Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Piano grand exit

Default Piano grand exit

Have noticed that lots of folk are trying to give away pianos. Mine is in a garage, suffering from woodworm. How about a grand Viking funeral for some instruments, if they can't find good homes?
    Bagpuss

Build a trebuchet and fling it. Set light to it just before launch. Post video here for all to see!
    I really hate being bipolar. It's awesome!!!

I remember the demise of many a good piano when they started to become unpopular. Most of the village fates would have a piano smashing completion with teams of four that would have to smash up a piano and throw it through a small tyre hanging from a rope.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I remember the demise of many a good piano when they started to become unpopular. Most of the village fates would have a piano smashing completion with teams of four that would have to smash up a piano and throw it through a small tyre hanging from a rope.
    Sounds like a great Gala Week attraction, teams from local sports clubs competing, what a "smashing" idea.

Now there's weird Kevin....was it a custom peculiar to the area you grew up in?

Default Piano Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Now there's weird Kevin....was it a custom peculiar to the area you grew up in?
    I've no idea whether or not if it was a peculiar custom to South Wales, I just remember it as a part of competition at the local fete. I suppose in the sixties and seventy's pianos were considered an old fashion form of entertainment and was replaced in the household by the more modern idea of a TV and a good way of disposing of them was to break them up as a part of a competition. I do remember it being one of the main events and all the local rugby teams would take part.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

No , it happened in Northamptonshire too

You make me weep and now I feel very sad!

Piano is a fabulous instrument to master - it not only has enormous musical value but it is fabulous for increasing dexterity. Electric keyboards and Clavichords/Clavinovas may be taking over in this technological age but they are a poor relation for the rich resonance of a real piano.

I for one am very proud of my two pianos and I would thank anyone who has ideas of smashing them to steer clear of this address!
    "Music is Forever" Paul Simon
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels" Thomas Carlyle
    www.music-monster.co.uk

Well said Music Monster, I cant believe what folk are suggesting . I'm going to curl up in a corner and weep.

Lovely instruments I agree but if no one wants them and they are going to seed what else can be done but give them a good send off

Why not drop them from a crane on to boy racers....
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I am looking for a piano!...Angel
    I'm not perfect, which is a shame really, as everyone else is!

I think OXFAM is running an Instrument Amnesty just now . It's connected to the Don't Stop the Music project.
    I'm not sure if this applies to pianos, but it looks like a great idea.