Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sinclairs and Mackays of Caithness & Strathnaver before

Default Sinclairs and Mackays of Caithness & Strathnaver before

Descendants of John 41st SINCLAIR - 19 Apr 2005
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST GENERATION

1. John 41st SINCLAIR was born about 1490 in Dunbeath Caithness Scotland. He died on 18 May 1529 in Battle of Somersdale Stenness.

He was married to unknown mistress. John 41st SINCLAIR and unknown had the following children:

+2 i. David SINCLAIR.

He was married to Elizabeth SUTHERLAND (daughter of Sir William of Duffus SUTHERLAND and Janet INNES) < 1527. Elizabeth SUTHERLAND was born about 1488 in Duffus Moray Scotland. John 41st SINCLAIR and Elizabeth SUTHERLAND had the following children:

+3 i. George 42nd Earl SINCLAIR (born on 14 Jul 1527).

SECOND GENERATION

2. David SINCLAIR died in Mar 1560 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland. He was born of Dun.

He was married to Marie (Margaret) CALDER (daughter of William CALDER). Marie (Margaret) CALDER was born of Dun. David SINCLAIR and Marie (Margaret) CALDER had the following children:

+4 i. William SINCLAIR (born about 1517).
    +5 ii. 2nd w Christian SINCLAIR (born about 1537).

3. George 42nd Earl SINCLAIR was born on 14 Jul 1527 in Duffus Moray Scotland. He died on 9 Sep 1586 in Edinburgh Scotland.

He was married to Elizabeth GRAHAM (daughter of William GRAHAM and Lady Janet KEITH) < 1543. Elizabeth GRAHAM was born about 1516 in Scotland. She died on 4 Apr 1576 in Edinburgh Scotland. George 42nd Earl SINCLAIR and Elizabeth GRAHAM had the following children:

+6 i. 2nd h John SINCLAIR (born in 1543).
    +7 ii. William of Mey SINCLAIR.

THIRD GENERATION

4. William SINCLAIR was born about 1517 in Dunfermline Fifeshire Scotland.

Agatha GROAT was born about 1520 in Scotland.

5. 2nd w Christian SINCLAIR was born about 1537 of Dun.

She was married to Iye Dhu 12th Chief MACKAY (son of Donald of Farr 11th Chief MACKAY and Helen SINCLAIR) in 1557 in Sutherland Scotland. Iye Dhu 12th Chief MACKAY was born in 1515 in Farr Strathnaver Scotland. He died in 1572 in Sutherland Scotland. 2nd w Christian SINCLAIR and Iye Dhu 12th Chief MACKAY had the following children:

8 i. Sir Donald MACKAY.
    +9 ii. 2nd h Huistean 13th Chief MACKAY (born in 1561).
    10 iii. William MACKAY 12TH CHIEF.

6. 2nd h John SINCLAIR was born in 1543 in Girnigo Castle Caithness. He in 1576 in Interred Sinclair Aisle Wick Churchyard. He died in Sep 1576 in Knockinnon Castle Caithness.

He was married to Lady Jane (Janet, Jean) HEPBURN (daughter of 2nd h Patrick HEPBURN and Agnes SINCLAIR) in Jan 1566 in Hailles Scotland. Lady Jane (Janet, Jean) HEPBURN was born in 1540 in Bothwell Mid-Lothian Scotland. She died in 1575 in Caithness Scotland. 2nd h John SINCLAIR and Lady Jane (Janet, Jean) HEPBURN had the following children:

+11 i. James 1st Lord of Murkle SINCLAIR (born between 1572 and 1580).
    12 ii. George SINCLAIR.
    13 iii. Marie SINCLAIR.

7. William of Mey SINCLAIR.

He was married to Margaret MOWAT (daughter of James of Balquholly MOWAT) Mistress. Margaret MOWAT was born in Balquholly. William of Mey SINCLAIR and Margaret MOWAT had the following children:

+14 i. John of Ulbster SINCLAIR.

FOURTH GENERATION

9. 2nd h Huistean 13th Chief MACKAY was born in 1561 in Farr Sutherland Scotland. He died on 11 Sep 1614 in Tongue Strathnaver Scotland.

He was married to 2nd w Lady Jane GORDON (daughter of 2nd h Alexander 12th Earl Sutherland GORDON and 2nd w Lady Jean (Jane) GORDON) in Dec 1589 in Sutherland Scotland. 2nd w Lady Jane GORDON was born on 1 Nov 1574 in Dunrobin Sutherland. She died on 20 Feb 1615 in Strathnaver Scotland. 2nd h Huistean 13th Chief MACKAY and 2nd w Lady Jane GORDON had the following children:

+15 i. John of Dirlot MACKAY (born in 1592).
    16 ii. Sir Donald MACKAY was born in 1591 in Sutherland Scotland. He died in 1649.
    17 iii. Annas MACKAY was born in Strathnaver Scotland.
    18 iv. Mary MACKAY was born in Strathnaver Scotland.

11. James 1st Lord of Murkle SINCLAIR was born between 1572 and 1580 in Murkle Caithness Scotland. He died in 1633.

He was married to Lady Elizabeth STEWART (daughter of 1st h Robert STEWART and Lady Jean (Janet) KENNEDY) on 26 Oct 1604 in Scotland. Lady Elizabeth STEWART was born about 1575 in Orkney Islands Scotland. James 1st Lord of Murkle SINCLAIR and Lady Elizabeth STEWART had the following children:

+19 i. 1st w Agnes (Anna) SINCLAIR (born about 1598).
    +20 ii. John SINCLAIR (born about 1613).

14. John of Ulbster SINCLAIR died > 1607.

John of Ulbster SINCLAIR and 2nd w Katherine STEWART had the following children:

+21 i. John of Tannach SINCLAIR.

FIFTH GENERATION

15. John of Dirlot MACKAY was born in 1592 in Dirlot Castle Sutherland Scotland. He died in 1645.

Barbara MACKAY was born in Strathnaver Scotland.

He was married to 1st w Agnes (Anna) SINCLAIR (daughter of James 1st Lord of Murkle SINCLAIR and Lady Elizabeth STEWART) in 1618. 1st w Agnes (Anna) SINCLAIR was born about 1598 in Scotland. John of Dirlot MACKAY and 1st w Agnes (Anna) SINCLAIR had the following children:

+22 i. James of Kirtomy MACKAY (born about 1640).
    23 ii. Hugh MACKAY.
    24 iii. John MACKAY was born > 1620.
    25 iv. Elizabeth MACKAY was born > 1620.
    26 v. Jane MACKAY was born > 1620 in Sutherland Scotland.

19. 1st w Agnes (Anna) SINCLAIR was born about 1598 in Scotland.

She was married to John of Dirlot MACKAY (son of 2nd h Huistean 13th Chief MACKAY and 2nd w Lady Jane GORDON) in 1618. John of Dirlot MACKAY was born in 1592 in Dirlot Castle Sutherland Scotland. He died in 1645. 1st w Agnes (Anna) SINCLAIR and John of Dirlot MACKAY had the following children:

+22 i. James of Kirtomy MACKAY (born about 1640).
    23 ii. Hugh MACKAY.
    24 iii. John MACKAY (born > 1620).
    25 iv. Elizabeth MACKAY (born > 1620).
    26 v. Jane MACKAY (born > 1620).

20. John SINCLAIR was born about 1613 of Assery/Brawl.

John SINCLAIR had the following children:

+27 i. James John SINCLAIR (born about 1642).

21. John of Tannach SINCLAIR.

John of Tannach SINCLAIR and Margaret GOLDMAN had the following children:

+28 i. John of Lybster SINCLAIR (born Brim).

SIXTH GENERATION

22. James of Kirtomy MACKAY was born about 1640 in Dilred Caithness Scotland. He died in 1692 in Kirtomy Sutherland Scotland.

Jane FRASER (daughter of Hon. Sir James FRASER and Beatrice WEMYSS) was born in Brae Sutherland. James of Kirtomy MACKAY and Jane FRASER had the following children:

+29 i. John MACKAY.
    30 ii. James of Borgy MACKAY.
    +31 iii. Magdaline MACKAY.
    32 iv. Madeline MACKAY.

27. James John SINCLAIR was born about 1642 in Lybster. He died in Brims Caithness.

Beatrix SINCLAIR was born of Thura.

28. John of Lybster SINCLAIR was born Brim. He died in Ulbster.

Jean MONRO was born in Newmore Scotland. John of Lybster SINCLAIR and Jean MONRO had the following children:

+33 i. Elizabeth SINCLAIR (born about 1662).

Notices of errors or omisisons are welcome!

Prepared by:
    Cliff Huber
    R R 1
    Kakabeka Falls ON CA

Robert the Bruce appointed one, William sinclair as the Grand master of Crafts and Guilds inn Scotland. thisa remained a hereditary position for the Sinclairs until another William Sinclair was elected the firs grand Master of the Scottish Grand Lofge of Speculative Masons in 1736.
    Prince henry Sinclair was known as the Holy Sinclair and inspired a expidition to the new world in 1398.
    His Admiral, Antonio Zeno, discovered america 94 years before Columbus.
    Sinclair was installed as the Jarl of Orkney before he was 35 yrs old and constructed Kirkwall Castle for his head quarters.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

"When everything comes your way - you're in the wrong lane!"

I like that!!!

Thanks for the info on the Sinclairs. Would you like further pedigree data on those Sinclairs before 1500? .... to the early Orkney gang....and back to France.....

For example, the parents of my 1st Henry St. Clair b 1275 were: William of Roslin and Matilda of Orkney.

the best

this is what I've got.
    Descendants of William SINCLAIR

Generation No. 1

1. WILLIAM1 SINCLAIR was born Abt. 1690 in ? Stroma, Canisbay, Sct. He married MARY SINCLAIR June 18, 1714 in Stroma, Canisbay,Caithness, Sct (Source: Parish Register). She was born Abt. 1694 in ? Stroma, Canisbay, Sct.

Notes for WILLIAM SINCLAIR:
    SINCLAIR as a surname pronounced Sinkler and can be a person who soaked flax ready for working with & in Argyll it also means a tinker.
    STROMA - The SINCLAIRS soon after their accession to the Earldom of Caithness obtained Royal Grant the property of the Island of Stroma. In 1574 George SINCLAIR of Mey was served heir entail to his brother William of various lands, inter alia STROMA.

William Sinclair appears as a witness in 1720 for entries in the Old Parochial Register for Canisbay, up till this date from the commencement of the Register entries are not regularly kept with gaps in most families records of births & marriages. From 15 March 1722 till 27 September 1747 there are no entries at all, whether they have not survived or were never kept is not recorded.
    Prior to this date in 1715 a John Sinclair on Stroma was a witness also & in 1710 Henerie Sinclair of Stroma also one & an Andrew Sinclair christening children.

At the christening of William & Mary's daughter Katharine,John Bowar & William Lyal of Stroma were the Witness but John when christened was before the whole congregation.

William was also a witness with Walter Rosie the younger at the marriage of James Bowar to Margaret Simpson.

After the end of 1747 when events once again were recorded, the Sinclair name reappears as does the Rosie one.

Marriage Notes for WILLIAM SINCLAIR and MARY SINCLAIR:
    Marriage Contract Canisbay Parish: 21st, William Sinclair in Stroma was matrimonyalie contracted with Mary Sinclair yr[there] and both parties gave up their names to be proclaimed engaging there selves to solemnize their said marriage with in the space of fortie days under pain of ten pounds Scots to be paid by ye partie breaker, married 18 June 1714.

More About WILLIAM SINCLAIR and MARY SINCLAIR:
    Marriage: June 18, 1714, Stroma, Canisbay,Caithness, Sct (Source: Parish Register)

Children of WILLIAM SINCLAIR and MARY SINCLAIR are:
    i. KATHERINE2 SINCLAIR, b. February 15, 1718/19, Stroma, Canisbay, Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register).
    2. ii. JOHN SINCLAIR, b. October 15, 1721, Stroma, Canisbay,Caithness, Sct.

Generation No. 2

2. JOHN2 SINCLAIR (WILLIAM1) was born October 15, 1721 in Stroma, Canisbay,Caithness, Sct (Source: Parish Register). He married ELIZABETH[BETSY/BEATRIX] ROSIE February 17, 1748/49 in Stroma, Canisbay, Sct (Source: Parish Register), daughter of ALEXANDER ROSIE and KATHARINE. She was born Abt. 1728 in Stroma, Canisbay,Caithness, Sct (Source: Parish Register).

Notes for JOHN SINCLAIR:
    Stroma, a book mentions smuggling. Stroma, being an island, gave distillers of illicit whiskey an advantage- there was ample time to conceal any evidence when the excise men were seen to be approaching. However, in May 1816 revenue officials are said to have destroyed 40 bushels od malt and two stills. A cave called the 'malt barn', hidden in the gloup, could only be approached at low tide and was therefore an ideal site for an illegal still. On May 1837, an officer named Terence McMahon outwitted the islanders by crossing over in dense fog and seized 150 bushels of malt and found two stills in full operation. Peter Green and his wife were arrested and imprisoned in Wick.
    1841- spirits were found on the Skerries in November and four Stroma pilots were suspected - Andrew, William & John Sinclair & Peter Green. They were summonsed to Burwick but their ship was overwhelmed and the men lost their lives. William McCulloch, the schoolmaster, is said to have sold whiskey from his house. There was one Stroma crew, when chased by excise men, evaded them by hiding in a small geo when they rounded Cantick Head on Hoy. They then continued to sail to St Margarets Hope where they delivered their 'mercies'.

From Caithness Testamentary Registers fpr John Sinclair late Merchant of Thurso a widow Sinclair of Stroma owed in possible debts 17/- & again in the register Alexander Coghill late Merchant of Castletown had a Widow Sinclair owing another 17/-. Whether she was a part of this family we will never know.

John Sinclair & Betsy Rosie's descendants continue to live on in Stroma for well over a hundred years and in the 1881 Census returns for the island the relatives are many, living also in close proximity to each other.

James Jolly Sinclair the 45yr old pilot had next door a cousin Nicol Smith 61yr old fisherman, a house away was another cousin Williamina Sinclair her husband James Simpson and their extended family. Four houses past another Smith, Donald the boatbuilder, then his son Donald jnr also a boatbuilder & nearby three more Sinclair families and on it goes.

Notes for ELIZABETH[BETSY/BEATRIX] ROSIE:
    Following the Scottish naming laws as Betsy's descendents do, rigorously down many generations her parents should have been Alexander Rosie and Catherine but as there is a twenty year gap when the registers were either neither filled out or have been lost a christening or birth entry is not possible.

The Parish Register contains other family names before & after the missing period being in Stroma who were more than probably related to John Sinclair & his wife Betsy Rosie but unless someone comes up with something like a Family Bible we will never be able to prove a relationship.

Marriage Notes for JOHN SINCLAIR and ELIZABETH[BETSY/BEATRIX] ROSIE:
    Marriage Contracted 17 January 1749

More About JOHN SINCLAIR and ELIZABETH[BETSY/BEATRIX] ROSIE:
    Marriage: February 17, 1748/49, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct (Source: Parish Register)

Children of JOHN SINCLAIR and ELIZABETH[BETSY/BEATRIX] ROSIE are:
    3. i. CATHERINE3 SINCLAIR, b. May 20, 1750, Stroma, Canisbay, Caithness,Sct.
    4. ii. WILLIAM SINCLAIR, b. May 06, 1753, Stroma, Canisbay, Caithness,Sct.
    5. iii. ISABEL[BELL] SINCLAIR, b. Abt. 1757, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland.
    6. iv. MARY SINCLAIR, b. April 28, 1760, Stroma, Canisbay,Caithness, Sct; d. July 11, 1843, Burray, South Ronaldsay,Orkney.
    v. ALEXANDER SINCLAIR, b. July 19, 1763, Stroma, Canisbay,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register); d. possibly died young.

More About ALEXANDER SINCLAIR:
    Christened: August 01, 1763, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

7. vi. WALTER SINCLAIR, b. June 29, 1765, Stroma, Canisbay,Caithness, Sct; d. January 29, 1842, Nether Scapa, Orkney, Sct.
    8. vii. JOHN SINCLAIR, b. August 29, 1768, Stroma, Canisbay, Caithness,Sct.

Generation No. 3

3. CATHERINE3 SINCLAIR (JOHN2, WILLIAM1) was born May 20, 1750 in Stroma, Canisbay, Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register). She married HUGH ROSIE February 11, 1772 in Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register), son of MALCOLM ROSIE and ELSPET.

Notes for CATHERINE SINCLAIR:
    Catharine & her husband Hugh or for that matter none of their children except for Walter appear after the christenings of their children on Stroma and even a couple of families with similar names on the mainland cannot be confirmed as this family. Something else that was noticed during the times I read the Old Parish Register, some Rosie families became Ross to the various ministers recording events of those particular folks, even Walters family were eventually Ross and were known over fifty years later on Orkney by Ross.

Marriage Notes for CATHERINE SINCLAIR and HUGH ROSIE:
    Marriage Contract 22 January 1772 both of Stroma.

More About HUGH ROSIE and CATHERINE SINCLAIR:
    Marriage: February 11, 1772, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register)

Children of CATHERINE SINCLAIR and HUGH ROSIE are:
    i. MALCOLM4 ROSIE, b. March 11, 1773, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register).

More About MALCOLM ROSIE:
    4. WILLIAM3 SINCLAIR (JOHN2, WILLIAM1) was born May 06, 1753 in Stroma, Canisbay, Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register). He married (1) MARION SMITH February 11, 1777 in Canisbay Parish,Caithness (Source: OPR.). She died Bef. 1790 in Stroma,Caithness,Scotland. He married (2) ELSPET KENNEDY June 15, 1790 in Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register), daughter of ALEXANDER KENNEDY and MARGARET GRAY. She was born Abt. 1766 in Stroma,Canisbay,Scotland.

More About WILLIAM SINCLAIR and MARION SMITH:
    Marriage: February 11, 1777, Canisbay Parish,Caithness (Source: OPR.)

More About ELSPET KENNEDY:
    Christened: August 30, 1766, Canisbay,Caithness,Scotland (Source: Parish Register.)

More About WILLIAM SINCLAIR and ELSPET KENNEDY:
    Marriage: June 15, 1790, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register)

Children of WILLIAM SINCLAIR and MARION SMITH are:
    i. JOHN4 SINCLAIR, b. Abt. 1779, Stroma,Caithness,Scotland.

More About JOHN SINCLAIR:
    Christened: December 1779, Canisbay,Caithness,Scotland (Source: OPR.)

ii. GEORGE SINCLAIR, b. November 22, 1780, Stroma,Caithness,Scotland (Source: OPR.).

More About GEORGE SINCLAIR:
    Christened: November 29, 1780, Canisbay,Caithness,Scotland (Source: OPR.)

11. iii. ELIZABETH SINCLAIR, b. Abt. 1783, Stroma,Caithness,Scotland.
    12. iv. ESTHER SINCLAIR, b. Abt. 1785, Stroma,Caithness,Scotland.

Children of WILLIAM SINCLAIR and ELSPET KENNEDY are:
    13. v. WILLIAM4 SINCLAIR, b. December 22, 1790, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland; d. November 1841, drowned in Pentland Firth,Scotland, attending summons to court..
    vi. ALEXANDER SINCLAIR, b. November 06, 1792, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register).

Christened: November 09, 1792, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

vii. MARGARET SINCLAIR, b. January 23, 1795, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register).

More About MARGARET SINCLAIR:
    Christened: January 28, 1795, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

14. viii. JAMES SINCLAIR, b. October 13, 1797, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland; d. March 27, 1877, Burray,Sth Ronaldsay,Orkney.
    15. ix. PETER SINCLAIR, b. June 08, 1800, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland; d. Bef. 1851, Canisbay,Caithness,Scotland.
    16. x. ANDREW SINCLAIR, b. May 11, 1803, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland; d. December 23, 1882, Stroma,Canisbay,Scotland.
    xi. JOHN SINCLAIR, b. February 08, 1805, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register).

Christened: February 16, 1805, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

5. ISABEL[BELL]3 SINCLAIR (JOHN2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1757 in Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Jemima Dreaver). She married GEORGE SMITH December 21, 1784 in Canisbay,Caithness,Scotland (Source: Parish Register), son of GEORGE SMITH and CHARLOTTE BRUCE. He was born Abt. 1760 in Canisbay,Caithness,Scotland.

More About GEORGE SMITH:
    Christened: January 13, 1760, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

More About GEORGE SMITH and ISABEL[BELL] SINCLAIR:
    Marriage: December 21, 1784, Canisbay,Caithness,Scotland (Source: Parish Register)

Children of ISABEL[BELL] SINCLAIR and GEORGE SMITH are:
    i. BETTRICE4 SMITH, b. Abt. 1785, Canisbay,Caithness,Scotland.

6. MARY3 SINCLAIR (JOHN2, WILLIAM1) was born April 28, 1760 in Stroma, Canisbay,Caithness, Sct (Source: Parish Register), and died July 11, 1843 in Burray, South Ronaldsay,Orkney (Source: Marion McLeod.). She married JOHN LAIRD February 03, 1784 in Stroma, Canisbay, Scotland (Source: Parish Register), son of ANDREW LAIRD and JANE STEVEN. He was born Abt. 1754 in Stroma, Canisbay, Sct (Source: 1821 Census.), and died June 04, 1838 in Burray,South Ronaldsay,Orkney (Source: Marion McLeod.).

Notes for MARY SINCLAIR:
    Wt: To christening - David McAlpine & William Sinclair.

1841 Census, Burray,Sth Ronaldsay,Orkney.
    Mary Laird 80yrs, Independant not born County

Mary is with her daughter Betsy Kennedy & family.

More About MARY SINCLAIR:
    Christened: May 04, 1760, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

Notes for JOHN LAIRD:
    John is reputed to have brought the Baptist faith to the Orkneys.

1821 Census,Wan Banks,Burray,South Ronaldsay,Orkney.
    Son Andrew one side & dau Betty Kennedy the other.
    John Laird 66yrs
    Mary Sinclair 61yrs
    Gilbert Laird 24yrs
    James Laird 20yrs
    Eric Laird 15yrs
    Margaret Dowal 24yrs

Burray Churchyard Monumental Inscription
    Erected by Mary Sinclair in memory of her husband John Laird died 4 June 1838 aged 84. Also Mary Laird died 11 July 1843 aged 83.

More About JOHN LAIRD:

More About JOHN LAIRD and MARY SINCLAIR:
    Marriage: February 03, 1784, Stroma, Canisbay, Scotland (Source: Parish Register)

Children of MARY SINCLAIR and JOHN LAIRD are:
    19. i. ANDREW4 LAIRD, b. December 09, 1784, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct; d. November 02, 1871, Burray,South Ronaldsay,Orkney.
    20. ii. JOHN LAIRD, b. Abt. 1786, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct; d. Bef. 1877.
    21. iii. WILLIAM LAIRD, b. Abt. 1790, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct.
    22. iv. ELIZABETH LAIRD, b. Abt. 1792, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct.
    23. v. JEAN LAIRD, b. Abt. 1794, Canisbay,Caithness,Sct; d. December 11, 1858, Burray,Sth Ronaldsay,Orkney.
    24. vi. GILBERT LAIRD, b. Abt. 1797, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct; d. May 16, 1880, St Margarets, Burray,Orkney.
    25. vii. JAMES LAIRD, b. Abt. 1801, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct; d. October 06, 1838, Burray,South Ronaldsay,Orkney.
    26. viii. ERIC LAIRD, b. Abt. 1806, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct; d. November 08, 1832.

7. WALTER3 SINCLAIR (JOHN2, WILLIAM1) was born June 29, 1765 in Stroma, Canisbay,Caithness, Sct (Source: Parish Register), and died January 29, 1842 in Nether Scapa, Orkney, Sct (Source: MI). He married (1) HELEN DUNNETT Abt. 1792 in Caithness,Scotland, daughter of DAVID DUNNETT and JANET SUTHERLAND. She was born in Sct, and died Aft. April 1799 in Stroma, Canisbay, Caithness,Sct. He married (2) MARGARET[PEGGY] SUTHERLAND December 05, 1800 in Canisbay Parish, Sct, daughter of CAPT SUTHERLAND and ANN DUNETT. She was born Abt. 1781 in Barogil Castle,Mey,Canisbay, Cai, Sct, and died November 24, 1871 in Bow of Rapness,Westray, Orkney, Sct.

Notes for WALTER SINCLAIR:
    Walter, born on Stroma and probably a fisherman and small holding farmer like most there, married first Helen Dunnet, who was also possibly born there or on mainland Caithness as Dunnets show up in the Parish Registers. Helen and Walter had two sons and two daughters, not all these events were recorded in the registers, including this marriage.

Being a widower with small children, he would of necessity need to find someone to live in and care for them and himself, so that he could continue to work, a new wife it would have to be as the church frowned on any other liason.
    Possibly there was little choice in the matter, the urgency of the need for a 'mother' would be the priority, age seems to have had nothing to do with this decision, so Margaret Sutherland, from the mainland, an illegitemate daughter of a 'landed gentleman', who may have had eyes for her 'noble cousin' was contracted to marry Walter.

Margaret and Walters first child, a son, was also born on Stroma in 1802, but before mid 1805 the family had moved north to the Orkney, the island of Flotta, where two more children were born. Maybe Margarets father, who was a Factor, gave them one on Flotta where they remained until prior to1810 when they moved to the Nether Scapa holding in the St Ola area.

Walter & his second wife Margaret farmed this area of 25 acres of flat, fertile crown land 'Nether Scapa', for many years, Walter indeed died there in 1842 amd Margaret stayed on in the old two storied house and byre fronting the road beach and from the a dyke at the rear of the house can looking north see the spire of St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall.

During Walters lifetime a census called in 1841, a year prior to his death, records the families details, showing that night in the house were he and Margaret, a son and daughter from his first marriage, and three of his children to Margaret. Strangely, a seven year old boy never identified and an eleven month old boy named Walter, he we identify now as grandson to Walter and son the James Sinclair in the house that night.

1841 Census for Scapa, Nether Scapa.
    Walter Sinclair 75yrs farmer not born County
    Margaret Sinclair 53yrs not born County
    Alexander Sinclair 40yrs born County [was born Stroma Caithness]
    Janet Sinclair 40yrs born County.[as John above, she & John are from 1st mar.]
    William Sinclair 25yrs born County
    Mary Sinclair 25yrs born County
    James Sinclair 20yrs born County
    John Sinclair 7yrs born County
    Walter Sinclair 11mths born County

Walter is buried in St Magnus Cathedral Kirkyard, Kirkwall,Orkney.

Sacred to Walter Sinclair, farmer Nether Scapa who died 29 January 1842 aged 77yrs erected by his widow Margaret S Sinclair.

To the memory of a beloved mother Margaret Sutherland Sinclair who died 24 Nov 1871 aged 90yrs.

On right side of the above tombstone -The memory of Elizabeth Sinclair who died August 1830 aged 16yrs and

Mary Smith who died 11 March 1882 aged 70yrs wife of William Sinclair Ships Master.

The grave is situated just inside the Palace Road gates of Churchyard on the lefthand side, plot is aprox. ten by ten foot with an eighteen inch high stone wall around it.

Orkney Herald, 16 Feb. 1910.
    Article written by Rev.Alexander Goodfellow, Minister of the United Free Church Congregation, St Mary's,Sth Ronaldsay,Orkney.
    "I come now to Nether Scapa, for many years occupied by the Sinclair family down to about 60yrs ago. Walter Sinclair came from Stroma. Nether Scapa was Crown Land, as were also the lands of Cantit and Over Scapa. His wife Margaret Sutherland was a daughter of Captain Sutherland of the Bu' of Burray. Walter died in 1842 aged 77yrs. His wife died in 1871 aged 90yrs. They had a large family of sons and daughters. Of James, the eldest son I will have more to say later on. Captain William Sinclair late of Scapa Pier, was another son. There was also Walter who went to sea. Sutherland, a doctor of medicine and Eric a Minister.

The old house of Braehead, however stood about 4 chains east of Newbigging, and was tenanted 50 or 60yrs ago by another James Sinclair, whose wife was a daughter of Walter Sinclair of Nether Scapa.".

[There are mistakes in the children to Walter & Margaret in this article].

More About WALTER SINCLAIR:
    Burial: February 1842, St Magnus Churchyard,Kirkwall, Orkney (Source: MI)
    Christened: July 10, 1765, Stroma,Canisbay Parish,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

More About WALTER SINCLAIR and HELEN DUNNETT:
    Marriage: Abt. 1792, Caithness,Scotland

Notes for MARGARET[PEGGY] SUTHERLAND:
    Kirk Session Minutes for the Parish of Canisbay in the County of Caithness dated 22 October 1780.
    "Compared Ann Dunnet in East Mey delated with child, upon interrogation she acknowledged she was with child, and after very serious exhortation gave as the father Capt James Sutherland of Duffus, Tacksman of Mey". She was exhorted to repentance and appointed to satisfy the discipline of the church.
    This would have meant sitting in the repentance chair in front of the congregation at least once.

