broadband service for downstream traffic (but dialup for upstream).

Does a 1394 network connection enable networking over FireWire? Can I delete the Network Bridge? I know I could just do it and see if it all works afterwards, but......

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks