Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Can I buy a new laptop, running Linux, locally?

Default Can I buy a new laptop, running Linux, locally?

I can't abide the last laptop I bought and I hate the new Windows rubbish. Can I buy a new one with Linux that will make me want to use it everyday?
    Susie.

just get a laptop and you can install http://www.ubuntu.com/ my kids use it and me to, you can install it using usb or cd or even try it before you install it is a live version, also its the only one that i have found that supports wireless cards without having to find drivers and that, its the best one i have found so far for laptops

Hi I have been using linux and unix for many years long before it was popular for home pcs.
    I used to use Ubuntu but found the new desktop layout not very useful.
    On my laptop and also my partners I made them dual boot. That is at start up you can choose if you want the pc to start windows or linux. I would recomend linux mint.
    my partners mother (92years old) uses linux mint.
    To test it out it can be burnt to a cd and run from that without effecting the pc. it will be a little slower on the cd of course but will give you a taste of the system. Using a re writable cd you can try different linux versions.
    My email should you need any other help if i can is is swlr2005@yahoo.co.uk
    Last edited by titchy3; 11-Sep-14 at 13:29.