Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Ageist are they or not?

Default Ageist are they or not?

Has anyone over the age of 65 had a problem of getting work and you feel that its because of your age that you dont? Because you feel that otherwise your experiences in life make you qualified for a chance at the post.
    I have had 2 main jobs in my 68 years,12 years in H.M.Forces and 24 years working for the Metropolitan Police Service.
    However i cannot get a job as a Porter (N.H.S) OR Stacking shelves (TESCOs)
    I left both of my jobs with exemplary records,so if its not my age why am i unemployable?

mind if i ask why you want to work at 68 years of age?. I've been looked over for jobs myself and found teenagers in the role the following week and that was obviously due to teenagers being cheaper to employ. Likewise i heard of one company boss at 28 yr old would not employ anyone older than him. his loss tbh

I think it can be very hard to secure employment when you're over 65 years old Bruan, which is why I'm self-employed even though I'm pushing 70! I can't see me ever retiring and I'm still paying in a little tax. I think it keeps me going. There's life in the old gal yet.

It's probably easier in the South to find work, because several large companies do not discriminate on age. I don't know if you have one where you live, but B&Q are very good for giving older folks a chance. That's all many of us need and we have a reputation for being reliable, punctual and steady in our tasks.
    Some local supermarkets are good employers also. Have you tried having a word with one of the Managers? You have a proven, excellent track record and it should count. So, best of luck to you.

You haven't convinced a prospective employer that they want you.

One of the problems of being a reliable employee all your life is that you don't get a birds eye view of what its like to be an employer and all the humps and bumps that it entails. I know what its like to have a good employment history and then in later life find yourself in the employment wilderness. My lowest ever point was applying for a job that was advertised in a pound shop and not even getting a reply. My only advise would be is not to allow your stamina levels to drop as a result of inactivity, keep active and stay positive, I'm sure you have a lot to offer for many years to come. Good luck.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

i'm not sure about Tescos, but if you don't get the job after an interview you might be able to just ask them straight out ... 'why didn't i get the job ?' ....

i'm pretty sure the NHS and Highland Council are obliged to tell you, but like i say, i'm not sure about other employers

again, good luck - stay positive