Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: What's with all the boy racers with backfiring cars?

  1. #1

    Default What's with all the boy racers with backfiring cars?

    I've noticed a huge surge in these anti-social plebs in Wick who have had their cars modified to backfire on gear change. It happens at all hours of the night. Do they think it sounds good and do they not realise/care that it's obnoxious and useless other than to draw attention to their otherwise mediocre cars?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    wick
    Posts
    1,076

    Default

    what about keeping people and babies awake at night.

    round and around like scalextrix cars all night same few cars too.

    was talking to a couple of the bnb owners in the town the other night

    the guests are really complaining about them.
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dx100uk View Post
    what about keeping people and babies awake at night.

    round and around like scalextrix cars all night same few cars too.

    was talking to a couple of the bnb owners in the town the other night

    the guests are really complaining about them.
    Absolutely, and I don't doubt it. It must be bad for business and with them doing in excess of 40MPH routinely, it's only a matter of time before there are fatalities.

    The problem is that no one will do anything about it - parenting is a big part of it too (or lack thereof), also social responsibility is an unknown to many of the teen/tweenagers. It's really irritating.

    No wonder Wick is a shrivelling husk of what it used to be.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Hopper View Post
    Absolutely, and I don't doubt it. It must be bad for business and with them doing in excess of 40MPH routinely, it's only a matter of time before there are fatalities.

    The problem is that no one will do anything about it - parenting is a big part of it too (or lack thereof), also social responsibility is an unknown to many of the teen/tweenagers. It's really irritating.

    No wonder Wick is a shrivelling husk of what it used to be.
    When was the last fatal RTA in Wick?
    W.A.T.P.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    When was the last fatal RTA in Wick?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=matter+of+time

    Plus, I didn't explicitly say RTA fatality - If one of these B&B owners/parents/otherwise disgruntled citizens gets a hold of them...
    Last edited by Pedro Hopper; 17-Aug-14 at 22:09.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Its only a matter of time until the next ice age also
    W.A.T.P.

  7. #7

    Default

    There appear to be a number of options here, over and above bewailing the iniquity of how other folk behave on an Interweb forum.

    Firstly, contact the Community Policing Team at Wick police station. It is part of their job to deal with stuff like this. This works on the basis that as the fuzz aren't actually omnipotent then 'information received' might be of use to them.

    More importantly, it will also generate an incident number.

    I mention this, as the Police have something called the 'Multi Ward Member Team' who have produced a report for the last two years which outline some of the concerns you raise. Unfortunately, the reports for the last two years that are available (2013 and 2014) appear to be almost identical in their content; this means that there is either no progress on this issue or they feel able to just publish the same old nonsense and hope nobody notices.

    As such, if you really want to have any influence on these issues, you first of all need to actively engage the police about your concerns; if there is still no apparent progress, then contacting with your local councillor to address the issue may be the way to go.

    Lastly, as irritating (ie, blood-pressure raising to the point of self-detonation) as it might be, please try to remember we were (mostly) all young and daft at some point; I could quite easily see myself at their age doing something so annoying and only age and experience has left me slightly less stupid that I once was. There are better ways than immediately going all mediaeval armageddon on the poor deluded chavs.

    Peace, love and understading, how hard can it be?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Its only a matter of time until the next ice age also
    Short, pointless, irrelevant and immature.

    Thanks for that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Hopper View Post
    Short, pointless, irrelevant and immature.

    Thanks for that.
    As was your earlier post chief, dont serve what you cannot eat.

    Back on track, if the cars are illegal in modification or being driven illegaly then its a matter for the police.
    If they are not then the lads are free to drive them where and when they please.
    If the B&B guests are displeased then I am sure they can get suitable digs elsewhere.
    W.A.T.P.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sutherland
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Hopefully if the Car is modified in any way (exhaust etc) they have told their Insurance company of the modification?? otherwise the Insurance company may not payout, if they have an accident.
    The question is are they legally insured to drive the vehicle??..
    All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    All mods must be declared to the insurance.
    Towbars, audio the lot
    I cannot see why they would not inform the insurance
    W.A.T.P.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    All mods must be declared to the insurance.
    Towbars, audio the lot
    I cannot see why they would not inform the insurance
    It's a matter of respect which none of them have, especially in the early hours, modifications declared or not there is still a noise limit on exhausts. and like you say is a matter for the police.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abz02 View Post
    It's a matter of respect which none of them have, especially in the early hours, modifications declared or not there is still a noise limit on exhausts. and like you say is a matter for the police.
    An exhaust cannot be sold I the uk for road use unless it meets noise regulations.If the car is legal, it can be driven wherever, whenever
    W.A.T.P.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    An exhaust cannot be sold I the uk for road use unless it meets noise regulations.If the car is legal, it can be driven wherever, whenever
    Obviously, if the exhaust is modified, the manufacturer clearly has no responsibility for this and can not design this out. It also obviously depends on the configuration of the rest of the car, for example longer duration cams will cause the exhaust valve(s) to be held open longer, allowing still-burning cylinder charge out.

