Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's with all the boy racers with backfiring cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Hopper View Post
    Contrarily, the revving is a implicit in them making the car backfire; over-revving on gearchange, so it is very much on topic..
    I dont think so, rev limiters are there to prevent over revving of cars, of course an idiot sitting on the rev limiter could be mistaken for backfiring but it is not.
    Modern high performance turbocharged cars will pop on gearshift occassionally, more often with a sports exhaust system.
    Non turbocharged cars will tend to backfire if they are poorly set up or done deliberately via overrun and control of ignition key, but that only works on carbs which are few and far between these days.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    I dont think so, rev limiters are there to prevent over revving of cars, of course an idiot sitting on the rev limiter could be mistaken for backfiring but it is not.
    Modern high performance turbocharged cars will pop on gearshift occassionally, more often with a sports exhaust system.
    Non turbocharged cars will tend to backfire if they are poorly set up or done deliberately via overrun and control of ignition key, but that only works on carbs which are few and far between these days.
    Not sure if straw-manning me intentionally...

I'm not talking about bouncing off the rev limiter, just excessively revving the engine in order to make this effect happen. Hitting the rev limiter sounds nothing like the noise I am talking about at gear change. And it's not occasionally, it can be apparently made to happen at will.

The cars I am talking about are most likely remapped injection cars for the most part and it also seems as though they may be fitted with longer duration cams and sports exhausts, as previously stated.

The cars I am talking about are most likely remapped injection cars for the most part and it also seems as though they may be fitted with longer duration cams and sports exhausts, as previously stated.
    Nope I am not buying that.
    W.A.T.P.

Nope I am not buying that.
    That's your prerogative. I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions on the matter too.

That's your prerogative. I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions on the matter too.
    Sports exhausts, yes absolutely
    Chipped or remapped possibly, more likely to be on a turbo car then a run of the mill fuel injected car.
    Lumpy cams, Id be interested to hear your evidence for believing that they are changing out their exhaust cam?
    W.A.T.P.

Sports exhausts, yes absolutely
    Chipped or remapped possibly, more likely to be on a turbo car then a run of the mill fuel injected car.
    Lumpy cams, Id be interested to hear your evidence for believing that they are changing out their exhaust cam?
    25 years' experience with cars?

But the point of the thread is the noise and social impact of the behaviour, not the nature of the modifications which their cars do or don't have.

25 years' experience with cars?

But the point of the thread is the noise and social impact of the behaviour, not the nature of the modifications which their cars do or don't have.
    As I thgought, zero evidence whatsoever
    My point is that assuming they are MOT'd and not being prosecuted by the police, then they are road legal, therefore there is no issue here.
    W.A.T.P.

As I thgought, zero evidence whatsoever
    My point is that assuming they are MOT'd and not being prosecuted by the police, then they are road legal, therefore there is no issue here.
    Why are you so hung up on the technical details? I have listed several possible reasons of how the cars may be making this noise - it is not the point of the thread to perform any kind of diagnosis on how it happens, I've only speculated on reasons that I know of which could be causal factors. Do you not understand this? The point of this thread was to gather opinions on the noise and antisocial behaviour underlying, stay on topic. You have given your opinion of a "box-checked", technically legal stand point which I respect, but do not agree with.

OK my apologies.
    Let me rephrase
    If the law of the land says it is ok, then why do you think otherwise?
    W.A.T.P.

OK my apologies.
    Let me rephrase
    If the law of the land says it is ok, then why do you think otherwise?
    Just because to the exact letter of the law* people can get away with it, it does not necessarily follow that it is socially acceptable.

*In fact, referencing again the link to the police Scotland site I made earlier, the definition of noise nuisance from cars does cover this type of complaint, it's weak because it is implied, not explicitly stated, and therefore not a defined modality of offence. The problem is that there is currently no element in the MOT test which caters to the detection for in-motion/transient noise, nor police equipment to tests for this.

More abstractly. the whole crux of the thread is that drivers of these cars are either not thinking about how their behaviour and driving style affects their community, or just simply don't care. I suspect the latter.

I wonder where section 59 sits in all this.

looking at the many police tv shows
    they use this all the time on anti-social behaviour
    by the boy racers.
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

Backfiring is unburnt fuel in the exhaust,on over run/gear change it ignites excessive fuel, its down to the standard map on the ecu not being re-calibrated to suit the modifications,

Removing a catalytic convertor will increase power/emissions,they are restrictive.

Look at the standard Map on a Focus ST and you will see they slightly overfuel on over run,so pop and bang from the factory in standard form,a worn cat on these cars can cause more predomenant backfiring

Leave them alone, they're just young lads and lassies enjoying themselves. All this technical jargon about misfires doesn't matter. It's the old story, just cos you don't like something everybody else has to dislike it too. These kids are hardly criminal masterminds carrying out all sorts of badness, give them a break cos we were all young once.
    As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the skelfs be pointing the right way.

works both ways

give the towns' residences and businesses a break from the noise of the same few cars going around and around the same routes disturbing them all night

Quote Originally Posted by camor View Post
    Leave them alone, they're just young lads and lassies enjoying themselves. All this technical jargon about misfires doesn't matter. It's the old story, just cos you don't like something everybody else has to dislike it too. These kids are hardly criminal masterminds carrying out all sorts of badness, give them a break cos we were all young once.
    That's not in question, but why should the disrespectful behaviour of a few people be tolerated when it offends and adversely affects a great many people? This is the definition of anti-communal.

An exhaust cannot be sold I the uk for road use unless it meets noise regulations.If the car is legal, it can be driven wherever, whenever
    What a load of crap ! might have legal exhaust but what about the catalytic converters they rip out? hence backfiring, as for regulations you can buy whatever you want it's up to you where you decide to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by abz02 View Post
    What a load of crap ! might have legal exhaust but what about the catalytic converters they rip out? hence backfiring, as for regulations you can buy whatever you want it's up to you where you decide to use it.
    As with anything in life, it is up to the individual if they wish to abide by the law.

Fit's in 'e Groat 'e day?
    John O Groat Journal headlines for May 15, 2015

A MAJOR coach tour operator has threatened to scrap visits to John O Groats if the turning circle and parking facilities at the end of the road are not retained under new development plans for the tourist hotspot. Shearings Holidays claims it will have no choice but to remove the Caithness landmark from its schedules if it receives no reassurance about access for coaches as part of regeneration plans being proposed by leisure firm, Natural Retreats.

TOURISTS from Moray have accused boy racers of ruining Wick as a holiday destination, claiming antisocial driving resulted in them cutting short their vacation. Shirley Brand said her caravan holiday with her husband across the north coast of Sutherlan and Caithness was spoiled by the noise of loud exhausts and screeching tyres in the town.

TWO police officers were forced to wade into Wick River to help a young woman who had ignored pleas from onlookers to get out of the water. The drama happened on Tuesday afternoon near the town's Service Bridge at the mouth of the river which flows out to the sea through Wick Harbour.

THE devastation caused by the earthquake in Nepal was "like something you only see in a disaster movie". That was how Caithness nurse Steph Sinclair, who survived the quake and helped treat the injured, described the scenes she encountered in Kathmandu.

THE grandson of a well-known Caithness farm family has been bestowed one of a Borders' town's biggest honours in the same week as the second anniversary of his brother's death. Gregor Hepburn, grandson of the late Dan and Betty Coghill, of Skinnet, Halkirk, has been named as the Hawick Cornet of this year's Common Riding season.

A CHARITY is buzzing after being awarded almost 120,000 to help safeguard one of the last great bumblebee strongholds in the UK - in Caithness. The Bumblee Conservation Trust has received 116,880 from the Heritage Lottery Fund to launch its project Thurso Gateway to the Great Yellow in Caithness.

THURSO can claim to be the home of one of the best steak pies in Scotland after Reid's of Caithness won national recognition at the Scottish Baker of the Year Awards. The firm picked up a national bronze award for its steak pie as well as clinching the top award for its fruit scone and a silver accolade for its multi-seed bread in the north region category.

Quote Originally Posted by dx100uk View Post
    TOURISTS from Moray have accused boy racers of ruining Wick as a holiday destination, claiming antisocial driving resulted in them cutting short their vacation. Shirley Brand said her caravan holiday with her husband across the north coast of Sutherlan and Caithness was spoiled by the noise of loud exhausts and screeching tyres in the town.
    Wick, a holiday destination? They must be having a laugh!
    Caravans are for touring so they would not be spending many nights in Wick. If they could hear the noise of loud exhausts and screeching tyres across the river and upstream from the Norseman Car Park so what? They would know that at least they didn't have to live with it.
    Part of the joy of touring with a caravan is knowing that whatever you experience it will only be for as long as you want to experience it then you move on.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

well at least they can move on

we cant ..

night after night after night..same ole..noise

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast