Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Foundlings.

Default Foundlings.

I wonder if any one can help. Was there a foundling hospital in Caithness? I realise that abandoned babies can be left anywhere but I recently found on a 1861 census return an entry for a pauper foundling --Thurso Clairden Highmuir This may not be the correct spelling of the place names but I'm copying it from a transcript not the actual document. The child was about 8 years old , female and born about 1853. I just wondered f there was an actual place for these poor wee souls that mums could leave them instead of on the street. Did the babies go to the poorhouse if no one would take them in? Any information please !! Thanks Sylvia.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Thurso/

No foundling hospital as such but see the above link. I remember seeing a census entry - I think it was in Olrig - where a child was described as having been found abandoned on the hill !

Rosemary

Default Foundling taken in

This is the entry in the Olrig OPR you are referring to: -

Williamina Allan Durran - found exposed, apparently a few hours after birth, on Durran Hill, on Thursday August 12th 1852, was baptised September 5th 1853 by the Reverend Walter Ross Taylor, Thurso

She was taken in by the family of John Allan & Isabella Dunbar Manson, who lived at Haimer, Thurso. In 1861 census she is described as Foundling; in 1871 as Adopted Daughter and 1881 as Daughter. She had an illegitimate child, James Manson Durran in 1873 in Dunbeath, Latheron.

She married Daniel Brims in 25 September 1885 in Thurso and they had two children - John Brims, in 1886 and Isabella Brims in 1888.

Williamina died 13 August 1893 at Shore Street, Thurso, aged 41.