    I think it's safe to assume by your user name and fierce defence of this heinous, antisocial behaviour, that your are the owner of such a car?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    You can assume whatever you like.I am not defending anything apart from perhaps a persons right to drive a road legal car where and when they want.So how do you modify an exhaust to make the car backfire?
    W.A.T.P.

  16. #16

    Default

    You do like to misrepresent people, don't you? I didn't say modify the exhaust to make the car backfire, I said only "if the exhaust is modified". Scroll up and re-read. My point is, even if an exhaust is legal at the time of sale, if one were to remove the cat or silencers from the exhaust system, there would be a significant noise increase.

    But surely you acknowledge that an overly-noisy car is antisocial to some people? How would you feel if you were to, say, have an elderly relative or infant who was constantly woken up by such noise? Or a business which was being negatively affected, like the poster who mentioned the B&B?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    The vehicle with the modified exhaust will of course be subject to an annaul MOT (assuming it is a minimum of 3 years old) test, where a diligant tester will pick up on the fact that the CAT has been removed (a CAT however is an emissions reduction device and not necessarily a silencer) or if it is making excessive noise.
    Antisocial is a matter of opinion, noise emissions are quantifiable and measurable.

    The point on relatives or infants depends on if the vehicle was excessively noisy by definition of the law or not.
    Last edited by mi16; 08-Sep-14 at 14:41.
    W.A.T.P.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    The vehicle with the modified exhaust will of course be subject to an annaul MOT (assuming it is a minimum of 3 years old) test, where a diligant tester will pick up on the fact that the CAT has been removed (a CAT however is an emissions reduction device and not necessarily a silencer) or if it is making excessive noise.
    Antisocial is a matter of opinion, noise emissions are quantifiable and measurable.

    The point on relatives or infants depends on if the vehicle was excessively noisy by definition of the law or not.
    Thanks for the edit, it was a little mindless before. Removal of a cat will cause an increase in noise in almost all applications. Also, looking at it from a legal standpoint:

    https://www.gov.uk/noise-pollution-r...e-noise-limits

    "The police can also take action if your vehicle’s silencer doesn’t work in the way it was designed or if you’re driving in a way that creates too much noise."

    That final part is definitely the point of the post, so from that point of view, an offence is being committed, and by "definition of the law" as you put it. Like all things of this nature however, they are complaint-driven, so I would advise all persons who are affected by this to drop an email to:LandwardCaithnessCPT@Scotland.pnn.police.ukThe more people who complain, the more likely it will be that something will be done about it.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Hopper View Post
    Thanks for the edit, it was a little mindless before. Removal of a cat will cause an increase in noise in almost all applications. Also, looking at it from a legal standpoint:

    https://www.gov.uk/noise-pollution-r...e-noise-limits

    "The police can also take action if your vehicle’s silencer doesn’t work in the way it was designed or if you’re driving in a way that creates too much noise."

    That final part is definitely the point of the post, so from that point of view, an offence is being committed, and by "definition of the law" as you put it. Like all things of this nature however, they are complaint-driven, so I would advise all persons who are affected by this to drop an email to:LandwardCaithnessCPT@Scotland.pnn.police.ukThe more people who complain, the more likely it will be that something will be done about it.
    Not necessarily no, for example a turbocharger does the majority of silencing in vehicles equipped with one.
    Indeed, the point I am making is the "too much noise" is quantifiable and measureable i.e the police can measure a vehicles noise emissions with a suitably calibrated decibel meter then it is black and white if it is too noisy or not.
    As plagiarised from the DFT website
    "The current noise test for passenger cars, as set out in EU Directive 92/97
    as amended, consists of driving the vehicle into the test area at a speed of 50
    km/hr and then accelerating at full throttle through it past a microphone. The
    microphone is placed at a set distance from the line of travel and it measures
    the maximum level of noise reached which is then compared to the limit value to
    determine whether the vehicle passes or fails.
    The test area is surrounded by an open area to avoid sound reflections and
    the road surface is carefully constructed to a set standard to ensure
    consistency of results."


    However there is another angle which may be excessive revving of the engine or noise pollution from car audio, however that is not the subject matter of the thread.
    W.A.T.P.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    However there is another angle which may be excessive revving of the engine or noise pollution from car audio, however that is not the subject matter of the thread.
    Contrarily, the revving is a implicit in them making the car backfire; over-revving on gearchange, so it is very much on topic.

    Car audio is another thing.... and they're sort of punishing themselves.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •