Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: vista ultimate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default vista ultimate

hi, i was hoping some one can help me here, i have been given vista ultimate as a gift, but i do not know if i aught to install it or not. my pc is new and is more than compatible for it but i have heard that it,s not all that hot [vista that is] some say that the servers have not caught up with vista yet. should i install it now ,wait a while or just not bother.? any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    hi, i was hoping some one can help me here, i have been given vista ultimate as a gift, but i do not know if i aught to install it or not. my pc is new and is more than compatible for it but i have heard that it,s not all that hot [vista that is] some say that the servers have not caught up with vista yet. should i install it now ,wait a while or just not bother.? any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
    ps i am running on xp sp2 at the moment.

You can download a Microsoft advisor tool to check your PC/Drivers & Applications for Vista readiness.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

I have issues with a few programs that I use but on the whole most of my applications seem to work with Vista.

I've used Vista on my brothers laptop and I like it, I'd upgrade tomorrow if all of my applications would work, I really like all the WMC components that are included.

I'll probably go for Vista Premium when the time comes, I have XP Professional at the moment but I can't really justify paying the extra for Ultimate, my networking needs are covered by Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Manson View Post
    You can download a Microsoft advisor tool to check your PC/Drivers & Applications for Vista readiness.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

I have issues with a few programs that I use but on the whole most of my applications seem to work with Vista.

I've used Vista on my brothers laptop and I like it, I'd upgrade tomorrow if all of my applications would work, I really like all the WMC components that are included.

I'll probably go for Vista Premium when the time comes, I have XP Professional at the moment but I can't really justify paying the extra for Ultimate, my networking needs are covered by Premium.
    hi colin, thanks for the reply, so in my shoes would you just download the vista ultimate[i have it here in the box anyway] or?

I'd run the upgrade checker and see if everything works on your system, if it does then I'd install Vista.

Some hardware drivers aren't updated yet and I know that there have been major issues with USB ADSL modems.

The only thing that is stopping my upgrade is my Neromix program (not vista compatable) that I use for converting my Music CDs to mp3s, I'll probably just move that program to another PC before I upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Manson View Post
    I'd run the upgrade checker and see if everything works on your system, if it does then I'd install Vista.

Some hardware drivers aren't updated yet and I know that there have been major issues with USB ADSL modems.

The only thing that is stopping my upgrade is my Neromix program (not vista compatable) that I use for converting my Music CDs to mp3s, I'll probably just move that program to another PC before I upgrade.
    thanks colin i have run it but a message keeps popping up saying that it has found an error and if the scan does not work to uninstall the upgrade checker and install the latest one,??