Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Local Original Bands

Default Local Original Bands

There seems to be a pretty healthy functioning scene going just now and it's a darn good thing. Well done to all who plow their own furrow. Anybody like me ever worry about being original? I'm not casting any stones or commenting on local bands or implying that local bands aint original! The nut of my point is I write music too and strive to keep it as unique as i can, and i just wondered if any fellow composers have any thoughts on it. It's not easy when people say it's all bin done before.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

fact of it is, most of what one can write has probably been done before

I gave up deliberately trying to be different & just let the inspiration flow. Obviously if it's to close to something then it's time to rethink. I like it when people say "it reminds me of something, but I don't know what"

I aslo sometimes "write in the style of" Steely Dan is a biggy of mine & I've also written songs that are obviously inspired by eg. SRV. The track in question became a tribute to SRV

IMHO people can lose a lot of the essance by striving so hard to be different. Just let the music happen & if it makes you (the author) smile then it's right

I have penned a few songs but rarely play them at gigs, reason being the Gaels is a Rock/Blues band and I like to write acoustic based folky stuff which wouldn't particularly fit in with our repertoire, it fun to do though.
    i also wrote the lyrics to our last two albums, challenging but fun.