Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Please recommend adventure fiction novels.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Please recommend adventure fiction novels.

There is a confusing array of novels in the shops and on the internet. I like sci-fi and adventure fiction. I don't like all the sex and violence that seems so common everywhere.

Please can you tell me if you have read any adventure novels that would suit. I don't mind long books, one of my all time favourites is Centennial which is a big read.

I can't tell from internet descriptions and reviews whether most books are, what could be termed, X-rated or not. I must be getting old AND confused, so please, help!

Thank you from susie.

Hi Susie,
    I wonder what you mean by ' adventure' It could vary !
    Recently I read A Scot Returns, A journey from Bali to Skye by Alastair Scott, and enjoyed it very much.
    It certainly was an adventure for me as I dont travel apart from in books !
    Good luck .
    Trinkie

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Hi Susie,
    I wonder what you mean by ' adventure' It could vary !
    Recently I read A Scot Returns, A journey from Bali to Skye by Alastair Scott, and enjoyed it very much.
    It certainly was an adventure for me as I dont travel apart from in books !
    Good luck .
    Trinkie
    Thanks Trinkie, I'm going to try your book, I don't mind giving anything good a go. I suppose by 'adventure' I mean folk going about pioneering or searching for things, exploring etc. It's fiction I most like to read. I'm pleased with your reply. Cheerio from susie.

Have a look for Jasper Fforde, whose genre is so confusing to librarians it can be found in Sci-Fi, Crime and fiction sections.

There is also the obvious choice in Dan Brown, who despite being a terrible writer is quite a good storyteller. Except for his last, Inferno, which was just utter rubbish whichever way you look at these things. I say this as someone whose threshold for quality is quite low...

Classic choice might be The 39 Steps by John Buchan, or for a more intelligent read Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household.

Failing that, there's always the Bible; however I'd stick to the New Testament, as the Old Testament might be a bit too racy...

My fall-back book series is The Courtney's of Africa by Wilbur Smith - I've read & reread the first 7 books over & over...I know that sounds strange but, despite owning others in the series, I've not yet felt the need to venture beyond them!

I second the recommendation for Jasper Fforde, he's great.

The Eight by Katherine Neville is extremely good - I read it when it was first published in 1988 and still re-read it every couple of years or so. She's a kind of well-written Dan Brown, it's a total page-turner.