Family stories tell of Margaret being in love with her cousin, one of the sons of Sir James Sinclair, the 12th Earl of Caithness but his mother would have none of this and Margaret was packed off to Stroma to marry the recently widowed Walter Sinclair. Walter needed a wife to mother his children and this arrangement seemed to have been made for Margaret to a many about 16yrs her senior, she must have mentioned this to her family as it has come down to us through her eldest daughter Ann.

From the will of her father Captain James Sutheland, Lord Duffus[sic]... To Mararet or Peggy Sutherland or Sinclair the wife of Walter Sinclair, farmer and boatman, residing at Lower Scapa near Kirkwall in the County of Orkney in Scotland the sum of one hundred pounds sterling.

It has been suggested that possibly old Capt James had helped Margaret & her family get off Stroma. Flotta, where they moved to from Stroma is said to have been owned by James at the time this family moved there.

Walter is now deceased and we read on the census of 1851 that she is still living at Nether Scapa, farming 25acres and employing two labourers and a woman and boy to assist with the farm. Her two step children are with her, nearer to her in age, her son James who is now married to the mother of his children and their growing family, plus four farm servants.

1851 Census,St Ola,Nether Scapa.
    Margaret Sinclair head wid 63yrs farmer 25acres employing 2 labourers,woman & boy born Canisbay.
    Alexander Sinclair stepson unm 55yrs painter born Canisbay
    Janet Sinclair stepdau unm 57yrs born Canisbay
    James Sinclair son mar 34yrs farmers son employed on farm born St Ola
    Margaret Sinclair d-i-l mar 33yrs born St Ola
    Jemima Sinclair g/dau 12yrs born St Ola
    Walter Sinclair g/son 7yrs born St Ola
    Margaret Sinclair g/dau 4yrs born St Ola
    Jane Sinclair g/dau 2yrs born St OLa
    Mary & Esther twins g/dau 3mths born St Ola.
    John Muir serv unm 29yrs farm servant b Kirkwall
    Malcolm Scott sern 19yrs farm servant b Gramsay
    Catharine Gun serv 17yrs farm servant b Canisbay
    William Petrie serv 16yrs farm servant born Kirkwall.

Margaret, together with her son James, his wife and children, including probably her stepchildren moved up to the island of Westray, where she remained until her death in 1871.

Death Certificate:
    24 November 1871, Bow of Rapness,Westray District,Co,Orkney.No.35/29.
    Margaret Sinclair aged 90yrs of Infirmatius of Old Age, widow of Walter Sinclair, farmer. Daughter of James Sutherland,Landed Proprietor,dcd,and Ann Dunnet dcd. Informant, James Sinclair,son.

Margaret's body was carried from the Bow of Rapness by horse to Pierowell and then by sailing ship to Kirkwall where she was buried with her husband, daughter & daughter in law.

More About MARGARET[PEGGY] SUTHERLAND:
    Burial: November 1871, St Magnus Churchyard,Kirkwall, Orkney (Source: MI)
    Cause of Death: Infirmatus of old age (Source: Death Cert.)

Marriage Notes for WALTER SINCLAIR and MARGARET[PEGGY] SUTHERLAND:
    Canisbay Parish Marriages: Sinclair & Sutherland.
    1800, December 5 - Walter Sinclair and Margaret Sutherland in this parish were contracted for marriage.

More About WALTER SINCLAIR and MARGARET[PEGGY] SUTHERLAND:
    Marriage: December 05, 1800, Canisbay Parish, Sct

Children of WALTER SINCLAIR and HELEN DUNNETT are:
    27. i. JOHN4 SINCLAIR, b. March 23, 1793, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct; d. May 20, 1862, Calton Hill,Edinburgh,Scotland.
    ii. ALEXANDER SINCLAIR, b. Abt. 1796, Stroma, Canisbay,Caithness, Sct; d. Bef. 1881, Westray.

Notes for ALEXANDER SINCLAIR:
    Alexander did not marry and lived with his stepmother, he was a painter.

1861 Census, Westray
    Bull.
    Alexander Sinclair head unm 63yrs painter born Canisbay
    Janet Sinclair sister unm 59yrs formerly housekeeper born Canisbay

These two were living in a cottage on the property held my their half brother James.

Christened: October 1796, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

iii. JANET SINCLAIR, b. Abt. 1798, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct; d. March 16, 1865, Westray,Orkney,Scotland, unmarried (Source: Colin Sinclair.).

Notes for JANET SINCLAIR:
    Margaret did not marry and appears to have spent her life living with her stepmother.

More About JANET SINCLAIR:
    Burial: March 1865, Pierowell Burial Ground,Westray,Orkney (Source: Colin Sinclair.)
    Christened: 1798, Stroma,Canisbay Parish,Sct

iv. HELEN SINCLAIR, b. April 15, 1799, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct; d. Aft. September 1799, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct.

More About HELEN SINCLAIR:
    Christened: April 24, 1799, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

Children of WALTER SINCLAIR and MARGARET[PEGGY] SUTHERLAND are:
    28. v. SUTHERLAND[REV]4 SINCLAIR, b. November 11, 1802, Stroma, Canisbay, Sct; d. June 14, 1874, 2 Finnart St,Greenock,Renfrew,Sct,aged 72yrs.
    29. vi. ERICK SINCLAIR, b. May 25, 1805, Flotta, Oki, Sct; d. 1868, Edinburgh,Scotland.
    30. vii. ANN DUNNET SINCLAIR, b. January 18, 1807, Flotta, Orkney; d. December 04, 1867, Pleasant Valley,Taieri Ferry,Otago,New Zealand.
    viii. WALTER SINCLAIR, b. Abt. 1810, Nether Scapa,St Ola,Orkney.

Christened: June 10, 1810, Kirkwall & St Ola Parish,Orkney (Source: Parish Register)

31. ix. WILLIAM SINCLAIR, b. February 1813, Nether Scapa,St Ola,Orkney; d. 1895, Sydney,NSW,Australia.
    x. ELIZABETH SINCLAIR, b. Abt. 1814, Nether Scapa,St Ola,Orkney; d. August 06, 1830, Nether Scapa,St Ola,Orkney (Source: Family Bible).

More About ELIZABETH SINCLAIR:
    Burial: August 1830, St Magnus Churchyard,Kirkwall (Source: MI)
    Christened: December 25, 1814, Kirkwall & St Ola Parish,Orkney (Source: Parish Register)

32. xi. JAMES SUTHERLAND SINCLAIR, b. August 21, 1816, Nether Scapa,St Ola,Orkney,Scotland; d. November 12, 1902, Cunningar, NSW, Aus.
    33. xii. MARY BRUCE SINCLAIR, b. Abt. 1818, Nether Scapa,St Ola,Orkney; d. February 19, 1892, Dunoon,Argyll,Scotland.
    xiii. ROBERT PATERSON SINCLAIR, b. September 24, 1820, Nether Scapa,St Ola,Orkney (Source: Parish Register.).

Notes for ROBERT PATERSON SINCLAIR:
    Named for the Seccession Church Minister who probably christened him.

More About ROBERT PATERSON SINCLAIR:
    Christened: December 09, 1820, Kirkwall & St Ola Parish,Orkney (Source: Parish Register)

34. xiv. ESTHER SUTHERLAND SINCLAIR, b. October 31, 1823, Nether Scapa,St Ola,Orkney; d. Bef. 1891, ?.
    xv. TWIN BABIES SINCLAIR, b. Abt. 1824, Nether Scapa,St Ola,Orkney; d. Abt. 1824, Nether Scapa,St Ola,Orkney.

8. JOHN3 SINCLAIR (JOHN2, WILLIAM1) was born August 29, 1768 in Stroma, Canisbay, Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register). He married CHRISTIAN LAIRD December 17, 1789 in Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register), daughter of ANDREW LAIRD and JANE STEVEN. She was born Abt. 1768 in Stroma, Canisbay, Sct.

Christened: September 03, 1768, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

Notes for CHRISTIAN LAIRD:
    No baptism recorded but her parents were probably Andrew Laird & Jane Steven.

More About JOHN SINCLAIR and CHRISTIAN LAIRD:
    Marriage: December 17, 1789, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register)

Children of JOHN SINCLAIR and CHRISTIAN LAIRD are:
    i. JOHN4 SINCLAIR, b. September 04, 1790, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register); d. Bef. 1796, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland.

Christened: September 12, 1790, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

35. ii. ANDREW SINCLAIR, b. November 23, 1791, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland; d. November 1841, Drowned going to court..
    36. iii. JEAN/JANE SINCLAIR, b. September 04, 1793, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland; d. June 16, 1876, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland.
    37. iv. JOHN SINCLAIR, b. September 04, 1796, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland; d. April 16, 1862, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland.
    38. v. WILLIAM SINCLAIR, b. March 12, 1798, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland.
    vi. JAMES SINCLAIR, b. April 29, 1800, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register).

More About JAMES SINCLAIR:
    Christened: April 30, 1800, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

39. vii. ELIZABETH SINCLAIR, b. April 28, 1802, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland.
    viii. WALTER SINCLAIR, b. August 05, 1806, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register).

Christened: August 24, 1806, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)

ix. ALEXANDER SINCLAIR, b. May 02, 1809, Stroma,Caithness, Scotland (Source: Parish Register).

Christened: May 21, 1809, Canisbay Parish,Caithness,Sct (Source: Parish Register)
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.